Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Race pace (chime in vets)

I have my first compete coming up in less than 1 month and have started running dec 2012 and seriously training jan 2013.

Schedule: 3 or 4 runs a week. Cross train and light weights on off days.

5k run : 28 min average, average 6.2 mph

10 k run: 62 min average, average 6.0 mph

HIIT: 45 min- 5.5-6.0 spiking every 5 min

HIIT 30 min: 6.0-7.0 spiking every 5 min

During 5k and 10k, I put on the afterburners with last 5 min. I usually can sustain my averages above with energy in the tank for the end sprints.

What advice do you have about preparing for the upcoming 5 k and how to pace myself during the run. It usually takes me about 10 minutes until I am in my prime for running the remainder of the time. I warm up with a 5 min jon and cool down with a 5 min jog.

Do you have a heart monitor? That is what I used for training and races.

Training, 155 beats per minute. Races, 170 - 175 BPM. I ran at whatever pace my fitness level would allow me to sustain those heart rates. I would always finish races completely spent. My FIL, who is an incredible runner, told me that I should be wasted the entire day following a race. That way I know I put in full effort. If you feel "good" after a race, then you didn't run hard enough.

The 175 BPM pace always fulfilled that, for me, on a 5K race, 170 for a 10K race.

My first "race" is this weekend. But the only thing I'm racing is the event cutoff time. As long as they don't kick me off the course I'm happy. Sorry I can't help on this. Maybe after a few of these I'll get faster and figure out this whole PR business. Right now I'm just trying to figure out a way to keep running and not trip and fall.

Do you have a heart monitor? That is what I used for training and races.

Training' date=' 155 beats per minute. Races, 170 - 175 BPM. I ran at whatever pace my fitness level would allow me to sustain those heart rates. I would always finish races completely spent. My FIL, who is an incredible runner, told me that I should be wasted the entire day following a race. That way I know I put in full effort. If you feel "good" after a race, then you didn't run hard enough.

The 175 BPM pace always fulfilled that, for me, on a 5K race, 170 for a 10K race.[/quote']

Thanks for this advice. I have a heart rate watch that needs a new battery. You are probably right about increasing my exertion. I never feel spent after a run. My heart rate usually maxes out around 145 bpm so I am going to start training in the ranges you have specified. I have been using my exertion ( including breathing and sweating ) as a measure, but maybe I am being too easy on myself.

My first "race" is this weekend. But the only thing I'm racing is the event cutoff time. As long as they don't kick me off the course I'm happy. Sorry I can't help on this. Maybe after a few of these I'll get faster and figure out this whole PR business. Right now I'm just trying to figure out a way to keep running and not trip and fall.

I am excited for you and your big day coming up. You have been doing so well on your distance posts. Let us know how it goes.

I got the Garmin Forerunner. For me, it is great. There are so many settings that you will seriously need a week to learn all of its functions. One of them is to set a range of BPM and it will alert you if you are too low or high, so you don't feel you have to be checking it constantly. If you have a course you like to run, you can race against yourself, or, someone else. You can find runs other people have done in your area, download the course and virtually race against them. The watch will direct you when you need to turn and all sorts of stuff.

My main purpose, though, was to monitor my heart rate during running and HIIT classes (nope, it's not just for running). My fitness level dictated my pace, so I always knew that as my training progressed, I was getting a great workout. If I ran at the same pace I had 6 weeks ago, I would not be getting the same workout because I was more physically fit now.

I would also then look at my runs after on the computer. VERY cool feature. There is a USB dongle that I left plugged into my computer. Before I even got my shoes off, the watch had connected and uploaded my run automatically. I would get my Protein drink or Gatorade, sit at the computer and take a look at my run. It would show the course, elevation, pace and heart rate.

For races, there would always be several others who also interface with the Garmin site, so when I got home, sure enough, other runner's info would be there if they chose to share their runs publicly.

I picked mine up off of Craigslist for $75.

I got the Garmin Forerunner. For me' date=' it is great. There are so many settings that you will seriously need a week to learn all of its functions. One of them is to set a range of BPM and it will alert you if you are too low or high, so you don't feel you have to be checking it constantly. If you have a course you like to run, you can race against yourself, or, someone else. You can find runs other people have done in your area, download the course and virtually race against them. The watch will direct you when you need to turn and all sorts of stuff.

My main purpose, though, was to monitor my heart rate during running and HIIT classes (nope, it's not just for running). My fitness level dictated my pace, so I always knew that as my training progressed, I was getting a great workout. If I ran at the same pace I had 6 weeks ago, I would not be getting the same workout because I was more physically fit now.

I would also then look at my runs after on the computer. VERY cool feature. There is a USB dongle that I left plugged into my computer. Before I even got my shoes off, the watch had connected and uploaded my run automatically. I would get my Protein drink or Gatorade, sit at the computer and take a look at my run. It would show the course, elevation, pace and heart rate.

For races, there would always be several others who also interface with the Garmin site, so when I got home, sure enough, other runner's info would be there if they chose to share their runs publicly.

I picked mine up off of Craigslist for 75.[/quote']

I just checked out the various Garmin Forerunner watches on Amazon The Garmin forerunner 610 went on my Amazon wish list for b-day. Which one did you get?

I did 4.2 miles tonight, and just for fun I was watching my garmin when I hit the 3.1 mile mark....33:50. That's pretty fast for me. It helped that I ate great today for a run, meaning I ate plenty of good carbs for fuel, rather than eating for weight loss. I can eat low carbs and do just about any other form of exercise, but not run. If I try, I hit the wall in the second mile. So today was sort of a trial run (eating wise) for this upcoming weekend. I feel like I've got it figured out.

Okay you guys are going to force me to open a Pilates thread for us girls :P

I just checked out the various Garmin Forerunner watches on Amazon The Garmin forerunner 610 went on my Amazon wish list for b-day. Which one did you get?

I have the 410. I wouldn't get any model before the 410, for sure.

BtB, don't be afraid to carb up heavy on Friday

I have the 410. I wouldn't get any model before the 410, for sure.

BtB, don't be afraid to carb up heavy on Friday

I am definitely planning on doing so. I've got some granola, oatmeal, whole grain bread and PB2 with honey ready to go. Plus my veggie shakes. Loving those things.

I am definitely planning on doing so. I've got some granola' date=' oatmeal, whole grain bread and PB2 with honey ready to go. Plus my veggie shakes. Loving those things.[/quote']

I just want to say good luck on behalf of your VST friends on your first 10k compete tomorrow.

Also, race day adrenaline will make you start out faster than you may intend. With all the folks jostling around, it is difficult to get that initial pace.

But, that adrenaline will also push you faster, too. Just keep yourself in check and you will do fine.

Good luck!

Thanks guys. I've got a Garmin and it gives me my current pace. I keep an eye on it in the first couple of miles every time I run. After that I usually get in a good enough groove I don't have to worry about it. But you can bet I'll be watching it tomorrow making sure I don't go too fast.