Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Bookworms out there??

MissyC

I am addicted to Nora Roberts.... whether she is writing as herself or J.D. Robb! The "In Death" series is awesome! I'm waiting on pins and needles for the next book to come out. Just can't get enough of Eve and Roarke!

I have also been reading Christine Feehan. Her "Dark" series about the Carpathians is amazing. Takes you to a whole other world!

I tend to like stuff that is not "everyday" stuff... heck, I can have normal stuff on my own! I like books that take me to another place. There is nothing better than getting lost in a book. :)

Hi everybody! Nice to see so many readers here. I am re-reading my Anne Rice collection. Have just read the whole Vampire series, and am now in the Middle of the Mayfair Witch series. I love to revisit my favorite books if I haven't read them in a while. In this case about 9 years.

My fav books to read are Mysteries and Thrillers.

Truth be known - I haven't read a book this month because I'm at this website every spare moment of the day!!!!! I have a stack of books that are begging for my attention but I can't pull myself away from these posts to meet with them. But after I'm banded I will try to spend more time with them.

Oh!

Give me a good smutty romance any day! or Sci Fi, or Mystery, or, or, or...

I go thru 2-3 books during the week and that many over the weekend - unless I am unusually busy.

I have been reading Catherine Coulter for the last week or so. I like her Romance Thrillers as well as her historical romance.

My books are about the only place where I go Rogue Female. I call it "Chicking out".

Oh - Carlene - anything by Robert Heinlein. LOVE his books.

:]

Kutia,

No I haven't tried there yet. All of the books I am willing to let go of are listed on frugalreader. I may go shopping there though. Thanks for the input.

Kristi

I read all the time. I just read Ender's Game and the trilogy that followed that. I am a major Terry Prachett fan and am just finishing Thud. He's so funny. I have been reading foreign novels for a class I'm planning and recommend: Kiterunner; Memoirs of a Geisha; anything by Isabel Allende. I'm fixing to start some Japanese authors, having finished a couple of Chinese books. If you like science fiction and fantasy I highly recommend Terry Prachett. He's hilarious.

I always carry a book with me everywhere in my purse. I also keep one in the glove compartment of my car. Right now I'm reading The Princes if Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd. It is historical fiction. His books always start way back near the end of the ice age and go forward almost to the present day. Really fascinating.

The last 5 books I've read are:

Lord John Grey & the Private Matter Diana Gabaldon

Princess in Pink Meg Cabot

Ella Enchanted Gail Carson Levine

Cell Stephen King

The Last Unicorn Peter S. Beagle

My favorite authors are (in no particular order): J.K. Rowling, Robert Heinlein, & Diana Gabaldon.

Good books all. I was really glad I'd read "The Princes of Ireland" when I went there last year. It was nice to have some understanding of the historical political forces that shaped that county.

I like King and Koontz, but I can't read them anymore because they keep me up checking under the bed at night!

My favoirite author lately is Bryce Courtenay. The only book of his I could find in CA bookstores is "The Power of One," but he has half a dozen others that are wonderful and can be ordered on Amazon.

Just got the latest Isabelle Allende I'm looking forward to.

I read all the time. I just read Ender's Game and the trilogy that followed that.

I loved Enders Game! My coworker now calls me Ender because he saw me reading the book and asked me to explain the name. Ender's real name is also my real name.

I get paid today and I need a book!:help: I'm worried the idea might get a vetoed by my fiance because I bought a video game last paycheck and I'm not done with it yet.

OK, I'll be on the lighter side of things.

I normally read non-fiction (particularly Biographies & Political History) but this another thread on LBT made me think of an author I really, really love.

This time of the year - we find ourselves surrounded by friends and family - and sometimes these gatherings are a bit off-kilter.

So speaking of holiday laughs - her brother, the famed author David Sedaris, wrote "Holidays on Ice" which is a side-splitting look at his family's Christmas hijinks. It's one of my favourites. I love all of Sedaris works (his book "Me Talk Pretty One Day" is the funniest book about living abroad ever) but this is a Holiday classic.

Oh and his sister, actress Amy Sedaris (From the TV show & movie "Strangers With Candy") has a hilarious new book about entertaining and life itself. I will pick it up ASAP - I'll need a laugh for the holidays. She's no stranger to spiking the punch bowl if you know what I mean!

What a wonderful and timely thread!! I'm having rotator cuff surgery next week and will be "one-armed" for about six weeks, so am headed to the library tomorrow to stock up.

Recent read was Stephen King's "Lisey's Story". Great book!

What a wonderful and timely thread!! I'm having rotator cuff surgery next week and will be "one-armed" for about six weeks, so am headed to the library tomorrow to stock up.

Recent read was Stephen King's "Lisey's Story". Great book!

Lisey's Story is next on my list to get from the library. I know they have it, the book just hasn't quite made it to the shelf yet. I also keep meaning to look for Ender's Game but haven't managed to remember so far.

We've got another Heinlein fan! I just finished reading his "new" book Variable Star. I loved it. I'm adding the collaborater (sp?) Spider Robinson to my list of authors to look for.

This is rapidly becoming my favorite thread.

Wow, some great book ideas. I'm inspired to check out some Heinlein. I read Stranger in a Strange Land in the '60's when it was de rigeur for any self respecting hippy. I'd love to read some of his other stuff.

I recently read All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy, and loved it. Also Once Upon a Distant War by William Prochnau. It's about the early Vietnam war correspondents. A very good read.

Until very recently, we would read aloud in our son's room at bedtime. He's just turned 14 and suddenly sees it as being treated like a baby, whereas we saw it as a mutually enjoyable family activity. I understand. However, I'm in a bit of mourning about this. He still wants us in there to talk, he loves that cozy family togetherness feeling. What I may do is try and make it an earlier evening activity, not in the bedroom, so he doesn't feel like Mom is reading to him.

One cool thing that's resulted from him being read aloud to for years is that he himself is very good at reading aloud. He has the pacing and inflection one normally wouldn't find in a kid. He's usually the one to do any reading aloud or narration for school events.

What we've really enjoyed as a family the last few years are books by Ken Oppel. He's written the Sunwing Saga which is a trilogy about bats. My husband and I enjoyed it as much as our son did. And we liked even better Airborne and it's sequel Skybreaker. They're kind of a fantasy, set in a Victorian era where all the worlds shipping happens with airships. Very exciting.

I'm really fond of Ian Rankin's works, especially his Rebus novels. I love that grubby underside of Edinburgh stuff.

I don't get nearly the time I want to for pleasure reading. I always look forward to Christmas, I always get at least one really good read.

Right now I"m reading For One More Day by Mitch Albom. He's my favorite Author. I've loved "Tuesdays with Morrie" and "the five people you meet in heaven" by him. Really inspirational and leaves you with things to think about.

I am really really going to have to check out Heinlens books.

I just finished Cell by stephen king. I was surporised to find that I enjoyed it, I have not really liked much of his work in recent years. Love his old stuff tho.

I am finally starting Odd Thomas by Koontz, which I have been intending to read for years, just never go around to.

I bought the new Iris Johansen paperback last night...so its on my TBR pile.

:nerd: Books I've read in the past 4 weeks. <me....reading when I should be doing laundry...cleaning house....etc>

1. Saints Behaving Badly. by Thomas Craughwell. non-fiction. very good.

2. The Becoming. by Jeanne C. Stein. paranormal/fantasy fiction. so-so.

3. Dark Protector by Alexis Morgan. paranormal romance. really liked it.

4. Dark Defender by Alexis Morgan. it was good. liked the 1st one better.

5. Slave to Sensation. by Nalini Singh. I loved this book! Can't wait for the next one. (paranoramal romance)

6. Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. Really like it. I have ordered the next odd thomas book.

7. sleeping With the Fishes. It was ok. I loved MJD at first, but her latest books haven't been as good. I still like the Undead books tho.

8. The Smoke Thief. by Shana Abe. I loved this book!! 5 stars.

9. Fundamentals of the Faith. by Peter Kreeft. non-fiction. It was OK.

10. Ancient Angkor by Michael Freeman. Excellent book about Angkor Wat

11. Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur. 1st in a new paranormal/fantasy series. It was ok...but not as captivating as I had hoped.

Hope ya'll don't mind. I just love to share my love affair with books.

:biggrin1: