Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where's the port!

Sue, did they relocate your port after your plastic surgery? I had heard of a woman whose seat belt damaged her port. She had the lower port location. Mine is in a very comfortable, out of the way place. My surgeon has put in over 700 bands. I'll ask him about port location when I see him on 7/29. Boy, this is as confusing as all the different eating instructions different drs. give their banded patients to follow. No two are alike!

Originally posted by GeezerSue

As far as I know, Rumbaut almost always uses a sternum placement (kinda between the breasts). .

Yep! Jessie is a Rumbaut patient. She says she loves it and it's easy access.

Mine is right at my waist, which can really hurt if you want to wear jeans or something with a fairly snug waistband. :huytsao

Originally posted by New Hope

Sue, did they relocate your port after your plastic surgery?

No. But remember that I am still obese and nowhere near goal. Maybe when I lose another 80 pounds (I'd settle for 60, honest I would) it will be in the way. I'm thinking that I may have to do something to actually lose weight. Like exercise or eat reasonably, that kind of thing. I not yet committed to that concept, but I'm working on it. And I have no fill and probably won't until September or so. (I've got a consult and from that we may have an endoscopy, just for the hell of it, so I'm not going to mess with the band until then.)

Oh, I need to clarify...the woman whose lower port was damaged by a seat belt, was from an auto accident, not just regular usage.

Hi everybody, Thanks for all the response to my post. I just got back from a little vacation, and I was glad to check in with my "band buddies. " I've been prodding around my abdomen and I have determined that the port is definitely the one below my waist. I have alot of upper body fat and large breasts, so maybe he thought there was more room down lower! lol It doesn't bother me there, I was just fretting a bit about where it was since I am scheduled for my first fill on Friday this week. I am ready for this fill, as I have been "scarfing down" for the past few days. Of course I am eating much less than pre-band, but it feels like alot after becoming accustomed to eating so lightly. And yes, I loved Dr. Rumbaut, I researched carefully before choosing him and I just think he's the best on this continent.

Kudos to Rumbaut!

Neicy, I'll get my 1st fill 7/29. I've been wanting to eat everything that's not nailed down. I hope your fill goes well! My port is centered 7 inches above my waist and 1 & 1/2 inches below the bottom of my bra. I'm just curious how a dr. decides placement. Does a surgeon use one particular method on all patients, or does it depend on each patient's anatomy?

I would imagine that a person's anatomy would factor into placement. When I had my hysterectomy, the surgeon did a Tummy Tuck. He sutured the abdominal muscles together below the navel and did some liposuction and Excess skin removal. Ever since, I have looked so much fatter above the waist! I'm kind of built like a 55 gallon drum with 42DDD boobs! My quess is that it was easier to put the port in a spot where there was a little less fat.

You have lost a pretty good bit of weight since you've been banded, you can't be eating that much.

I lost most of my weight in the first month after banding while I was on liquids and mushys. I was concerned about losing too fast, but the loss has come to a halt since the last three weeks.

I'm sure a fill will help get me on track.

That placing the port subcostally [just below the ribs on the left or right] is often chosen because it provides a lateral orientation of the tubing between the band and the port, and may prevent dislocation of the tubing and port.

That is just what I have gathered from various journal articles related to the placement of the port. I have read that there could be greater risk of osteomylitis with the xiphoid orientation of the port...but once again I am sure that both placements will have their sucess stories and their problem stories.

Thanks for the info, Laserjock. My port is about 3.5 to 4 inches below my ribs on the left. I had an upper GI taken for the fill doc and I could see the tubing extending laterally to the area.

I think they left my port alone, but with this second surgery. The largest incision feels more like he used a nail-gun and tacked my muscles to my ribcage. :cry :cry

What I was trying to say is that from what I understand in reading about port placement is that the area right beneath the ribs appears to be a popular place to locate the port for a couple of reasons. First, it helps insure a lateral orientation of the tubing between the port and the band. The argument for this as I understand is that this helps minimize stress on the tubing that might result in dislocation from the port. Second, some information suggested [and this might be "old" info now and may not be a concern any further] that placing the port in the xiphoid [sternum] region, may have resulted in cases of bone infection.

Logic to me would dictate that the amount of experience surgeons have now with band surgery may have resulted in a decrease in these complications, and I am sure that even with lateral tube orientation some will have their port tube disconnect by accident.

Experience clearly appears to be key to the reduction of complications in this procedure...but that is not much of a revelation!

Thanks, Laserjock! Are you banded? If so, where and how long? How has your weight loss been (if applicable)? What kind of clinical laboratory testing do you do?

Actually no...I am not banded. My wife is scheduled to be banded this Monday.

I have been heavily researching this procedure for her, and doing so from a review of the scientific literature as well as reading as many personal accounts of the procedure as I can find.

This board is the first one I have found that seems devoid of all the politics, blatant dis- and mis-information, or "ads" for credit and crap.

I have read journal articles and literature reviews of this procedure going back for about 3-4 years...and have based my opinions on that, along with taking personal accounts and considering their post-op behavior and expectations.

I have read so much and asked so many questions of the surgeon my wife will be using that I probably am bordering on being a pest...but this is still surgery and I want to be completely satisfied with the choice we have made as she is the most important thing in my life next to our son and I had to be sure of all the details. I am completely comfortable with this procedure and we both understand the risks and rewards.

As for my work, I direct a clinical trials laboratory that provides esoteric testing and development for pharmaceutical and biotech companies, focusing mainly on the immunologic impacts of their targeted therapeutics. Most are involved in monoclonal antibody or small molecule based therapeutics in the oncology and autoimmune disease corridors.

So yes...I am a science geek...just look at my photo over to the left... :)

Originally posted by Laserjock

So yes...I am a science geek...just look at my photo over to the left... :)

lol, Science geeks welcome! I find it admirable that you are getting involved in your wife's healthier future to this extent.

Leatha

Plano, Texas