Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Texarkana Bandsters

Hi everyone. Went to the support meeting last night, may have seen some of you there but of vourse don't know anyone by name. They had a couple of speakers from the psyc. eval. office. There were some people that got pins for there weight loss. Two had lost 100 lbs!!!!!! That is encouraging, huh!? I meant to get there a little earlier so I could visit a little more but just couldn't seem to get away from the house early enough. I'll try and do better next time. Hope everyone is doing well with whatever stage they are in. Hope we get some new people on soon. I told Dr. K about this thread and if she remembers she will tell others and possibly send out a broadcast email to everyone. Take care everyone and keep posting. I was going to go back to March bandsters for a visit but don't remember how to get there?

:update: I finally found an acceptable loan and was apporved yesterday afternoon. I will be contacting Precision Surgery this morning and finding out what all I have to do to get this ball rolling!!!!:dance:

If anyone out there is a teacher and trying to figure out how to afford this, members of the NEA can get personal loans and lines of credit with the lowest interest rates I've found in the past month and half!:clap2:

Good for you lo2us!! It will be nice for others to know that too. Hope this note finds everyone doing well. How do you insert those little animated icons? I haven't figured that out. oh, don't forget about the support meetings. There were several pre-banders there at Mon nights meeting. They encourage that. Hope things go quickly for you with the loan. I am seriously considering calling Dr. K to see about another fill. I thought I could feel a little restriction at first but it must have been in my head because I do not now. It has been a week, and I know i am over eating. I sure don't want to dialate my pouch, I am kinda nervous about that. I will be glad to get to the proper restriction and really get with losing the weight. I guess I am going to be one of those in the "slow losers club." Pooey! I just have to keep chugging along. Have a nice day, the weather looks like it is going to be great.

Sugarbear...don't get discouraged about the lack of restriction, it will probably take you a couple of fills to get any and keep it...I would be surprised if they give you a second fill when it has only been a week since the last...I understand about the feeling like you are over-eating, I did this too...remember, your band really doesn't have a lot in it...even though you have had a fill, the band will absorb that little bit and you will still not have any restriction, that is why it takes a few times to get the feel you need...It is like blowing up a mattress, the first bit of air fills the wasted space first before you actually start seeing results...I doubt you are "over-eating", just eating more than you are expecting to be able to with a band...it is still possible to eat more, you have to make yourself cut back...I had a long time that I didn't lose, or very little and that is what I found I was doing...I thought that I would know when enough was enough and found that I could eat most of a hamburger before I even thought about it was too much...never really got sick either... I have started losing again, but it is mostly because I decided to work harder at it (and the second fill has given me a little more restriction)...I cut back my portions (even though, I want more and can eat more, I stick with only a half cup of food) and I am watching what I am eating (no bread, Pasta, sweets, etc...)too...the second fill hasn't given me a lot of restriction, but enough that I am beginning to say, I know this is enough...you are going to do this and succeed, give yourself time...I look at if I am losing it slowly, I am going to get into the habit of watching more closely the amount/what I am eating rather than if I were to peel it off quickly I might take for granted that I can put it back on just as fast as I lost it....Hope I am making sense and not just rambling to you...I pray for each of you everyday and wish all the best of luck...My husband is doing great...has lost 6 lbs in his first 5 days of Pre-op...had lost 15 lbs before he started while doing what I have been doing...

I just spoke to a co worker who's niece had this done and she told me that ALL bands leak. Is that true?????

NOT ALL BANDS LEAK! :angry Some do, some don't. You are gonna hear all kinds of junk like that. I think that the reasons are different for leaks, some are port problems others are due to the fact that it slipped past inspection at the manufacturer. There could be a million reasons or excuses why ONE band leaked. It's the same with RNY or any other kind of WLS. Don't let the horror "stories" scare you. By the way Good for you getting your loan. We are here to support you all the way!

Sugarbear, I hate to disappoint you yet again. They don't do fills closer than 4 wks. I have had two and I still don't feel any restriction. (Well, not much to speak of) I think I'm gonna be in that slow loser also, and I'm beginning to get a little discouraged, but I will loose it. I am determined. I haven't felt like exercising this week (sick) but I haven't gained any. BE STRONG! and patient. Remember, we didn't get this overweight overnight and it's going to take some time to get it off.

Ok, I through.... sorry yall. I'm just in a grouchy mood today.:sick

lisa

Hi Lisa, hope you get to feeling better soon. Maybe this weather will help. It seems like it is getting better than the past week. Just so windy. You are right about me not being too patient. It's just that I finally made the decision to get banded and do something about my weight, went through all the pre-op and post-op diet. Now I am ready to get this show on the road. I was looking forward to getting my first fill even though I knew it wouldn't be much restriction. Guess I was hoping for at least "some." Every now and then you will read where someone has restriction with the first fill. I have been watching what I eat since surgery. I have only had one piece of toast, and today I had a small piece of cornbread, that is total since surgery (as far as bread goes). I have had some ice cream once since surgery, no other sweets. tuna salad one time, but I think I might try some meat pretty soon. It has been 5 weeks today since surgery. So it is really just now time for me to go back to solids. I guess ground meat might be the better choice to start? I love most veggies and that is what I mostly eat. Oh, I have had some fish the other day and it was great.

Vlynnfogg, tell your husband we are proud of him and keep up the good work, we all know what he is going through at this point. How are you doing on the liquids again? I lost 17 lbs. on that. Did the bun on a hamburger not bother you? I have been thinking about sharing one with my husband, but have been leary of it. There are so many things I haven't eaten a bite of since surgery that I ate almost daily. Guess that is one reason I have expected a little more loss. Take care, I have rambled long enough.

Sugarbear, I am in the same shoes. I'm ready to get the show on the road too. And I am having a discouraging day myself, but...tommorrow is a new day and one we can look forward to and start fresh.

I have had hamburger. I put it on the foreman grill. Just be careful and not get it too dry. I used angus beef. (protein) and I loved it. I also wanted to eat the whole patty, but I didn't. Saved the other half for the next meal. Have you noticed...... we are cheap to buy groceries for. One meal now makes two. lol I haven't been brave enough to try cornbread. I love that stuff, but since the birthday cake incident, I don't dare try stuff like that again. I thought I was passing away!!! lol And I want broc. and asparagus so bad I can't stand it, but I was told to stay away from that kind of veggies. Booo-Hisss!!!!

Vlynnfogg, best wishes and all the encouragement I can give to your husband. Since I don't know his name..... Go, Mister, Go!! lol

See yall tommorrow....

lisa

I'm scheduled for my pre-op appointment at 10am on April 30th! Maybe I'll see you there Lisa! I have that darned sleep Study tomorrow at St. Michael's and then off I go!

Lisa, you asked on the other thread where I will go to meetings?

I will go to Texarkana starting as soon as the next one comes up. I use the other thread because Dr. H told me to talk patients on both of them so that I can learn more about how PS works,

I'm so excited to get started!

Lo2us, I am excited for you too!! Do you have a surgery date? We are all rootin for you.

Lisa I have had broc. but just the top and it was cooked really tender. Haven't tried asparagus, but when I do it will be the tips. I haven't tried salad yet either, have you? I am just to that week of solids anyway. I am thinking about venturing out with meats soon. Oh, the cornbread I had was in some veggie Soup. I am leary of meat and bread but I will eventually try something. I love wheat bread and I think they said to stick with the grains. I know to stay away from soft rolls and maybe biscuits. I did try a few chips and salsa last night and it was fine. Only ate a few, boy was that hard because that is one of my favorites. Take care.

Hey girls...Reading about all the things you guys are afraid to eat and thinking about the number of times I have already eaten them...didn't have any problems...even with broccoli...like you say, just the tops, but both cooked and raw...make sure you chew, chew, chew really good...BREAD is about the only thing that I cannot have...gives me problems everytime, so I try hard to stay away from it...its not worth even the joy of eating it when it causes me so much pain...till my second fill, though, bread didn't even bother me...Like Lisa said, make sure your hamburger isn't dry...that's what makes it hard to get down...Good luck to you lo2us...hope you get a date soon so you can join us in this adventure...

Will one of you give me the run down on what goes on at the first appointment? I was told talk to the nutrionist, what to expect will be discussed, and a physical. You know, I have a serious case of white coat phobia and I'd like to know more about the physical.

Mrs. Betty came in and made me promise to stay "in the box". I talked with Amy (nut). They made me an appointment for a sleep study. Doc came in and talked with me a little while and that's about it. Just remember, every patient is different. I had most of the criteria that my insurance wanted before I went. I just needed nutritional counseling (?) and a sleep study.

You will be fine. Don't get all up in the air before you get there. They are really cool (everyone) and you don't have to get the phobia. lol

Vlynn.....quit moving that train. I'm never gonna catch you....lol.

I guess yall can tell I feel much better today.

See yall later!

lisa

Lisa, so glad you feel better today!!!!

Lo2us, the physical isn't too much. Dr. K did mine, and also was my surgeon, she listened to my heart, felt of my abdomen, that was about it. The nurse took my BP and pulse. I talked to Amy, the nutritionist, Angie the person that talks about costs, insurance, ect. Ms. Betty came in and talked about the surgery itself and answered any questions you might have. If you set a date for your surgery they will have you read and fill out consent forms for surgery (that part takes a while). Oh, you will weigh in, almost forgot that part. haha. That is basically it. Dr. K did mine and I was very confortable with her. Not that there is anything wrong with Dr. H I think everyone likes him too. I haven't seen him except for the seminar. I guess it's a girl thing, I chose her. When I ask a question(s) she was attentive and seemed genuinely concerned. So relax about that part. They seem to have a wonderful staff. My experience was good. Keep us posted.

Same here on the Initial Visit... I had Dr. H and my husband has Dr.K...L and S are right about every person being different...some things they did with me they didn't do with my husband and vice versa...They did a physical on him where he had to breath into a machine for like 10 min. and it printed a readout of his BMI, FAT%, etc...and the # of calories he needs in order to lose a certain amount a week, etc...they didn't do that with me...He also did the nutritional visit, which didn't take long, because he went with me when I did mine, so they counted that as his, we talked with both Betty and Amy about payment arrangements and responsibilities, the doctor met with us and asked if there were any questions...that was it...Don't worry, you will be well taken care of and very well informed before you leave...I will try to keep from moving my train for awhile...(my son is a TRAIN nut...that is why I have trains)