Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MRSA - very scared

I was sleeved on 1/23 and had my drain out 1/28. At the time, one of the incisions, the one a couple of inches below my cleavage was bothering me, but the surgeon said that it looked OK and to keep it clean, etc. It continued to bother me, and over the past weekend, I noticed that the area around it felt hot when I changed the bandage. Further, it oozed yellow/white pus with a little bit of pressure.

Monday, I went to my family doctor to have it checked out. They cultured the incision, and today, it came back positive for MRSA! Fortunately, my family doc had started me out on Bactrim DS, which is one of the antibiotics known to be effective for MRSA and regular staph infections, so I am three days into treatment.

I am freaked out and scared to death. Has anyone had this experience? The wound is looking better.

I was sleeved on 1/23 and had my drain out 1/28. At the time' date=' one of the incisions, the one a couple of inches below my cleavage was bothering me, but the surgeon said that it looked OK and to keep it clean, etc. It continued to bother me, and over the past weekend, I noticed that the area around it felt hot when I changed the bandage. Further, it oozed yellow/white pus with a little bit of pressure.

Monday, I went to my family doctor to have it checked out. They cultured the incision, and today, it came back positive for MRSA! Fortunately, my family doc had started me out on Bactrim DS, which is one of the antibiotics known to be effective for MRSA and regular staph infections, so I am three days into treatment.

I am freaked out and scared to death. Has anyone had this experience? The wound is looking better.[/quote']

I'm sorry to hear you had that experience

I had same incision that got infected bu Dr never tested it. Had me on antibiotics & told me to clean it with wound wash & not to put any ointment on it. I am now 5 1/2 months out & doing fine. Just keep taking your antibiotics & call Dr if you notice any changes.

Don't be scared, you've got this under control......Thank goodness you were being proactive on your incision care. You are going to be just fine..... :) HUGS

I was colonized with MRSA during my UCSF surgery 4/11/13. The wounds took over a month to close but no flags went off in all my calls despite my saying it seemed like they were taking too long to close. In late June, I had 2 new wounds open that started with spider bites, the cultures came back and they said it cultured as the hospital variety. I was undermedicated but those wounds healed. I had a new wound appear in a different location one week after the first two closed in late July. It resulted in 3 ER visits, surgery, hospitalization, a systemic infection, huge bills and I am still healing. You are lucky you can take Bactrim. I am allergic to that medicine and it is the most effective against MRSA. Good luck to you.