Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

Ok, Oldtimer stopping in with a reality check. :mad: First, let me say that I'm posting this because I STILL do this...it's something I'm constantly working on. If I were a perfect bandster, I wouldn't be struggling with the last 20 lbs that I want to lose. I've been where you are (newly banded) and I've had these types of things said to me and I'd like to think that, as much as I didn't want to hear them, they've helped me.

First, most of us are obese because we have an emotional attachment to food. For us, it's not just about eating for nutrition and health. Ideally, what we eat SHOULD be about nutrition and nothing more. But we eat when we're happy, sad, lonely, stressed, bored, or sick. We eat in celebration, we eat as part of a social activity, we eat because it tastes GOOD.

The first step in changing this is to recognize it. Yes, losing weight and maintaining it IS about giving up your relationship with food. You need to accept that.

Next, you have to start changing how you THINK about food. I've been reading lots of posts about people STARVING, certain foods being SO good, something "being worth it," etc. Not trying to pick on any one person here...we all do it. But those types of phrases are FULL of emotional attachment to food. NO one on this board is starving. Talking about some food being so worth it or so good...well, what is it worth? Is it worth staying obese for the rest of your life? If so, then why did you get banded? If "cheating" once meant that you'd lose your band, would you do it? Probably not. But that's what we tell ourselves...this ONCE won't hurt, or if I chew really well, it's OK if I eat this solid food too soon. Well, it ain't true folks. It doesn't matter how much you Vitamix or chew a solid food...it's still more solid than a liquid or soft food because the Proteins and Fiber in are different.

Then, as you progress in your banding journey, it becomes really easy to say that this ONE cookie won't hurt, or this one bite (or two) of hamburger will be ok...and in most cases, that's true. But then, the scales stop moving and we wonder why? Because it was one cookie, one bite of hamburger, one sip of this and one nibble of that...and before you know it, you've had too many calories for the week.

I'm not saying that we can never indulge in a cookie. I'm saying that, while you're actively trying to lose weight, you need to tell yourself "Not yet." Reward yourself with a new outfit, or jewelry, or make-up...but you need to start transfering your "love" of certain foods to things that won't make you fat.

So, back to the "emotions follow thoughts" idea. If you tell yourself that you're STARVING, then you start to believe it. You start to feel deprived and you start telling yourself that you NEED to eat something...none of which is true. So try changing what you THINK. Instead of thinking that you're starving, tell yourself that Yes, you're hungry and that's a GOOD thing. Because that means your body will use some of those stored calories for energy and you'll lose weight. Use that hungry feeling to really begin learning the difference between head hunger and physical hunger. Use that hunger as an excuse to drink more Water instead of eating more food.

Same thing for those foods that are "SO good and SO worth it." Instead of being happy that you ate raviolis (which really are NOT a nutritious food no matter how you look at it), tell yourself the opposite. Such as, gosh, those are just refined Pasta, high fat blobs with very little nutrition. I should feed my body something HEALTHY if I'm really hungry...not some over-processed, high fat junk food.

Your emotions follow your thoughts. So the next time you think that you're starving, remind yourself that no, you're just hungry. The next time you start thinking that a cookie would be SO good, tell yourself that no, you're just wanting a sugar fix and try having a piece of fruit instead. It really does help...

Cindy

But that's what we tell ourselves...this ONCE won't hurt, or if I chew really well, it's OK if I eat this solid food too soon. Well, it ain't true folks. It doesn't matter how much you Vitamix or chew a solid food...it's still more solid than a liquid or soft food because the Proteins and fiber in are different.

Cindy,

Can you clarify what you said about solid foods? I'm 8 days post-op and am eating mostly soft foods (cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs, juice, polenta), but for dinner I'm eating fish and vegetables (grilled until they are practically mush). I'm also eating a little chicken and some other solid foods in very small quantities. I have not had any problems that I know of. I'm still burping constantly, but that started immediately after surgery. What is the big deal about soft food vs. solid food? I need some education. Thanks.

enterprise01, I was banded the same day you were and, based on my doctor's post-surgery diet guide, have just gone from Clear Liquids to pureed cream Soups, Protein Shakes, and thin cream of wheat for Breakfast. On my plan I can begin solid foods in about another week or ten days.

I don't know what is good or bad, right or wrong, I'm just passing on this for informations sake.

enterprise01, I was banded the same day you were and, based on my doctor's post-surgery diet guide, have just gone from clear liquids to pureed cream Soups, Protein Shakes, and thin cream of wheat for breakfast. On my plan I can begin solid foods in about another week or ten days.

I don't know what is good or bad, right or wrong, I'm just passing on this for informations sake.

My doc said liquids for 24-48 hours post-op, then soft foods for 4 weeks, then solid food after that. I'm just not sure where the boundary is between soft and solid food or why it's that important.

Cindy,

Can you clarify what you said about solid foods? I'm 8 days post-op and am eating mostly soft foods (cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs, juice, polenta), but for dinner I'm eating fish and vegetables (grilled until they are practically mush). I'm also eating a little chicken and some other solid foods in very small quantities. I have not had any problems that I know of. I'm still burping constantly, but that started immediately after surgery. What is the big deal about soft food vs. solid food? I need some education. Thanks.

I have the same doc as you and I understood the soft foods to mean you could add soft foods to the full liquid (cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs, soft fish, very well cooked vegetables). I asked Shirley and she said to avoid red meat, chicken, pork, lamb and other meats until 5 weeks post op. She said most any canned vegetable that is very soft would be okay. I have eaten canned asparagus too. I have not had any problems with vomiting or PB at all. I do limit my portion to 4-6 oz. at a meal, chewing very well these soft foods.

what is the trick to sipping without getting air in there? can you describe it?

I finally had to start using a starbucks hot cup to drink out of. The little hole stopped me from gulping.

Enterprise, most doctors recommend staying on liquids for 2 weeks post-op, but if your doc said 24-48 hrs, then soft foods, then he must think it's ok. For soft foods, one of the "general" guidelines is that it must be easily mushed with a fork for it to be considered soft. So canned vegetables, cottage cheese, soft fish, yogurt, etc. are all considered soft. meat is definitely a solid food. I'm sure that your doctor's office can provide you a complete list.

Again, it doesn't matter if it goes down fine and you don't have any problems with it...because you don't know what your stomach is doing. It's the same rationale behind trying your best to NOT vomit or pb during the first 6 weeks. Your stomach is forming scar tissue around the band. Prior to the scar tissue forming, the only thing holding your band in place is a few stitches. So the more *active* your stomach is by digesting solid foods, the less likely that scar tissue will form where it should.

I don't know that there have been any studies that correlate early solids with band slips, but it wouldn't surprise me if this were the case.

You need to follow your surgeon's guidelines because it's not about eating what "feels ok." It's about eating what will allow your stomach to heal. And even beyond that, it's about eating what will allow you to lose weight. I can eat a donut just fine...it goes down fine and I have no trouble with it. The same is true of all sorts of sweets and junk...but it's not ok for me to eat them because I'm trying to lose weight.

Cindy

Cindy,

I just wanted to say that there is a huge variety of Post Op diets, some Dr's do allow for meats on the 2nd week. Mine also allowed for tuna and chicken that is very soft. Just saying that to each his own. One does not mean that it is better than the other. I have yet to see any evidence that eating meat to early with hurt your band. I'm sure if this was the case that Dr's would not allow it. As for the emotional attachment I couldn't agree more, we all got our self and if we don't change our steps we won't end up very far i'm sure.

Thanks for the lecture, Cindy. You are sooo right. I have been so hungry yesterday and today that I have been tempted to forget about mushies and move on to real food. With your kick, I am back in line. This is my new life - I do not want to go back to my old ways.

:rolleyes: Thanks for the slap upside my head!

Cindy,

I just wanted to say that there is a huge variety of Post Op diets, some Dr's do allow for meats on the 2nd week. Mine also allowed for tuna and chicken that is very soft. Just saying that to each his own. One does not mean that it is better than the other.

Sara, that's why I said "most" doctors recommend liquid diets for the first 2 weeks.

As for the "to each his own"...I'm not sure that I agree with that. I DO think that some surgeons are better than others...not only in surgical technique, but patient education and bandster guidelines. Some surgeons say that it's ok to drink carbonated drinks despite Inamed (the maker of the band) saying that we shouldn't. Maybe eating solids too early won't hurt the band...but if you haven't seen evidence that it DOESN'T, I would much prefer to err on the side of caution.

Put more simply...we can't prove that eating solids early does or doesn't hurt the band. But if so many doctors recommend liquids for 2 weeks, then mushies for 2, then finally solids, I'm going to be cautious and stick with the crowd on this one.

Cindy

Shawn your rash might be a reaction to the band or the surgery. I would definitely recommend you get it checked out asap. Even if it is just an allergic reaction, you are WAY better safe than sorry. Not trying to be a downer.... just concerned.

I'm not going to be banded in Jan. :rolleyes: I'm still waiting for my insurance to come through. For those of you who are into praying, please say a little prayer that I will be approved. I'm a student who plans on going to med school in two years and I can't afford paying for school and the band.

You January Bandsters have been a wonderful example of how great LBT can be. You all are such an inspiration. Very encouraging to see and to be a part of. Lots of love, Sheila

I will pray you get banded this month!!!! :clap2:

I wish I had had my legs waxed before the surgery. I shaved the morning of surgery (8 days ago), and now I look like a Sasquatch. I wonder how long it will be until I can bend enough to shave my legs.

The funny thing and I don't know if this is common, but my leg hair didn't grow after my surgery for about a week!!!

Enterprise01 and BGB ~ I will shave tomorrow morning...I did blowdry my hair straight (I have naturally curly, curly and LONG hair) so I don't have to fuss with it for a few days...Just my way of "looking good" for surgery..:rolleyes: :clap2: .Oh FYI... I called my surgeon and he does surgery on my side...no between the legs thing!!! FEWWWW!!!!! :clap2: lol...

Man,it sounds like my post op is the most strict one! I had to be on liquids for 3 full weeks! Not until week 2 could I had cream Soups and purreed soups.

My doctor has been doing the band for 10 years and has done over 4000.

He was also trained by the maker of the band. In his study of the band, he also cut out a mushy stage. He found patients would over pack the poutch and eat too much.

We can only hope with so many different post ops, out band stays in place. I personally would rather be safe than sorry.

It is different though if you just were not aware and thought you were following Doctor's orders. You may just want to take is slow. At least taking it a little slower, it won't hurt your band.

This is why I love this forum!!! Where would I be with out you guys!!!

Enterprise01 and BGB ~ I will shave tomorrow morning...I did blowdry my hair straight (I have naturally curly, curly and LONG hair) so I don't have to fuss with it for a few days...Just my way of "looking good" for surgery..:rolleyes: :clap2: .Oh FYI... I called my surgeon and he does surgery on my side...no between the legs thing!!! FEWWWW!!!!! :clap2: lol...

I wonder where I got the between the legs image then!

Glad to hear its not the case!

Good Luck.