Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where's the port!

Hi Ya'll

I have an ignorant question for you more experienced bandsters. I'm not quite sure where my port is, and I have an appointment to get a fill on the 23rd of this month. I've read that it should be the largest incision, but my largest incision is about 2 inches below the waist and off a ways from the other smaller ones. I asked one of the nurses at the hospital where it was and she indicated an incision just inside my ribcage. There is a hard mass under both of these and I just can't tell which is the port. I could e-mail Dr. Rumbaut, but I figured I'd throw this out there first in case there is some "trick" to locating the rascal by feel!

Mine is to the right of my belly button (if you are looking at my belly) or the left if I am looking at my belly. And it is mid way between my rib cage and my waste. So not sure about yours. Is Dr. Rumbault gonna do the fill? If so then he should know where it is located. Get him to point it out. Below the waist seems like a weird place for the port and way too low but there might have been something about your anatomy that it needed to be placed there.

I wish I could go back to Dr. Rumbaut for the fills, But it's not cost effective! I have a follow up surgeon nearby who's pretty experienced, has done my daughter and she hasn't had any problem. I guess I am a natural worrier. What if he can't find it? What if he misses? How will he know just where to stick if he didn't place it? I'm sure they prod around alot and have experience feeling for the darn thing, so I'm gonna let him do the worrying! Is your port easily palpable?

Is your port easily palpable?

Yes mine is easily felt but it is tilted and hard to access for the doc. One of the things we hope to correct with this next surgery.

IT is hard and you can feel the edges of it. At least I can feel mine.

Unless you have sternal placement or above your left breast. I've only heard of port placement on the left side, normally right at your waist. In my case, my port incision was the only one I ever felt any pain with because it's the largest and has the port beneath it. The scar for the port would be larger than the other scars, also.

Leatha

Just curious as to how/why a dr. decides where to locate a port. I have a sternal port (just below rib cage). It seems to be in a great location and doesn't bother me. I've been told that the sternal port doesn't have to be relocated after extensive weight loss. Just wondering...

Were you happy with Dr. Rumbaut. I am going to him

September 7th. I would love to hear about your trip there. Our starting weight and height are almost the same. I cant believe how much weight you have lost that is great!!!!! I would be so happy to have such awsome progress. Any down sides at this time? keep us the good work!

Originally posted by New Hope

Just curious as to how/why a dr. decides where to locate a port. I have a sternal port (just below rib cage). It seems to be in a great location and doesn't bother me. I've been told that the sternal port doesn't have to be relocated after extensive weight loss. Just wondering...

Wouldn't the sternal port be higher? Above the sternum? Like between the breasts? Nurse... oh Nurse???

Mine is in the center (not to the left side), right below the rib cage. I have a short torso. But it's 7 inches above my belly button.

Hi Neicy,

Don't feel silly, it took me weeks to figure out which one I thought my port was. I was asking the same question all over this board. I haven't had a fill yet but I am 99.99% sure I know which wound it is on me now. Since everyone describes it as the wound they had the most trouble with or was irritated by, I figured it must be the same for me. Mine is probably about 5 inches below my left breast. It not only was more painful and more swollen than all the other wounds but it leaked like a sive for a week too. Don't worry, I am sure they will know. Is Dr. Raumbaut transfering a copy of your records to the local doc? I am in the process of trying to get mine trasfered from Dr. Lopez's office. Best of luck, Teresa

Teresa: GOOD LUCK getting your records. Oh when you ask for them make sure they send ENGLISH copies. I had to finally call the hospital where I had the procedure and ask them to send me a copy. LOPEZ' office still has not sent mine. I got mine in the mail the other day and was all excited to read them being an RN you now. Well I realized I can't read SPANISH. LOL!! Everything was in Spanish. NOTHING was in English. So make sure you ask for an ENGLISH copy.

I would advise just calling the hospital where you were banded and asking for a copy to be sent to your home. Or to the doc you are going to. Don't wait on Lopez you will never get them. Mind you it isn't him that is the delay it is Carmen and Nora cause they don't get in a hurry for anyone. LOL!!

Just my two cents worth.

Leatha: You would think the Sternal position would be between the breasts. But I would highly doubt they would position it there. Sternal position is just a landmark notation for the surgeon or whoever is going to access the port of where to look and feel for the port. The port would be very uncomfortable if it was positioned between the breasts. And it could be damaged if the person needed CPR. LOL!!!

Hi Penni,

I am not entirely sure they will come either but not only did I email them with the request, I also talked to Ann Marie at belighter with that request. She said she would get them on it. Ann Marie was the one that arranged everything so I figure she can help get everything settled. Anita Jordon never has trouble getting Nora's or Dr. Carmens attention. I don't know why some people have a more difficult time than others. She even got to go out and have dinner with Dr. Lopez a few weeks ago while she was attending the band seminar. Who knows... I'll wait a week and then call the hospital. I can make out some spanish and know plenty of people who could translate if for me. Best wishes, Teresa

Originally posted by Penni60

Leatha: . The port would be very uncomfortable if it was positioned between the breasts. And it could be damaged if the person needed CPR. LOL!!!

Makes sense to me, but Jessie Ahroni states that hers is very much in the area of her cleavage and she loves it!

As far as I know, Rumbaut almost always uses a sternum placement (kinda between the breasts). He's my surgeon; that's where mine is; that's where everybody who was banded the day I was has their port. that may even be where HIS port is located...I didn't ask.