Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the Opti-Fast the worst part? - Please?

Hi,

I've been "lurking" the last few months but now my date is near - next week, Dr. Coburn - and I could REALLY do with some advice on the Opti-fast.

I didn't think this would happen but after only 4 days I really dread having to take it. On Sunday I skipped taking my mid-day shake and I felt like a truck had run over me by the eveing. Big mistake.

Now, I feel absolutely wiped out by the evenings and I could fall asleep anywhere, any time. I really considered asking if I could get my money back by the time Sunday night rolled around. I was getting myself prepared for the pain of the surgery etc. etc. but now I'm not sure I can handle the "hunger" thing (and the headaches). Maybe craving is a better word for it - not hunger.

I thought I was stronger than this - I feel like a wimp. Everone seems so happy with their lap-band - does it get any easier? Tonight I had 4 crackers - already I've fallen off the wagon.

Oh my God, now I'm a whiner!

i'm being banded in December. My doctor only told me to do a liquid diet 24 hours before surgery. He didn't mention anything about Opti-fast. I'm just curious why some doctors do that and some don't

December 19 - Dr. Spiegel

You aren't a whiner. You are hungry and feeling weak from having only 900 calories a day. You CAN make it through this one minute or one second at a time. Have you had any lettuce with balsamic or broccoli? Do you have any no calorie flavouring for your Water? Try involving yourself with something that will occupy your mind. Do you have anything you need to research on the internet? How about looking for a charity or cause you can get involved with. These may be lame suggestions, but I know when I am busy, I am not thinking so much about my stomach. Keep me posted on how you are doing. I am always glad to chat.

Hi NancyC,

You are very kind, thanks. I will do something to keep myself occupied - that is a good idea, rather than dwelling on it. Work keeps me very busy during the day, but I'll have to get going in the evenings.

I know you start tomorrow on the Opti-Fast, so good luck! Let's keep in touch. Don't skip any shakes!

Is Opti-fast the worst part?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely the worst 3 weeks, but 3 weeks that I'm the most proud of. Hang in there, it is absolutely worth it!!! What helped me was to put little sticky flowers on the kitchen cupboard, one representing every opti-fast meal I had to take before surgery. Every time I drank one I would rip it off, sometimes stomp on it or rip it to shreds. But it really helped to see the stickys getting smaller and smaller. I found that using ice cold Water and adding shaved ice in the blender helped alot. I had to do opti-fast for 3 weeks, yes it was hard, but I did it and my surgery went perfect, and you can do it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I've been "lurking" the last few months but now my date is near - next week, Dr. Coburn - and I could REALLY do with some advice on the Opti-fast.

I didn't think this would happen but after only 4 days I really dread having to take it. On Sunday I skipped taking my mid-day shake and I felt like a truck had run over me by the eveing. Big mistake.

Now, I feel absolutely wiped out by the evenings and I could fall asleep anywhere, any time. I really considered asking if I could get my money back by the time Sunday night rolled around. I was getting myself prepared for the pain of the surgery etc. etc. but now I'm not sure I can handle the "hunger" thing (and the headaches). Maybe craving is a better word for it - not hunger.

I thought I was stronger than this - I feel like a wimp. Everone seems so happy with their lap-band - does it get any easier? Tonight I had 4 crackers - already I've fallen off the wagon.

Oh my God, now I'm a whiner!

I hear ya! Those two week pre-surgery were much harder then anything since. I didn't even want to eat much for a couple of weeks afterwards, and then I kept telling myself to be good and follow directions to let the band heal. Kept me on track.

Hi Taymac,

What you are feeling is completely normal....but once you have the band (properly restricted that is) you won't feel the hunger like you do now...so yes, in a way this IS the tough part.

I had to do a yougurt pre-op diet (not optifast) but I still suffered the same feelings of hunger and headache and tiredness etc, so I can relate.

Also, a few yrs a go I did do the entire Optifast program (a few months of optifast!!!) so I DO know wherein you are coming from.

If it is the taste that is bugging you, add any and all flavours from extracts (ie. bananna, almond, peppermint, vanilla etc etc); it really helps and builds up the yum factor.

As for the non-flavour issues: be strong and stick with it....yes, we ALL experienced it (those who had to do a pre-op diet) and live to tell the tale...so just tell yourself that if "they" can do it, "I" can do it!!!

You are almost THERE!!!!!! It WILL get better!!!!!!

I too hated the opti-fast... actually had to plug my nose to drink it. I ended up calling the office and they recommended I mix it with crystal light. It was a life saver for me. As well, I was told I could have light Jello and clear broth!!!

Best of luck to you!!!!!

Dawn Banded April 4th

Montreal

weight.png

Christmas Goal

weight.png

Thanks for the support and hints everyone.

I was worried that the hunger would always be there even after the procedure - I wasn't sure I could take it going on forever and ever. I'm going to try the Crystal Light and the flavours (bought some today) and I'm going to be strong. I started today with new resolve.

I'm just starting to realize what a lot of strength it takes to do the lap band thing properly. Every stage must have its challenges. Until now I've only read about it through your posts. So now I get to live it.

By the way, Yoda, I can't imagine doing the Opt-fast thing for months - you must be tougher than all get-out.

You have a good positive attitude Taymac and that is half the battle!!!

Keep up the good work and good luck!! You can do this.

Taymac, nothing else will challenge your willpower more than the opti-fast. After surgery you wont fill like eating for a while, then after that your band will help with the willpower. It's never completely smooth sailing, but it get way, way, way easier!!!!

OK - just in case anybody reads this thread in the future, I just want to let you know that everything the other lap banders say here is true. It's now been one week and I feel just fine.

No tiredness or fuzzy brain and the hunger is GONE. I've dropped 8 pounds and I don't feel like quitting anymore.

The Crystal Lite works and so does adding coffee (not the best solution, I know but it works for me). So now my body/stomach is getting ready for what comes next.

If I didn't have the Opt-hell first, I'm not sure going into surgery and then having to deal with the hunger/fuzzies all in the same week would have been very "nice".

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. Wahoo ... roll on next week.