Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating out anxiety

Anyone else get anxiety when they are going to eat out with friends? I prefer eating my own food because its portioned and I know I can eat it. I used to love going to lunch with coworkers and friends and now I just get anxious because I feel it's a waste of money. I have so many left over and not enough time or space to eat it all. It's not the biggest problem ever as I am lucky to just be able to eat a small portion but I noticed my opinion of eating out had changed. Oh but I do get to enjoy the conversation more!:)

I don't have an issue with going out to eat. My friends actually laugh about how little I can eat and there's usually the obligatory joke about how I make everyone look like pigs now because I box up 3/4 of anything I order. I allow myself to enjoy the food because I don't go all out very often, maybe once a month, if that. I still make my choices within reasonable guidelines, like opting for grilled meat, no carb sides, and skipping desert. I end up with food that I can eat for another 2 or 3 meals that tastes good and that I didn't have to put any effort in to making.

If we are out with others, I just try to order Soup or something off the appetizer menu. Our friends and family know we've both had the surgery, so it is never something that grabs their attention. If I know where we are going ahead of time, I try to look at the menu and make a decision before we go. That seems to help.

I run into the same issue of ordering a $10 meal and eating $1.50 of it as well.... You can always order off of the kids meal, I know my doc gave me the get out of jail free card that says I can order off the kids menu but I just cant bring myself to do that.... I just deal with the wasted food since I am not going out to eat all the time. I wanted my eating habits to change, not my whole social life, and, to this point, it has been successful!

Yes i get anxiety too. I have a business lunch almost everyday with people I don't know well. I don't want to to tell them about my sleeve. If they ask...(sometimes they dont care and dont ask ) What I do is tell them I had a big Breakfast and I am still full. I always get salmon or Soup.< /p>

I had this problem. I don't like to draw attention to my ordering. But have found if you ask the waiter/waitress "can I have this instead of that way it is on the menu because I had wl surgery. " You will be surprised how many times their response is " my relative/friend had that also" they are doing wonderful. Sure we can do it that way for you." Like ordering a sandwich with no bread just the meat/cheese/veg on a plate. If you do encounter trouble, just order what you think is best, get an extra plate & immediately make your own meal. Put the other aside so you don't get tempted to overeat. That feels HORRIBLE! Good luck

yep, all good tips - check the menu online if possible and plan what you will order, and most appetizers are more than enough food for me to make a meal out of. You also have to have an attitude change - we have young children (grandchildren, actually) and we prefer going to buffets because we don't have to sit there with an autistic 9 yr old boy waiting to be served. Talk about a waste of money - buffets don't care if you're only going to eat a little bit! I no longer go out to eat for the food but for the company and enjoyment of my family (plus not having to cook a meal at home ;-) .

I eat out a LOT due to my travel, work, and graduate school schedule.

I do many important business meetings and some social or working lunch meetings with coworkers.

I've noticed that people don't pay that much attention to your food. Order a cup of Soup if that helps. It will be a very small serving and inexpensive.

If anyone asks, just say that you are not that hungry right now.

Eating is a basic function of survival. It shouldn't cause anxiety. Our culture creates that anxiety in us. Give yourself permission to eat when you are hungry and only eat as much as you want. Don't worry about anyone else.

I dont waste my food but eat lots of left overs when I go out. Its my lunch at work ir dinner the next day. Sometimes I eat 3 meals out of us going out to eat once.