Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Bladder Feeling

I had my surgery last Friday (2/15/13) and while in the hospital recovering they want you to urinate though I had no urge. My attempt was voluminously successful. The nurse said that this was a common side affect to Anesthesia.

I also mentioned it to the doctor the next day who agreed.

I am on day 5 and still no bladder sensation or feeling, so I am counting ounces to tell me when to urinate. Anyone else experience this?

I felt like that for a while after they took my catheter out. Which explains why an hour afterwards I dry heaved and majorly peed myself. 5 days after seems like a while, though. Are you still taking a lot of medication?

Well Mystie: Doctor's office instructed me to discontinue pain reliever and start Flowmax immediately. My follow up appointment is tomorrow, but my concern is that the surgeon snipped my nerves there. (Hopefully this is just inflammation). I should know in the next day or two.

Uh oh. Well good luck, here's hoping it's nothing!

I still never feel like I have to go and I'm a year out. I wonder if with the stomach moved if there is less pressure.

Those nerves are no where near where they did any snipping. I think it probably has to do with the catheter. Maybe an infection and inflammation is causing loss of feeling. I'm sure that it will resolve itself soon, but it is a good idea to address this issue with your surgeon. Good luck!

SassyGirl: Oh I really hope you are right! Bad news with Internet research is that even doctors have conflicting posts. As far as I know, no catheter was used.

I am a male with no bladder urges and no penis blood flow post-op. (Worried). Hopefully they can give me a prescription or something.

SassyGirl: Oh I really hope you are right! Bad news with Internet research is that even doctors have conflicting posts. As far as I know, no catheter was used.

I am a male with no bladder urges and no penis blood flow post-op. (Worried). Hopefully they can give me a prescription or something.

Ouch...I would definitely call your doc. I had the opposite problem, I had to go so bad I couldn't stand myself....but couldn't. No catheter either, so it was up to me....but I couldn't let go. I was told that is not unusual after abdominal surgeries. It cleared up by day 2, but that was an unpleasant 24 hours.

Did your dr specifically say no catheter was used? And I agree the snipping isn't anywhere near urine anatomy. If not cateter related could be anesthesia related and will return over time. But drs know best!

Are you sure no catheter was used.....they sometimes put it in after you're out, and remove it before you wake. Especially with guys since it hurts them a little more....got to go a bit further down the tube so to speak. I had to give a poor old man a catheter one time that had a bad rash from peeing on himself and the poor guy was in so much pain we had to hold him down to keep putting it in. Thought I would never get it in all the way. As for the incisions, and snipping, I am positive they were no where near your beloved parts. ;)

The problem with feeling them may also stem from your blood pressure. It may be a little lower now and you may need some time to recover in that department. There are meds to help, but I'm pretty sure in a few days to weeks you won't need anything to help in that department anymore. :D

Good luck, and just make sure to communicate with your doc!

Codiene/opiate based pain relievers numb the bladder. They are usually discontinued and the person will see improvement within a few days.

I hope this is the case with you.

Read the pamphlet for all medications you are on... If it says not for people with kidney problems or difficulty urinating then that medicine is most likely your culprit.

You could call your pharmacist as well. They are well educated on side effects.

No catheter was used per doctor and I have not taken codeine for 2-3 days. However I did hear that anesthesia can last up to two plus weeks.

I need to be patient, I guess.

Thank you all for your posts. :)

I still never feel like I have to go and I'm a year out. I wonder if with the stomach moved if there is less pressure.

How do you know when to go?

my bladder was not back to normal for about a week and a half, but I ended up with a UTI because of it, so I would talk to someone.