Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have any of you gone to Mexico for surgery without a passport?

Surgery is in 13 days. I went to apply and expedite my passport today and the woman in charge informed me that the birth certificate I have always used for everything is not an original. She said it was a copied birth certificate and that I would have to order a new one from the county I was born in. She said California was the slowest state as to getting people their birth cetificates. I've talked to my coordinator and she has assured me that I will be absolutely fine without a passport as long as I have ID and a utility bill with my current address. Has anyone else had to do it this way?

From the United State State Dept. Website

Since March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children – have been required to present a valid passport or passport card for travel into Mexico. While documents are not routinely checked along the land border, Mexican authorities at immigration checkpoints approximately 20 to 30 kilometers from the border with the U.S. will often conduct vehicle and document inspections and will require valid travel documents and an entry permit or Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM). All U.S. citizens entering by land and traveling farther than 20 kilometers into Mexico should stop at an immigration checkpoint to obtain an FMM, even if not explicitly directed to do so by Mexican officials. Beyond the 20-30 kilometer border zone, all non-Mexican citizens must have valid immigration documents (FMM, FM2, FM3 or FME) regardless of the original place of entry. Failure to present an FMM when checking in for an international flight departing Mexico can result in delays or missed flights as airlines may insist that a valid FMM be obtained from Mexican immigration authorities (Instituto Nacional de Migración, INM) before issuing a boarding pass.

I was born in CA and ordered my birth certificate from vitalchek.com and got it in about 1 week. Went to the passport office and requested (and paid through the nose for my passport) an expedited passport.

Surgery is in 13 days. I went to apply and expedite my passport today and the woman in charge informed me that the birth certificate I have always used for everything is not an original. She said it was a copied birth certificate and that I would have to order a new one from the county I was born in. She said California was the slowest state as to getting people their birth cetificates. I've talked to my coordinator and she has assured me that I will be absolutely fine without a passport as long as I have ID and a utility bill with my current address. Has anyone else had to do it this way?

Not for surgery, but for other stuff I have gone to Mexico multiple times without a passport.

From the United State State Dept. Website

Since March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children – have been required to present a valid passport or passport card for travel into Mexico. While documents are not routinely checked along the land border, Mexican authorities at immigration checkpoints approximately 20 to 30 kilometers from the border with the U.S. will often conduct vehicle and document inspections and will require valid travel documents and an entry permit or Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM). All U.S. citizens entering by land and traveling farther than 20 kilometers into Mexico should stop at an immigration checkpoint to obtain an FMM, even if not explicitly directed to do so by Mexican officials. Beyond the 20-30 kilometer border zone, all non-Mexican citizens must have valid immigration documents (FMM, FM2, FM3 or FME) regardless of the original place of entry. Failure to present an FMM when checking in for an international flight departing Mexico can result in delays or missed flights as airlines may insist that a valid FMM be obtained from Mexican immigration authorities (Instituto Nacional de Migración, INM) before issuing a boarding pass.

Thanks for the info. Is that just for flying to and from mexico or driving too?

I was born in CA and ordered my birth certificate from vitalchek.com and got it in about 1 week. Went to the passport office and requested (and paid through the nose for my passport) an expedited passport.

Awesome. I will try that wbsite

Not for surgery, but for other stuff I have gone to Mexico multiple times without a passport.

Have you done it recently?Like within the past year or two?

Thanks for the info. Is that just for flying to and from Mexico or driving too?

either

I have read a lot of other people on here going with out a passport, just birth certificate and a DL.

This is how I will be going. I am scheduled for 3/2 and do not have a passport and really cant spend the $245 to have it expidited which still probably wont get here in time.

You will be fine without a passport. When I went a girl that was in the car with us didn't have one, they didn't even ask for it. My sister just came home from there last week and she didn't have one, they didn't ask for hers either.

When I went in November, a girl came back with a birth certificate and driver's license.