Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Sleeve, now on TPN with PICC line.

Hello,

I am 11 weeks Post-Op Gastric Sleeve. Over the course of the first month I suffered heart burn and nausea to the point where I didn't want to eat or even drink Water. I became dehydrated was hospitalized and had a PICC line inserted for TPN. I just started my 4th week on TPN and have seen no improvement. I am not vomiting but even thinking about food or water makes me nauseous to the point I won't eat or drink anything. I'm scared I will never be able to eat again and have to stay on TPN forever. Has anyone heard of this? Will it get better? How Long?

Thanks for listening!

This is so scary for you......It does feel like that but it will get better when they isolate the problem and they will take you off tpn. It takes a while to find the problem but when they do, you will heal....Keep us informed to how your doing......sending healing energy your way. :)

Sorry what s TPN?

[*]TPN = Trans Parenteral Nutrition' date=' in other words intravenous feeding.

[/quote']

Hope you feel better. Hopefully your TPN will be short term, to correct your malnutrition and dehydration. Are they using it for antibiotic treatment?

Thanks! No antibiotics' date=' just nutrition.[/quote']

They will probably rest your stomach and let it heal, for the meantime they want to make sure your nutrition and caloric needs are met with TPN. Wish you well and speedy recovery!

Have they done any tests to see what is going on? An EGD or CT Scan? Have they tried to reintroduce food now that you haven't eaten in weeks?

Sorry what s TPN?

TPN = Total Parenteral Nutrition; i.e., ALL rhody's nutition, generally fluids, electrolytes, amino acids, etc. come through this source.

The good news is that it is often a temporary measure because the maintainance of the line can be a complication. rhody, I hope your medical team is able to isolate your issue(s) soon.

Thanks everyone for your support. Scheduled for an endoscopy Monday morning. I hope they find something that would explain the difficulties! I've been on TPN for a month now and I'm getting scared...the nausea isn't getting better.

Rhody I just had an EGD yesterday as well. I really hope that they can figure out what is going on. Please keep us updated, Good luck Monday!