Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just an Update...

So, I went to a WLS seminar yesterday here in Oklahoma. As soon as I walked in the room I got nervous for whatever reason. There was a lady taking people's insurance/ID and a nurse weighing/measuring people. Yikes! I wasnt ready for this! I had just learned that I lost 5 pounds (for no reason and in 2 days, mind you). I know, I know...I should be happy about any weight loss. But I wasnt primarily because my BMI may not be high enough as it is to be approved through UHC...and losing a little bit of weight right now sure isnt going to help me have a surgery that will help my health long-term. Anyway, I didnt turn back and went through their routine. There was about 10 different sets of couples and a handful of single people for the seminar. I listened intently to the nurse educating us on the ins and outs of both procedures. I got to listen to two testominals from happy looking patients. And I was very calm about it...even when they discussed the possible complications, etc. So, one step down, many many many steps to go.

I was dismayed that they make sure your insurance will cover you before you do a consultation, but I still filled out the paperwork. I didnt turn in the paperwork because I didnt have all of the neccessary info. But I left the seminar feeling really relieved that I went. Today, my best friend called me. I have convinced her to look into lapband with me. She is 5'1" and 220lbs, but she has diabetes, etc etc etc. She had called the doctor that my Lapband Mentor is going through (a different doctor from the one I picked out) and was able to get a consultation set up for November 6, 2006. I called the doctor and set up a consultation for the same day, right after hers so we can go together.

But now I am nervous because I dont know which doctor I should go to. My seminar doctor will run my info through UHC and then contact me to let me know if they will approve it, within two weeks. However, from there, it would be another month to 2 months before the surgery date. Which is the only downside. With my mentor's doctor, you go to the consultation, and then they submit the information to UHC. The benefit of the second way is that you perform all neccessary tests while they are submitting the information to UHC. However, you have to pay for these tests and if you arent approved, then you just paid alot of money out of pocket, for nothing.

So, I guess I just answered my own question and solved my own situation...thanks, its always nice talking things out with you. hehe

So, I guess I will be going to my original doctor, primarily because I should know within two weeks if I am approved. Plus, he was recommended by my own doctor.

So, the journey begins...wish me luck!!! :)

Stephanee

You have my good luck wishes, Stephanie. It sounds like the process is humming along.

My band buddy Jane and I were self pay in Mexico at the same time. For me it's a chunk of money that I plan to pay off in a year. For her, being a single mom on a low income, it's huge. However, just last night we were talking and she said that it's the best investment she ever made, the financial sacrifice was well worth it, etc.

So I guess what I'm saying is, all this hoop jumping will be worth it. Hang in there.

Good on you Stephanee

good luck! I hope all is going well...make sure you up date us on your progress.

:)