Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 weeks out - doing great!

Hello everyone

I am now 8 weeks out from surgery and settling into a routine. Surgery was on 12/26/2012 and I haven't looked back. I started the whole process at 257 pounds. Lost 9 pounds during the 2 week pre-op diet and that put me at 248 the day of surgery. I had a pretty easy road and had no issues with the surgery or recovery. I read this forum every single day and got a lot of good tips from those who have been there before me.

I learned that you need to sip, sip, sip and walk, walk, walk so that's what I did. I was able to recognize what was happening when it happened because I read about it before I got to the hospital. I knew I was going to have some pain and I did. Others said that morphine made them sick and I didn't want to vomit so I asked them NOT to give me that. I knew my stomach was going to be swollen and I wouldn't be able to drink much ... but I survived. I knew that gas was going to be an issue and I prepared for it. Gas X strips helped but the walking helped more.

My hospital stay was one night - I rested at home for a week and although I was really tired - I walked every day. It wasn't exactly a picnic getting used to things but I slowly figured it all out. There were a few rough days during the first week but I got through them. Learning what I can and can't eat is an adventure. What works one day doesn't necessarily work the next. I do a decent job getting most of my Protein in but not so much with the Water intake. Average calorie intake each day is about 500 - 600 per day. Some days more, some days less ...but that's a good average. I'm working out six days a week and I take Sunday off. Weight training 2 days a week for 60 minutes each day and some form of cardio 4 days a week. I'm sick of snow and cold and can't wait until it's nice enough to walk outside!

I am currently down to 214 with a total loss amount since surgery of 35 pounds (43 overall). I can actually get into a size 16 but I don't like my clothes to fit snug so I'll try them again after a few more pounds are gone. I started at a size 22-24 so a size 18 feels great to me. I did take my measurements before surgery but haven't found the time to take them again. I KNOW I've lost quite a few inches based on how my clothes are fitting and how I feel. Even my shoes are loose now.

I love the sleeved life. I was horrible at Portion Control so the surgery has taught me many lessons. There are good days and bad days but I take it one day at a time. You most likely will hit stalls - I've had one small one but because I read this forum, I knew what to do .... Nothing! I didn't panic and stayed the course. After a week - stall ended and I started dropping weight again. I average about 4 - 5 pounds of weight loss each week. I wish you all great success and remember that this forum is full of positive advice - you just need to take the advice and go forward. Good luck to everyone.

I love the sleeved life

Decembersleever

i think the above statement says it all!!!!

sounds like you are doing great!!!!

couple of glitches post op :wacko:

sorry about that, but glad you moved on, and seemed to have a pretty good recuperation :)

sounds like you are doing terrific with your "routine"

eating a good amount of calories, Protein, exercising, great attitude!!!!

congrats on your weight loss!!!!

keep it up :)(or should i say down? :lol: )

continued good luck

Thanks Grammy - I appreciate it

Hello everyone

I am now 8 weeks out from surgery and settling into a routine. Surgery was on 12/26/2012 and I haven't looked back. I started the whole process at 257 pounds. Lost 9 pounds during the 2 week pre-op diet and that put me at 248 the day of surgery. I had a pretty easy road and had no issues with the surgery or recovery. I read this forum every single day and got a lot of good tips from those who have been there before me.

I learned that you need to sip' date=' sip, sip and walk, walk, walk so that's what I did. I was able to recognize what was happening when it happened because I read about it before I got to the hospital. I knew I was going to have some pain and I did. Others said that morphine made them sick and I didn't want to vomit so I asked them NOT to give me that. I knew my stomach was going to be swollen and I wouldn't be able to drink much ... but I survived. I knew that gas was going to be an issue and I prepared for it. Gas X strips helped but the walking helped more.

My hospital stay was one night - I rested at home for a week and although I was really tired - I walked every day. It wasn't exactly a picnic getting used to things but I slowly figured it all out. There were a few rough days during the first week but I got through them. Learning what I can and can't eat is an adventure. What works one day doesn't necessarily work the next. I do a decent job getting most of my Protein in but not so much with the Water intake. Average calorie intake each day is about 500 - 600 per day. Some days more, some days less ...but that's a good average. I'm working out six days a week and I take Sunday off. Weight training 2 days a week for 60 minutes each day and some form of cardio 4 days a week. I'm sick of snow and cold and can't wait until it's nice enough to walk outside!

I am currently down to 214 with a total loss amount since surgery of 35 pounds (43 overall). I can actually get into a size 16 but I don't like my clothes to fit snug so I'll try them again after a few more pounds are gone. I started at a size 22-24 so a size 18 feels great to me. I did take my measurements before surgery but haven't found the time to take them again. I KNOW I've lost quite a few inches based on how my clothes are fitting and how I feel. Even my shoes are loose now.

I love the sleeved life. I was horrible at Portion Control so the surgery has taught me many lessons. There are good days and bad days but I take it one day at a time. You most likely will hit stalls - I've had one small one but because I read this forum, I knew what to do .... Nothing! I didn't panic and stayed the course. After a week - stall ended and I started dropping weight again. I average about 4 - 5 pounds of weight loss each week. I wish you all great success and remember that this forum is full of positive advice - you just need to take the advice and go forward. Good luck to everyone.[/quote']

Thanks for sharing. My surgery is tomorrow and I am a bit nervous. So encouraged you are able to be so active to soon after surgery.