Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Sleever, Excited and Terrified

I have gone through all of the pre-op requirements, been approved by my insurance company, and have a surgery date of 3/5.

It's been a hard journey. At 37, with high blood pressure (been on meds for six years) and high cholesterol, I chose to look into this surgery to live a longer and healthier life, and to get my weight under control once and for all. My BMI is 38. I have three children and want to be around go see their children grow up. My husband has been amazing and supportive.

I have an excellent surgeon with a fantastic track record and very low complication rate. I feel like I'll be in excellent hands, but of course I'm still nervous and anxious because it is major surgery and will require lifelong changes that a of yet, I have been unable to make long term on my own.

If anyone has any words of advice for the first couple of weeks post-op, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance for your support!

I have gone through all of the pre-op requirements' date=' been approved by my insurance company, and have a surgery date of 3/5.

It's been a hard journey. At 37, with high blood pressure (been on meds for six years) and high cholesterol, I chose to look into this surgery to live a longer and healthier life, and to get my weight under control once and for all. My BMI is 38. I have three children and want to be around go see their children grow up. My husband has been amazing and supportive.

I have an excellent surgeon with a fantastic track record and very low complication rate. I feel like I'll be in excellent hands, but of course I'm still nervous and anxious because it is major surgery and will require lifelong changes that a of yet, I have been unable to make long term on my own.

If anyone has any words of advice for the first couple of weeks post-op, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance for your support![/quote']

Congratulations!!

My wife and I both had the surgery this month.

I was very worried and had anxiety. Here is my Two Cents: 1) Ask your doctor/surgeon for a referral from someone that had it done by them. Call and ask questions. 2) Know that the sacrifice is worth the means. It is "tough" and makes you disciplined starting a week before surgery. However, by 4/5/13 you will be feeling much better and likely 15%+\- lighter continuing further weight loss. 3) Medication and Water become your friend. I was actually offered a relaxer prior to surgery. Hind sight: the I.V. was the greatest pain at the hospital; Trapped Gas thereafter.

Sorry for the verbose response, but I hope this helps.

Thanks do much for your words of advice! Interesting enough, I don't have an extended pre-op diet, just clears the day before surgery and then nothing after midnight. Actually, if I lost 15% of my body weight I wouldn't qualify for the surgery because I'd fall below the required BMI. I've read all about the struggles people have with strict pre-op diets, so I guess I feel a bit relieved that I'm able to bypass that part. Thanks again for your support.

I have gone through all of the pre-op requirements' date=' been approved by my insurance company, and have a surgery date of 3/5.

If anyone has any words of advice for the first couple of weeks post-op, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance for your support![/quote']

What Dr?

Dr. O'Malley at Highland.

Wonderful I'm being sleeved the 20th by Dr Gandhi at Rochester general

Hope surgery went well today

yes, i too hope your surgery went well. I have completed all my pre reqs for surgery and am just waiting patiently for the next step.Thank you so much for joining and sharing your story. I look forward to being more active through my journey as well :D . Congrats on your new life!

Dr. O'Malley at Highland.

I am also going through Dr. O'Malley!! Its so nice to find another Rochestarian on this site!! Please feel free to email me and keep in contact, I would really like to meet others in the area that are having the surgery. I have my second NUT appointment in 2 weeks and after that I will be meeting with the Dr...still no surgery date yet, but I feel that it is coming close and I am getting so nervous!!

Please let me know how your experience goes!

I am also going through Dr. O'Malley!! Its so nice to find another Rochestarian on this site!! Please feel free to email me and keep in contact' date=' I would really like to meet others in the area that are having the surgery. I have my second NUT appointment in 2 weeks and after that I will be meeting with the Dr...still no surgery date yet, but I feel that it is coming close and I am getting so nervous!!

Please let me know how your experience goes![/quote']

Congrats I'm having surgery done at rgh...with Dr.Gandhi March 20th....