Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not such a good time

Hi all,

This is my first posting, even though i have been following the board for a few months.

Thought i'd tell you my experience, i was banded 3 weeks ago and was told this was such a routine operation, i was so excited i've been considering having a band for a few years now and finaly plucked up the courage to have it done.

When i woke up from surgery i had such a bad pain in my left shoulder i couldn't move, but i thought no pain no gain, as i had the op early in the morning i was told that i could go home in the evening. Thankfully for me the nurse that took me to the clinic was delayed, and was told she'd pick me up in the morning, no worries i was happy to stay put, once again she was delay on route, but by this time i started to fill ill, i was going dizzy and put it down to the anesthetic the nurse finaly came for me around noon, but by this time i was feeling worse, she sat me in the chair where i past out, from then on it was a bit of a blur, i knew there were things going on around me and that the surgen had ome back into the room, next thing i rememner i'm being rushed back into surgery. When i came too i was hooked up to everything possible, and later told i had internal bleeding due to a burst blood vessel, and needed 3 units of blood and now sporting an 7-8inch scar starting from just under my breast and going down to my tummy, i was so upset i was expecting very small scars, the Dr cut across the top scar, which after two days of being out of the clinic was infected, i was so worried i had all this stuff pouring from me, so after 3 days of being home i was back in the clinic and on meds for another 5 days. I'm still not 100% i'm waiting for the wound to heal, i still have a few probs moving around due to the open wound, but i am being positive, i have just had my first fill and looking forward to wearing something nice at Xmas,

But i would say to anyone wanting this operation, don't just look into the lap band surgery look into the lapascopic procedure in general, be carfull its not always so straight forward.

I'm so sorry you had this experience, and hope you're on the mend now! Surgical complications can pop up at any time, with this or any other surgery. It's why it's so important to really do a risk analysis before deciding on this major medical procedure.

Most of us come to the conclusion that the risk is with the potential benefit, since it is relatively low compared to other bariatric procedures. But it's not completely without risk and sometimes we just hit the booby trap.

Take good care of yourself and heal quickly!

hope you are feeling better such a scare for you.im in the waiting mode now for my banding.hopefully time will heal all wounds.take care jim

Things happen when you least expect them, we almost lost our youngest DD during a routine tonsilectomy...it happens sometimes. Thankfully lap band like her tonsilectomy is very rarely a complicated surgery.

Glad you are on the mend, be sure to post your new Christmas outfit!!

It was a rough trip---but welcome to Bandland!!

Kat

Sorry to hear of your complications. As the others say there are risks, we just don't think it will happen to us. Most of the surgeries are routine, but there are those that for them it is not. I'm sorry you were one of the exceptions.

Glad to hear you are doing better now and on your first fill after 3 weeks. While that is fast. You should be well on your way for Christmas.