Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeeling a little frustrated

Feeling the need to vent a little bit. Currently in the process of going through all the pre-op steps to be revised from the Lap-Band to the Sleeve. I'm hoping that everything will be sent over to insurance this week- not really thinking there's going to be any issues on that front. In an effort to hopefully get a head start on everything, and maybe get a sooner surgery date, I started the pre-op diet on my own, since my surgeon's requirements are 4-6 weeks, 2 shakes a day, with one meal of 4-6 oz lean Protein and a leafy vegetable. I haven't been as strict on it as I could be, due to the fact that I decided to do this on my own, and I will have a small bite here or there. Overall, my willpower is pretty strong. However, there are times when my will power fades, and, like this afternoon, I couldn't say no to the see's candy. I ate 3 pieces, and I am fine with that. I track everything I eat with myfitnesspal, whether I cheat or not. My frustration comes from my best friend. She is one f my biggest supporters through this, pushes me to do things I wouldn't do on my own, will hold back for me if I can't do something, and helps hold me accountable for my actions. But, she's never struggled with her weight. She has no problem turning food down, and can get full off 1/4 of a sandwich sometimes. She doesn't understand how hard it can be to say no sometimes. She's on myfitnesspal too, and i have it set so that friends can see what I eat, in another effort to hold myself accountable for what I'm eating. She doesn't get why I can't just say no sometimes. Her comment today was, just because you took it, doesn't mean you have to eat it. Nobody forced you to put that in your mouth. That's true. I know it's true. But sometimes it seems impossible to say no, especially when people at work keep it in your face all day. There is literally something new every single day. Ugh, ok, I just needed to vent some to people who understand what it's like.

I would explain to her how hard it is sometimes to just walk away from food. It's not as easy as it seems and someone who has never struggled with their weight just doesn't get it. My husband is the same way he struggles to keep weight ON and he doesn't understand the power food can have. If he doesn't want to eat something he just doesn't. He isn't faced with the temptation even if it is sitting right in front of him. I've just come to understand that he will never understand my struggle with food. I guess it's the same as it is hard for me to understand alcoholism because I have never had an issue turning down a drink-it just doesn't have the same appeal to me. Food addiction is real just like any other addiction.

And Good for you for being accountable and tracking it regardless if you "should" eat it or not. Most people wouldn't track it-especially if others can see it!

Hi Saraboo,

You will find that nearly everyone on this forum understands what you are going through. We've struggled with ourselves and influences upon us sometimes for many years. Many yo-yo dieters are represented here.

I took the drastic step of surgery because it was virtually impossible to lose fat. It was technically possible but in practice really impossible. It was a losing game, I needed back up. I got it with the sleeve.

There are a lot of compassionate people here. This is one of the kindest forums I have ever been on. I am not saying everyone is nice, but a vast majority are.

Hang in there, we are with you.

Sara, I get it. food is something I think about from the moment I wake up in the morning until I go to sleep at night.. and often I DREAM about food. Saying "no" is a constant struggle. Someone who does not face the same challenges as we do with food cannot know what it's like.

My exhusband and I would go grocery shopping together.. we would always one candy bar each. I would eat mine on the walk home.(duh) and he would put his in the fridge. It would sit there for days. I would think about that candy bar constantly throughout the day. If by the third or fourth day, if he hadn't eaten it, I just couldn't control myself any longer. He couldn't understand why it was so hard for me to say "no" why I was so weak. I tried explaining to him that I was able to say no to that candy bar thousands of times. I literally thought of that candy bar THOUSANDS of times and didn't eat it... I only ate it once, but 99.9% of the time when I thought about the candy, I DIDN'T eat it. Did HE think of that candy bar THOUSANDS of times? No, he didn't so how could he really understand my struggle?

Hey, it sounds like you're doing great! What is your friend's vice? For instance, I have a friend that loves to buy purses and she has a hard time NOT buying any. So explain to your friend that unfortunately food is your vice as________ is hers.

Coming here is definitely the right place to come for support. I've gotten much advice here, whether I ask for it or I've read it from another post.

Good luck with your journey.

And Good for you for being accountable and tracking it regardless if you "should" eat it or not. Most people wouldn't track it-especially if others can see it!

That's part of the reason I do it. I know if I don't, I have the tendancy to just kind of give up.

Hi Saraboo,

You will find that nearly everyone on this forum understands what you are going through. We've struggled with ourselves and influences upon us sometimes for many years. Many yo-yo dieters are represented here.

I took the drastic step of surgery because it was virtually impossible to lose fat. It was technically possible but in practice really impossible. It was a losing game, I needed back up. I got it with the sleeve.

There are a lot of compassionate people here. This is one of the kindest forums I have ever been on. I am not saying everyone is nice, but a vast majority are.

Hang in there, we are with you.

I'm def in the catergory of yo-yo dieter. I have done the extreme juice diets, weight watchers- 3 times!- I've counted calories, counted Protein, I exercise, I stay active for the most part, but It's not something that I can do on my own.

Sara, I get it. food is something I think about from the moment I wake up in the morning until I go to sleep at night.. and often I DREAM about food. Saying "no" is a constant struggle. Someone who does not face the same challenges as we do with food cannot know what it's like.

My exhusband and I would go grocery shopping together.. we would always one candy bar each. I would eat mine on the walk home.(duh) and he would put his in the fridge. It would sit there for days. I would think about that candy bar constantly throughout the day. If by the third or fourth day, if he hadn't eaten it, I just couldn't control myself any longer. He couldn't understand why it was so hard for me to say "no" why I was so weak. I tried explaining to him that I was able to say no to that candy bar thousands of times. I literally thought of that candy bar THOUSANDS of times and didn't eat it... I only ate it once, but 99.9% of the time when I thought about the candy, I DIDN'T eat it. Did HE think of that candy bar THOUSANDS of times? No, he didn't so how could he really understand my struggle?

One of my biggest problems is that I am constantly hungry. I can eat, and 20 mins later my body will be telling me to feed it. It doesn't help that I went to culinary school, and I love to experiment with new recipes. And food is always on my mind. It's tough. And I am very thankful that there are people that understand what I'm going through.

Don't get me wrong, besides my mom, she is my biggest supporter. And I am very thankful that she's by my side to make sure when I want to give up, she's always there to push me.

Hey, it sounds like you're doing great! What is your friend's vice? For instance, I have a friend that loves to buy purses and she has a hard time NOT buying any. So explain to your friend that unfortunately food is your vice as________ is hers.

The thing is, right now, she doesn't really have a vice. She works out, works on her house that she bought over the summer, and right now has a pretty boring diet. The only thing she really spends money on is flying back east to visit her boyfriend who is out there for a year for work, and she saves up to do that. She goes out to dinner every wed with some old friends, but that's not something she has to do. If she doesn't feel like going, she doesn't go. I think the only other thing she spends money on is Protein Powder and stuff for the gym.

Hmmmm....I wonder if she could sit back and relax for a whole day without having to do anything. Like I know I can't just sit at a beach, I have to be doing something, so I only like to go to beaches with a boardwalk.

Hmmmm....I wonder if she could sit back and relax for a whole day without having to do anything. Like I know I can't just sit at a beach' date=' I have to be doing something, so I only like to go to beaches with a boardwalk.[/quote']

She can, no problem. She has her lazy days like the rest of us, but she likes to stay busy. Unless she's taking a nap. Lol. She takes a lot of those.