Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to freak

Now. I don't *like* posting this because it seems attention grabbing to me, but. Hold me!

Now that I realized that I'll be waking in the morning saying "5 more days", I'm starting to feel like I wonder if my feet will even carry me to the airport that day. (Mexico sirgery) thank god I got a script for Ativan for this (first) plane ride. I've never taken anything like that, but this is one of those times.

During the day when the kids are awake and I'm busy, I feel fine. When they go to bed an all is quiet, and when I wake up at 4am because I can't sleep, I can't stop thinkng about it. "Am I really going to go through with this? This is huuuuge. " racing thoughts. I bought some calms forte, but realized I can't have herbal meds the week prior to. Sigh. I guess I'll just have to suffer. Too bad the Ativan is so addictive, if take half a day until then for these nerves.

Anyway, talk me down please? Tell me stories about your nerves and how it all turned out A OK?? Pat my shoulder and say there there?

This is all SO outside of my comfort zone. I'm just a small town woman. I'm a mommy and wife. I barely get out of the house, much less the country. And a plane? Fahgehtaboutit. Lets get on a plane, leave the country and while you're at it, let a stranger revamp your insides. Gah! Lol

Deep breaths. I'm not scared. Just anxious about the unknown.

Amy!

Your stuck with me to talk you down :(

I understand your fears this is a major thing to do! And all of us had fears going into it!

But something big had to be done for me because I tried everything else as I'm sure you did too.

Ok.. the Mexico part, I hope that someone else chimes in on that one because I don't have experience with it..

But you and I both know a whole lot of people to there everyday and have it done, and are just fine!!

Girl take your Ativan !

I was anxious as well. I'd never been in the hospital for any reason in 46 years. Then I found myself asking for part of my stomach to be removed. I was in denial right up to the point where they wheeled me into the pre-op waiting room. Then it hit me and I was thinking, "What if I got up right now and walked out of here, just yanked the IV out and left?"

But what kept me on track was the same motivator I have used over the years. I ask myself, "Do you really want to be in this situation or worse a year from now?" And for me the answer was "no", I couldn't see anything getting better without the surgery.

I have not had any regrets. I feel like I am in control of my life again.

Trust me, you aren't alone with these thoughts. Its as if I could of written them myself. But I know it's just my anxiety getting the best of me. I sat down today and wrote out all my fears for the surgery and then I tore the paper up. Honestly it really helped! I'm not going to let my anxiety stop me, I've come too far. And so have you! Try to stay positive! Good vibes only! We're almost there! (I'm March 1st!)

I am 4 weeks post sleeve in 2 days. I was very nervous, as I know you are. I did so much research before hand as I am a nurse and wanted to know as much as I could to choose the best option. I did not sleep at all the night before my surgery. My procedure went very well and I was home the evening of the day after my surgery. There were 3 other VSG's on my hospital floor and they all stayed another day. The pain was not as bad I thought it was going to be, but i will not lie to you, I was Hurting the day after the surgery. Thank god for meds, morphine is good stuff, and will allow you to get some rest. By post surgery day two i was up on my feet, barely, still pain but manageable and mostly when moving around. Went home with percocet for pain, only took two the first night home to get comforable enough to sleep. Took one the next two nights and then stopped taking them all together. Was a couple of weeks till i had no incisional and abdominal muscle pain when moving and bending over especially. Also a few weeks before i coulsleep on my side comfortably but that has alot to do with my big belly. I have lost 40 pounds already and have not vommited once. I am deathly afraid to vomit and harm something internally, but that is my phobia. I can honestly tell you that I am feeling better already,and i am very pleased with my decision. It is not an easy road or a shortcut, its pain and now sacrifice, but it is well worth it. I wish you luck and hope you have a smooth time of it.

Thanks for the reassurance, friends. <3

I definitely don't want to be stuck living this miserable life for any longer. Just last Friday I was at the mall looking in a store for a couple tshirts to take with me on my trip to mx. Wouldn't you know, the store I mostly wanted to look in (Missouri tigers shop), didnt have anything my size. I'm an xl or xxl, depending. That makes me feel like a freak every time. I just wanted a hot pink mizzou shirt for crying out loud! Oh it's even better when they DO have your size, but charge $3 more for the extra yardage. Big sigh. I'm tired of missing out on so much because of my low self esteem. :(

Life B starts in less than a week.

Kanes mom I know what day your surgery is. We are on the march 1 thread together. Hehe.

Can I just get this over with already? Lol

Amy , this is the one thing when you look back you will be so happy that you did . I can only speak for myself, I was so nervous and anxious I was going to cancel the surgery everyday for about 2 weeks . I sat down and thought about it . I can't lose the weight on my own so this was my only solution . Once I had this mind frame all my anxiety went away . Yes, it's hard to travel hopefully someone will be with you. There are so many people on this forum that go to Mexico and they seem to be happy . I trusted my DR 100% so that helped. You will not only changing your life for the better , you will be changing your whole family's life ... Good luck :)

How are you doing today, Amytug?

I'm a midwife and former OR nurse. I've seen and assisted on HUNDREDS of surgeries...ortho, GYN, plastics, abdominal and heart surgeries, etc.

But when I had my only surgery to take out my gall bladder, I was a total MESS! It was embarrassing....trying to be brave, tears rolling down my cheeks, shaking uncontrollably, you get the idea. They gave me 3 doses of Versed and i still remember the conversation I had with the surgeon about her secret to making fantastic Greek green Beans. ( versed is supposed to make you forget most everything)

Bottom line is take your Ativan and when you get there and are still anxious, ask for something else. Going into surgery freaking out isn't a great idea.

Let us know how you are doing.

Deborah

P.S. the secret is using Greek oregano, not Italian

Better.

The Ativan was actually prescribed for my plane ride, but I took one today just in case I have any sort of reactions and so that in know what dosage to take. He pills are only .5mg and I think I might need 2. I'm not even positive they did anything for me at all.

My nerves are better. I think ive had every emotion known to man in the last here weeks since I booked my flight and today's is "ready to get this over with". If I could go today I would.

:) thx for checking up on me.

Smart decision to test it out a few times before you're on your way!