Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I ran into a friend last week and you could tell she was losing weight. She was probably about 20 lbs lighter. I hadn't seen her in over 2 years. I asked what her secret was and she told me she had the gastric sleeve about 1.5 years ago in Mexico. She told me she went from a size 20 to a size 4 but then stretched her sleeve. I was hesitant to believe her at first so I did my research and sure enough, she did have the surgery. Is it possible for your sleeve to stretch?

OK so here's what Ive read/heard: The part of the stomach that is removed is the really stretchy part (as opposed to gastric bypass, which leaves the real stretchy part so sometimes that will stretch). With the sleeve, you would have to consistently eat excessively, like to the point of being sick to get it to somewhat stretch, and I mean, you'd have to be making yourself absolutely sick almost all the time to accomplish this. So, unlikely it ruly "stretched". HOWEVER, the stomach is swollen and there is a lot of restrictiion in the beginning that will relax over time as the body heals and I suppose some could interpret this as stretching.

Bottom line though is like what laura said -- you can always find a way to eat CRAP and gain weight back. You won't be eating huge volume again but you can find nasty unhealthy dense food that fits just fine, or slides right through, or you can find things that slide through and allow you to graze.

I know that when I get sleeved I will be committing to eating a different way to maximize the sleeve as a tool. It's so cliche but it makes so much sense -- the sleeve is a tool to finally make a lifestyle change that shows good long lasting resullts with my weight problem. Fill up on Protein, then veggies & fruit, and carbs if there's any room left. Once I've got some weight off me, I will become more active, and that in turn will also help me control my weight.

I have read posts of veterans, and those who commit to changing their life style -- eat right and enjoy exercise, have long term success. Those who don't get active and find the junky food again, don't. I think saying the sleeve stretched is a cop out and illustrates that the person looked at getting sleeved as a 'magic bullet' and didn't commit to the lifestyle change.

That's just my opinion. . . .I'll climb off my soap box now . . . ;)

Yes the girl up there is right! They remove the "fundus" that is the stretchy part of the stomach.

There will be some relaxing after the first six months or so but it can never go back to the way it was:)

OK so here's what Ive read/heard: The part of the stomach that is removed is the really stretchy part (as opposed to gastric bypass, which leaves the real stretchy part so sometimes that will stretch). With the sleeve, you would have to consistently eat excessively, like to the point of being sick to get it to somewhat stretch, and I mean, you'd have to be making yourself absolutely sick almost all the time to accomplish this. So, unlikely it ruly "stretched". HOWEVER, the stomach is swollen and there is a lot of restrictiion in the beginning that will relax over time as the body heals and I suppose some could interpret this as stretching.

Bottom line though is like what laura said -- you can always find a way to eat CRAP and gain weight back. You won't be eating huge volume again but you can find nasty unhealthy dense food that fits just fine, or slides right through, or you can find things that slide through and allow you to graze.

I know that when I get sleeved I will be committing to eating a different way to maximize the sleeve as a tool. It's so cliche but it makes so much sense -- the sleeve is a tool to finally make a lifestyle change that shows good long lasting resullts with my weight problem. Fill up on Protein, then veggies & fruit, and carbs if there's any room left. Once I've got some weight off me, I will become more active, and that in turn will also help me control my weight.

I have read posts of veterans, and those who commit to changing their life style -- eat right and enjoy exercise, have long term success. Those who don't get active and find the junky food again, don't. I think saying the sleeve stretched is a cop out and illustrates that the person looked at getting sleeved as a 'magic bullet' and didn't commit to the lifestyle change.

That's just my opinion. . . .I'll climb off my soap box now . . . ;)

I agree... With the exception of the comparison to the bypass. When a bypass patient talks about "stretching their stomach" it's actually a misnomer. The bypass pouch is not made of the fundus, it is just the very top part of the stomach that is stapled into a pouch. It is actually the connection that the doctor creates between the stomach and the intestine that looses it's tightness and food is allowed to go quickly into the intestine, almost making the intestine act like a full size stomach! Because Sleeve patients do not have any alteration of the connection between stomach and intestine, then this is not an issue for us.

Also I've heard some people compare sleeve stretching due to consistent overeating to blowing up a balloon. The first time you blow up a balloon it is very resistant and difficult to do, but as you inflate and deflate it many times it then it will become easier to blow up. It's not stretched out, and there is still going to be some resistance to blowing up, but it's just not going to be quite as tight as before.

serendipity thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding of the bypass. honestly when i learned they rearrange everything i said "no thank you" ! and the bit about turning your intestine into a stomach...just ewww :blink: