Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Growing tomatillas

Hi folks,

I need a little gardening help. I love to garden and try new things. Last winter I tried a Soup recipe with tomatillas in it and I just loved it, so when I saw tomatilla starts at the greenhouse I got a few to try out. Now the things are as tall as I am and covered with little yellow flowers. Also on the branches are a different looking flower that looks like it is turning into the outer husk of the tomatilla. They are about the size of a walnut but are completely hollow inside at this time. Do they eventually develop the fruit in there? I tried to search on the net and mostly got recipes but little growing info. I did find something about them being proliferant producers. If anyone has any thoughts or knowledge on this plant please let me know, Thanks Teresa

Teresa, you'll be able to whip up some authentic mexican food. Whatch out, they'll be having you freeze your dinners and then bring them to the Las Vegas Bash. Good luck on a bumper crop!

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/fruitveg/tomato.htm

Q: Can you give me any information on tomatillos? How do they produce in North Dakota? When do they ripen ? (Bismarck, N.D.)

A: Tomatillos and tomatoes are both in the nightshade family, but different genera. The tomatillo is the genus Physalis while Tomato is the Lycoperscion genera. Tomatillos grow fruit from large marble to golf ball size in a papery husk and are often called "husk tomatoes." There are several indicators of ripeness: the husk gets papery and straw-colored; or it opens; or, the fruit inside changes color from a green to a pale yellow. The tomatillo is used in Mexican cuisine to make a "genuine" salsa. They are generally simmered in Water for five to10 minutes or roasted in a broiler until the skin blackens slightly to bring out the flavor before adding to salsa or other recipes. Leave the husks on when harvesting and storing. They will store longer. They often self-seed, so the following season will have some volunteers if they are not completely harvested in the fall.

http://homeharvestseeds.com/lillymillervegetablestomato.htm

Tomatillos

Green Husk 100MG

Physalis ixocarpa. Salsa's just not salsa unless it's got the tangy sweetness of homegrown tomatillos. The golf-ball-size fruits of this variety are green when ripe, wrapped in papery husks. Bushy plants produce heavy yields for use in southwestern dishes and sauces. May also be canned. Start seeds indoors six to eight weeks before planting outdoors. Harden off seedlings by putting them outside during the day for 1 week before transplanting. Transplant seedlings to the garden when nighttime temperatures remain above 55 degrees Farenheit. Enrich the soil before planting. Use landscape fabric to retain heat in the soil. To avoid diseases, don't plant where tomatoes or peppers have grown in the last two years. Water regularly to keep soil evenly moist. Tomatillos do not have to be staked or caged. Pick when papery husks turn from green to tan. Ripe tomatillo fruits are light green. 60 days to harvest after transplanting.

Thank you for the responses. I am a little concerned now because I have peppers and tomatoes planted in the same bed as the tomatillas. None of them look diseased but ???? I think I should have ripe tomatoes, anaheim chilis and zuchini in the next week or two. I'll just watch the tomatillas and see what they do. Like I said they have the papery husks but NOTHING is in them at this point. I make killer enchiladas. I love mexican food. My mom was raised in Escondido (I was born there too) so I guess she learned how to cook good mexican food growing up there. I have taken her recipes and expanded them. I love to experiment. Anyway thanks again, Teresa

I could LIVE on Mexican food! yum, yum!

And what a coinky-dink - I live in Escondido, too... ;)

So when's your next big Mexican food feast? I may crash the party... lol :)

My second cousin still lives down there in Escondido. I've been to visit a couple of times. Your are welcome to come for a visit anytime you want darlin, just let me know so I have time to whip up the mexican feast. LOL. Teresa