Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips for long distance flights??

MissyC

Help welcome!! I am about to fly internationally for the 1st time.

In 2 weeks I am going to be traveling from Texas to southeast Asia. I am very very nervous. (or just plain scared...lol). I have visions of leg cramps, blood clots and debilitating jet lag. I dread the flight itself which will be approx 26 hours in 3 jumps. The longest about 16 hours.

I am still at about 225 lbs and I know this will be difficult, (but worth the effort.) Airplanes are barely designed for normal size ppl, let alone plus size.

Does anyone have any experience or travel tips for long distance flights?

Thanks for any suggestions to help prepare for this.

Missy :(

Pack Snacks, the meals served on international flights (at least the ones I take) aren't terribly band friendly - though there's usually more than enough food. If you have one, bring a laptop or at least a portable DVD player. Unless you prefer the onboard movie, of course.

I like to bring wet wipes, hand sanitizer gel and some kind of facial cleanser pad (e.g. Biore wipes). Airplane air is so dirty, and after just an hour or two I can't stand feeling "sticky" anymore and like to have something to wipe my hands/face with. Sometimes you get lucky and they will circulate with hot towels, but sometimes they seem to forget. :(

You won't need to worry much about bloodclots. The planes they use for international flights are pretty big, and at least the ones I've been on are rarely full. This means plenty of aisle space for walking. And if you're lucky there will be several rows of seats that are unused... so flip up the armrests, grab a couple of pillows, and make an impromptu bed. sleeping is one of the best ways to make the time pass.

Sudoku gets you far. :(

And any grooming items you'll want... you'll probably e wallering all over a seat or two, so you might want a hairbrush, and if you wear make-up and need to look good when you land... a touchup kit. ;)

Don't forget that you can't carry liquids through security. You must have them in 3 oz containers and all fit into a quart ziploc. Don't lose expensive makeup, etc. because you tried to carry it onboard.

Get up and about every hour or so and walk the aisles. Everyone does it so you won't look weird, etc. It's good just to get up and see what's going on. I would carry your own Snacks as you don't want any episodes while trying to travel so long and far.

Put a pair of socks in your carryon and change into them once onboard. They keep your feet warm and you can take off your shoes. I wouldn't wear hose, even knee his as you don't want anything too restrictive. Same for a sweater.

Have fun

Wheetsin, Barbara and Letha:

thanks so much for the tips. Even tho trip is still 2 weeks out, I actually started some initial packing today.

I have to keep my personal stuff, (clothes, cosmetics, toiletries etc.) to one medium/large bag. Boy is that a challange. (note to self...look up overpackers anonymous).

Thanks for all the great ideas. I have added to my reminder list with graditude.

warm hugs.

Missy

And any grooming items you'll want... you'll probably e wallering all over a seat or two, so you might want a hairbrush, and if you wear make-up and need to look good when you land... a touchup kit. :rolleyes:

WALLERING???? I thought my mother was the only person in the world who used that word!!!! Are you my long lost sister, Wheets?

Aside from not needing to worry about blood clots, I agree with all the tips you were given on this thread. Having lived through pulmonary emboli is both lungs, it's VERY important that you get up and walk every 45 min to one hour. My pulmonologist also advises that ALL people who fly longer than one hour take two baby aspirin just prior to boarding the plane as a prophylactic measure to prevent blood clots. My band surgeon has no problem with this.

WALLERING???? I thought my mother was the only person in the world who used that word!!!! Are you my long lost sister, Wheets?

:) :eek: :rofl:

That is so funny, I read that line, and just let it go over my head cause in my family, we "waller" all the time.

thanks for the chuckle.

And everyone, thanks for the tips.

:) :eek: :rofl:

That is so funny, I read that line, and just let it go over my head cause in my family, we "waller" all the time.

We do, too. If you're tired, go to bed. Stop wallering all over my brand new sofa!

The other usage would go something like this...

You best be careful or you're gonna waller that hole out and the screw won't fit.

If you waller....you might be a redneck.