Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is scheduled in nine days. I am starting to get scared. Not really second thoughts, but maybe they are a little. I'm 38 years old. 6' tall & 331 lbs. BMI is 44. Reasons for sleeving.... 1. I have 5 young children, & want to be a role model for them. 2. I want to be able to be active with my children. 3. I want to look good & be desirable to my wife. 4. I, ME, THIS guy, wants to look good & feel good about myself. 5. I want to get rid of my sleep Apnea. 6. My family has a history of diabetes & heart problems that I'd rather not get. 7. I don't want to die early. 8. I'm sick of getting winded walking up stairs. 9. I'm sick of being fat. Reasons for being a little unsure.... 1. Scared about missing food. I am not a grazer. I just eat too big portions. I love eating a huge steak & a few glasses of wine. 2. Scared about not being able to go out with my buddies & drink 7 or 8 beers & have a good time. 3. Could I lose the weight again on my own? Better question: Could I keep it off this time? (I've lost 100lbs. twice before, only to regain.) Exercise isn't an issue with me either---after my last big weight loss I did 6 marathons & a full Ironman (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, & 26.2 mile run)---finished it in 15 hours. :-) 4. It's irreversible. 5. A little worried about dying in the surgery, although that's probably just nerves talking. Ok, so I realize that my 1st 2 reasons for being unsure are pretty sick in my opinion, & underscore my real problem...I'm addicted to food & self-control. I feel like I could lose weight on my own, but never keep it off. I guess my reasons for doing this (myself & my family) FAR outweigh the fears, but I just wanted to put out there what I'm thinking. Maybe other people have felt very similar to how I feel. If you did, please tell me your story.

I know where you are coming from, but all I can say about food is we don't have a good relationship. It's not like food is disappearing, I hear this theme over and over. Food will still be here after our surgery, what needs to change are our bad habits. I believe the sleeve will give us the opportunity to develop normal relationships with food. That's why I have vowed to not have a food funeral. I look forward to the change that's coming my way, I don't love anything about being obese I truly wont miss it. I wish you much success on your journey and I am sure things will turn out well for you. Good luck with all of this, and be proud of yourself for making this choice to becoming a better happier person. :D

I am having the same second guesses as you are! Scared something will happen in surgery, scared something will happen after surgery, scared ill never be able to eat what I enjoy again, the list goes on. I am in the pre op diet stage - my 6th day today. This stage has not been easy. I've also dieted, lost over 100 lbs - gained it all back and then some. I have numerous co-morbidities - and honestly, not to discourage - I threat to call it off every day, but then I think to myself - where will I be in a year if I stay on this path that I'm on? If I don't get the surgery, a year from now, I'll probably be wishing I would have and my condition will be FAR worse along than what it already is. I don't have children. I'm 21, BMI 43-45. Starting weight: 326. Today: 301 - and ironically enough even though I am doing just a Liquid Protein diet (no actual food) 2-4 Protein Shakes a day, Water and/or crystal/wylers light, three bites of sugar free Jello total, and sugar free Popsicles and I CANNOT break the 300 marker. My surgery is scheduled for Feb. 28th. Ultimately, this is a personal decision, but as I've read on here and from my own personal experience - we ALL have doubts before the surgery. You just need to determine whether the benefits outweigh the risk worth taking and always remember that prayer is a powerful tool. Hope I helped! Good luck!