Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

feeling hope slipping away

All of us who go through insurance have a whole bunch of hoops to jump through. The doctor wants you to get the surgery...just wants to be safe. When there is a will there is a way...just do all of the appointments. Keep on trecking! :)

I will - thanks!

I suffer from arthritis, bursitis and fibromyalgia... pain pain and pain... and my psych eval deemed me depressed but that did not exclude me from surgery... I got stalled in my exercises because of the arthritis/bursitis... but I have to say that for the most part, I am feeling better...mentally, physically and emotionally... Don't give up... don't lose hope...we all have our "issues" ... know you're not alone...

Thank you! It really means a lot to me

Thanks, Mastiff_mama :) I have RA - and I'm really concerned about not being able to take ibuprofen - the last time I tried that I ended up with a cane and steroid injections. The doctor is concerned about my reflux (she said the surgery is likely to make it worse and I already have moderate esophagitis from it - even with PPIs), and I have pretty bad Iron deficiency anemia that the doctors haven't been able to find a cause for. Several other more minor issues - but they involve a possible pre-existing malabsorption issue. I'm not really sure exactly what else she might be concerned about - most of my other issues are co-morbidities. I have also been on Prozac for years, and she said the surgery could trigger worsening depression and that I might not absorb enough of my medications.

I understand about the NSAIDS ....I relied on Advil to control pain and inflammation (I have MS, ACL tear, ruptured disc...) almost daily. When I knew I was going to have this surgery I kind of weaned myself off but I need to find something else that I will be able to take. Have you tried Voltaren? It is an NSAIDS gel that you rub on the painful joint/area. It still has all the same risks of oral NSAIDS but I would think that the fact the the pill is not actually going through the tiny stomach would be less risky? My next appointment with my doc is Monday and I'm going to discuss it with him.

As for your depression.... In my Aetna guidelines it specifically states that depression by itself should not prohibit a patient from having this surgery. It cracks me up to hear about people being denied the surgery due to depression. To me it stands to reason that obesity plays a huge role in the depression of obese person. I've battled depression for years and I can tell you it was all related to being fat, loathing myself, failing over and over to lose weight, etc..... is it optimal that you work out your issues before surgery? Well sure, in a perfect world. My opinion is have the surgery, start with a therapist and use BOTH tools (surgery and therapy) at the same time to work toward your new beginning/new life.

Of course there are always extreme cases or cases where the type of depression would be a show stopper for the surgery. I remember hearing about a patient that was denied because the psyche eval found that the patient did not take responsibility in her daily life and was not capable of successfully following the lifelong changes the surgery required. That is reasonable....

I know that you have other medical issues that may be an issue and wish good luck with whatever decision you make...

~Dana

I have severe back pain from scoliosis surgery and arthritis in my left knee. I go to a pain clinic for the cronic pain and I take Celebrex. I was not aware of topical nsaids, I am going to ask about that. I am concerned with the Celebrex but it helps along with the pain meds. I am sure the weight is causing a lot of the pain too. I don't fight severe depression but when I had to stop Water aerobics because of my knee, I got down, felt like that was my last chance to lose on my own and thus the gastric sleeve. I know I am an emotional eater so I am sure I have hidden depression for lack of a better word. I do have my faith which helps me a lot in many areas of my life but does not seem to help me with my weight loss. I hope you will get the approval you want, sounds like you have a great surgeon with concern for you personally and you are not just another case. Good luck.

health issues (that could get worse with VGS) and history of depression.

docbree

sorry you are losing a little "hope" involving the WLS - being concerned if you will medically/mentally are a good candidate for the surgery

its good that you are putting yourself in your doctors good hands, believing, trusting her judgement

i can tell she is looking out for you :)

that being said - you must think of/for yourself - you are the MAIN one that should make this important decision

but....going back in circles - MAYBE your doctor is more objective, and you have/should take her advice, go through your thoughts, and hopefully with her help and maybe others you can come to a good decision concerning the surgery

maybe she thinks you should just wait a year or so??

you/we all need to be "mentally" prepared to take on this big WLS - we/you have to follow a very rigid program for the rest of your life!!!!

i heard a similar comment from OP that a dr. was concerned about a present pre WLS problems would get worse through surgery????

for me - ie diabetes, high blood pressure, CPAP, knees - all these health issues and more usually improve, and often these problems disappear - no more meds etc. - for me those improvements happened

I didn't experience acid reflux (gerd) - maybe on an occassion - but nothing on a regular basis

i hear this bad issue is usually alleviated also :)

in other words, i don't understand why a dr would say certain things might go "downhill" if you have WLS?

Alllll MY medical issues no longer exist

as many many many others in the entire world - i do "suffer" from depression (feel like i'm in a "confessional" and you are all the priest?? :lol:

many many many people in "our" situation, being heavy et al - are depressed, low self esteem from appearance due to their weight - stuff like that :(

my therapist once said something like "half the world is in therapy, the other half SHOULD be :lol:

this "problem" of depression can/may improve as you lose weight (for me) it did

starting to feel better about yourself etc. not for all maybe, but losing the weight totally improved my self-image :)

i wake up looking forward to each new day :)

good luck

Hi docbree. I cannot imagine the extra problems you are dealing with but do know that just getting all the preop appointments and testing done is quite a challenge and not meant for everyone. I started with setting the appointments for each test and then ended up having to do further testing with every stinking one of them except the psych eval. The ekg showed an extra blip so had to schedule a stress test. The chest xray showed a spot... So on an d so forth... Bottom line, i had to have my thyroid removed at the end of december as a result of a ct scan to check the spot on the lung! This process is not easy, but to me, was well worth jumping through every hoop placed in front of me. The one thing that really helped was to print off monthly calendars with big blocks for each day so that i could write down all the appointments, along with stops i needed to make each day, as well as work obligations. I wrote with pencil because so many times, things must be shuffled to make it all work. I lived by those calendars and referred to them several times a day. I do understand that you have additional stressors because of the additional health issues, but setting your mind to do whatever is necessary to reach this surgery goal, i believe, will pay off with not just an improved physical health, but with improved mental and emotional health because you will know you were able to perservere and reach your goal of jumping through every frigging hoop they put in front of you. I do wish you success with whichever route you go. Not proceeding at this point does not mean you failed, it means realizing you are not ready at this moment, which is wise.