Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Referrals in Los Angeles/Orange County (CA)

Hello everyone :-)

I was wondering if anyone on this site could refer me to a doctor in the Los Angeles or Orange County areas.

Also, this is the beginning of my research, and I would love to know:

1. Typically, how much this surgery costs if you pay out of pocket?

2. If anyone has United HealthCare Insurance, if so, did they approve procedure?

3. Do you have a lot of pain post-op? I'm a total chicken!

4. Worst part of this procedure

5. Best part of this procedure

6. Time it takes to see real results (if you follow the rules, of course!)

Thanks so much! I appreciate any info/help you can give me!

Something4Me

I cannot answer your questions about Dr's in your area, I am not anywhere near you...I just wanted to tell you, that you might come back here in a little while, and bump your question, so it pops back up to the top. Being place specific, it might catch someones attention then that it didn't the first time around.

I would be glad to answer the ones I can, that are universal in nature.

#3. I had very very little pain. I was given something for pain into my IV shortly after comingout of surgery, then refused anymore (it gives me killer headaches). I never took anything else until our flight home (5 hours) and I took a dose of liquid Tylenol. I personally did not have any gas pain, and only minor incision pain.

#4. worst part??? I would say learning how to overcome the head hunger, where you really aren't hungry, but you have developed snacking ond overeating habits, and you sometimes still want to eat that way---but you can't.

#5. best part? so so many!!! I am off of all prescription meds. I had taken 2 for high blood pressure and one for a pre diabetes issue,and take none now. I have gone from a size 22/24 to a loose 16, and can shop pretty much anywhere now. I can play with my grandbabies on the floor, and outside. I am more comfortable in my skin, has made me a happier person. My husband loves my new confidence. Our love life has improved! I am no longer the biggest person in the room when we go places. I don't snore anymore. I am telling you, this list could go on for days...I LOVE my band!!!

#6. I am 6 1/2 months out, and by months end, I will be down 75 pounds! I have lost over 43" now...I saw results within the first month. Others may not have noticed that early, but I did. Within a few weeks, my rings were too big, and my bra was too big around. Now even my size 16's can be slid off without unbuttoning or unzipping them!!! And I try to eat healthy for the most part, but I am living a normal life, I eat sweets occasionally (quite often if the truth be told!!!) I eat what I fix for my DH, I just eat a lot less. I do not feel deprived. If we have potatoes, I eat a few bites, but I try to eat healthier, because I need good nutrition, and since my pouch now only holds a small amount, I need it to count.

I have had 2 fills since surgery, and have 1.75cc.'s in a band designed to hold up to 4cc.'s. I feel very good restriction where I am at, and have no plans for any further fills at this time.

Good luck finding answers to your other questions. I just didn't want you to think we were all ignoring you. Weekends are either really busy here or really slow....so if you don;t get responses, just bump the question and it brings it to light again.

Good Luck and welcome to LBT!!

Kat

Dr. Quebbaman in Laguna Beach is wonderful and highly experienced. He was not my band doctor but was trained by my band doctor. I had a friend who had surgery withhim and is very happy withhim and his staff. he works out of South Coast Medical and also has an office in Hungtington beach. You can also email Dan Mills atInamed Dan.Mills@inamed.com he will send you a list of Inamed certified surgeons in your area. Good Luck :)

Hi, Something4me. Great answer, Kat! I was banded 11 days ago by Dr. Kelly Francis at Orange Coast Memorial in Fountain Vally, right there in Orange County. She is part of a team headed by Dr. LePort, and they also do surgery at Fountain Valley Medical Hospital. They are AWESOME!! My surgical experience could not have been better. I had very little pain, my incisions have given me no problems and I felt great the next day after surgery. I have some unique health issues and they made them seem non-existant because they dealt with them so efficiently. I would recommend them in a heartbeat! Good luck with your decision and keep posting.

Karen

Thank you so much Kat, Karen, and La Madame for your help. I am totally new to discussion boards (can u believe it?), so could you tell me where to post again??

S4M