Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm not eating or drinking enough... Day 3 post op

I had my surgery 2/19 and I'm starting to realize I'm definitely not drinking enough and I'm too scared to eat. I had 3 sips of a Protein Shake, half a Gatorade bottle and 8 bites of sugar free fat free chocolate pudding since my surgery 3 days ago. I'm really worried I am going to get dehydrated but I am PETRIFIED of throwing up. HELP!

I wouldn't worry about it this soon after surgery. Your stomach is still swollen. I didn't eat more than 4 or 5 sugar free popsicles the 1st 5 days after surgery and drank almost nothing. Then things started getting easier, my food and Water intake increased as my stomach healed. It was almost 2 weeks before I got close to the recommended Protein and water intake.

I had my surgery 2/19 and I'm starting to realize I'm definitely not drinking enough and I'm too scared to eat. I had 3 sips of a Protein shake' date=' half a Gatorade bottle and 8 bites of sugar free fat free chocolate pudding since my surgery 3 days ago. I'm really worried I am going to get dehydrated but I am PETRIFIED of throwing up. HELP![/quote']

Girl u are way to early to be worrying about Protein or food. The first week should be Clear liquids only. Protein starts after the first week. Swelling is different with everyone you may have a little more swelling. It will come down and intake will get better. Sip all the time and you will be fine but if you start feeling light headed just go to er and get some fluids. You will be just fine!! Be grateful that you don't have a lot of pain!

The trick is to sip and wait sip and wait. Always have a bottle near by. when I was early out I set out all the liquid I needed for that day and did my best to drink all day! Its like a job you have stay on top of it or you will get sick dizzy and lightheaded. Good luck

Definitely focus on your drinking. As the others have said, sip, sip, sip. You do not want to get dehydrated. But do progress as your doctors have instructed. I agree, you should try to get some Protein in, but you really need to keep yourself hydrated. Is is just the fear of vomiting or has it happened?

Good luck!

You will learn that not getting enough is what is making you feel bad, dizzy, lightheaded, headachey, etc. Even if you have to live on sugar free popsicles, at least you're getting liquids. They also help with the swelling that is makeing you feel like throwing up. Don't worry. It will get better. The biggest help for me was discovering this for myself. Try not to focus so much on what you are feeling. Good luck. I'm 18 days post op and now feel wonderful! Going back to work helped me take the focus off of me.

What you shuld be scared about is ending up back in teh hospital dehydrated. PLEASE find a way to increase your fluids to at LEAST 40 oz a day. Popsicles, Jello, herbal tea, MIO and Water, Crystal light in water, gatorade, broth, ....always have something with you and continuosly sip it....your body cannot heal effectively if it is starved for hydration....

LOL I live on sugar free popsicles.. best thing ever made.. Im addicted.. But in all seriousness.. sip sip sip is the key..and if that bothers you.. some have said try your Water at room temp.. not sure what that does.. but it helps some.. I had no issues other than my taste buds changed.. I didnt like anything other than broth and the popsicles.. but im on to other things now.. im post op from dec 20th.and it does get a whole lot better.. even tho my doc says im still healing and that takes like 12 weeks. I can pretty much tolerate most.. not chili tho.. my tummy didnt like it.. or scrambled eggs.. yuck.. which Im glad my stomach doesnt like alot of things.. makes eating easier.. but truely things will get better.. but make sure you get your fluids in .. you dont want to wind up in the hospital dehydrated.. not a good thing.. but Im here to tell you it gets better the further out you get.. just keep on sipping.. best of luck to you.. and welcome to the club. :)