Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Texarkana Bandsters

Hey yall!! This is my first post on here!! I have sat here tonight for about 3 hours and read all yalls post and all I have to say is WOW!!! Yall are such a strong support group for each other. It looks like each of yall have taken the role as a supporter. Each of yall have had yalls tough times but, when yall do--there is someone to help yall out!!

I found this thread because I am from Louisiana and I am trying to get my Insurance to go through for lapband. My general doctor works hand in hand with several lap band doctors and her first doctor she was going to send me was Dr. Cribbens in Texas. They just seem to be dragging their feet so she is thinking about sending me to either Dr. Hekier or Dr. Keilin. She has already spoken to them and they have promised her that they will get on the ball and get all my insurance stuff sent in veru quickly.

My insurance is through Blue Cross Blue Shield but, I believe it is out of NY because I work for JPMorgan Chase. I hope everything goes smoothly! My main question for yall-- I have read where yall talk about these meetings that yall attend. Are they mandatory or just very helpful? If they are just very helpful, do yall think I will suffer from not being be able to attend those since I live so far away??

I appreciate any of yalls help/advice!!! I really enjoyed reading all of yalls success stories and also readings yalls hard times-- I really think it has helped me realize some of the things I HOPEFULLY will get to face one day very soon. You something have to go through the tough times to get to the VERY awesome times!!!

--Megan--

Hopedtobebanded, hello and welcome. We are all patients of Dr. Hekier or Keilin. The support group meeting are held by their staff in Idabel OK and Texarkana, TX. The meetings are support group meeting. Their staff provides educational materials about nutrition, ect. Advice about what and how to eat, to-dos and not-to-dos. Sometimes we have a guest speaker. Some folks attend regularly and some hit and miss, some never come. I still enjoy them and I have been banded 1 1/2 yrs. If you follow your doctors "band-rules" you should do fine. Precision Surgery (Dr. H and Dr.K) site has information posted on there too. Sometimes about things we go over in a meeting. It is noscales.com. Also you may find a support group close to where you live. Some that live far off come every other month. It is all up to you. If you have any letters to send along from your pcp, or from any doctor that has treated you for co-morbidities, back problems, knees, high blood pressure, diabetes, ect. That may help in the decision on your insurances part to speed them up. Some insurances really drag their feet. Precision Surgery's(PS) staff gets things to them pretty quick, but they have to wait for approval unless you are self pay. I hope everything goes quickly for you. Good luck.

By the way Megan, there is also a Lapband conference in Dallas Oct 3- 5. You can attend all days or just Sat. There is info on this site about it if you want to check it out. I plan on going. You would probably get lots of information if you could attend. Should be fun.

I just had surgery sept 26, by Dr K, still very sore. Not hungry yet, guess still quite swollen. Worried about Protein d/t hair falling out, etc.. Any helpful suggestions much appreciated!!!!!

Welcome skysmom! You will be sore for a little while so don't worry about that. I believe it is about the 4th day or so that you start in with adding Protein to your diet. Your post op directions should tell you. For your benefit, follow them closely. I believe you can get EAS drinks at Walmart 17 grams of protein. Thereare protein tubes at Joe smoothies that have about 46 grams of protein. You only drink half at a time. Your body will only absorb so much at a time anyway. (a.m. & p.m.). Milk (skim) is another source. Sugarfree hot chocolate, ect. if you don't like to drink plain milk. Also you can stay with some Slimfast Optima. As time goes on and your post-op diet increases, eggs, FF/light yogurt, cottage cheese are pretty good sources. I believe there may be a thread somewhere on this sight about nutrition, protien, ect. You can browse through, or use the LBT search. Be sure to take your vitimans too. Come back and ask away if you have any questions, we are all here to help. Welcome to Bandland!

hey glo

joined the wellness center today but i'm very busy this week trying to get ready for a big family reunion this weekend at our family cabin on my moms place. my brother volunteer our place and then told me i had to help so i will be glad when this is over!!!!

i had hoped to see lou at the fair, but i missed her. how are things going for you i see the ticker is ticking right along!!!! don't think i will ever break the 200 barrier!!! i shovelled dirt all weekend and today after work i push mowed my moms big yard and then mowed mine yard so maybe tht will push my ticker down some?????? i hope so. i may try to hit the wellness center at lunch tomorrow and weds. but i have alot to do so i am not sure i will get to go this week, but i intend to go at it next week!!!

i emailed lisa last week and haven't got a reply, she must be really busy i hope i hear from her soon!!!

Hey Hippmom,

I am so happy that you joined. Hope that I will see you there. I'm usually there around 4. I saw Lou Ann last Friday and she has been very busy. I do know that she was at the fair. The ticker is going down slow, but it's moving. It took me a yr to get under 200.

With that much moving around, I'm sure you've lost and some inches. I understand about family reunions, they can be very time consuming. Don't mention the clean-up. LOL

How do you like the center? I want to try the Water aerobics. It's costly for me to come everyday, but I need to do this while it's warm and maybe 3 days a wk when it began to get cold.I sure hope this works.

If you hear from Lisa tell her I said hello.

Take care and hope you have fun this weekend.

Welcome Amberstar,Skymom and Hopetobebanded.

Edited by A lot less

Welcome Skymom!

I have pretty thick hair and noticed about 3 months after surgery, more than the usual strands were falling out. I started adding the whey Protein pwd I get from Dr.K. I add a couple scoops to my warm Cereal, or to my bottles of sugar free koolaid, or to my fat free hot choc. It smells like ice cream and is tasteless. But it leaves me feeling satisfied, and my hair has stopped falling out, just have the normal shedding. Good luck on your new way of life!

Hey Hipmom, Sugarbear, where is this Wellness Center ya'll are talking about?

Welcome Skymom!

I have pretty thick hair and noticed about 3 months after surgery, more than the usual strands were falling out. I started adding the whey Protein pwd I get from Dr.K. I add a couple scoops to my warm cereal, or to my bottles of sugar free koolaid, or to my fat free hot choc. It smells like ice cream and is tasteless. But it leaves me feeling satisfied, and my hair has stopped falling out, just have the normal shedding. Good luck on your new way of life!

Hey Hipmom, Sugarbear, where is this Wellness Center ya'll are talking about?

NewJulie, the wellness center is in Mt. Pleasant, a part of the hospital (Titus). It just opened this month (sept). They have trainers, heated pool and a inside track (it's small, you have to walk it 22 laps for a mile). It's open 7 days a week.

I wish we had a wellness center where I live. I guess the closest thing I could get to that is Texarkana. Just can't afford to run back and forth. I think lo2us said she did Water arobics at the college in Texarkana. Also I believe St. Michaels had a gym that people can join. We'll have to ask her about that to be sure.

Way to go alotless, only 33# to go! MY DREAM!!

I wish we had a wellness center where I live. I guess the closest thing I could get to that is Texarkana. Just can't afford to run back and forth. I think lo2us said she did Water arobics at the college in Texarkana. Also I believe St. Michaels had a gym that people can join. We'll have to ask her about that to be sure.

Way to go alotless, only 33# to go! MY DREAM!!

Thanks, Sugarbear.:mellow:

The center is great. I hate my treadmill at home but, love the one at the center. I guess it's because I have others around me.:cursing:

Alotless, when did you get your band? I have more to lose than you but slooooowly but surely, I'm working on it. I am going to the conference in Dallas this weekend, I think this may be just the pep rally I need. Take care.

Hey yall!! This is my first post on here!! I have sat here tonight for about 3 hours and read all yalls post and all I have to say is WOW!!! Yall are such a strong support group for each other. It looks like each of yall have taken the role as a supporter. Each of yall have had yalls tough times but, when yall do--there is someone to help yall out!!

I found this thread because I am from Louisiana and I am trying to get my Insurance to go through for lapband. My general doctor works hand in hand with several lap band doctors and her first doctor she was going to send me was Dr. Cribbens in Texas. They just seem to be dragging their feet so she is thinking about sending me to either Dr. Hekier or Dr. Keilin. She has already spoken to them and they have promised her that they will get on the ball and get all my insurance stuff sent in veru quickly.

My insurance is through Blue Cross Blue Shield but, I believe it is out of NY because I work for JPMorgan Chase. I hope everything goes smoothly! My main question for yall-- I have read where yall talk about these meetings that yall attend. Are they mandatory or just very helpful? If they are just very helpful, do yall think I will suffer from not being be able to attend those since I live so far away??

I appreciate any of yalls help/advice!!! I really enjoyed reading all of yalls success stories and also readings yalls hard times-- I really think it has helped me realize some of the things I HOPEFULLY will get to face one day very soon. You something have to go through the tough times to get to the VERY awesome times!!!

--Megan--

hi Megan,

i am from Louisiana also. (Simsboro close to Ruston) i was banded by Dr. H August 20th, had my first fill a little over a week ago.

i tried for over a year to get into Shreveport but they kept telling me , we have met our quota for Medicare this month call again next month. so i found Dr. H in Texarkana. the hospital was great and they move on things more quickly.

i wished i could go to some of your meetings but it is a 2 and half hour drive for me.:cursing:

if i can help you in anyway. please feel free.

i am so glad to have found this texarkana thread!

i noticed that alot of you were banded last year, so i guess my slow weight loss is not unusual. that makes me feel better. i stay in the box and drink Protein and add it to oatmeal sometimes but still HUNGRY!

i felt a little uneasy since they can't see to do the fill. i would feel better if Dr. H did it though. i guess i have wondered if they hit it right ever since. ]

it did swell and get really sore but the stick didn't hurt.

thank you all again!

Susan

:cool2:Morn'n Everbody!

Well Sugarbear, conference is almost here! The ONLY way I won't get to attend will be if they decide to put my hubby in the hospital, and I don't think that will happen. I told him if it does, he may just have to settle for the nurses tending to him, I'll be down the street at the conference!:mellow:

To those of you who have asked about attending our meetings;I personally don't think it hurts you to miss them, BUT...there is just something motivating about attending and taking that action is "doing" something positive. I have never left a meeting that I didn't leave with something positive. Sometimes just reading about this is not enough. Hearing and Seeing is proof positive for me. I too have a long drive and put in long hours everyday and I don't make all the meetings, but this thread and the other sites help to fill in the gaps.:cursing: