Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Texarkana Bandsters

lo2us. Well it has been a week today! How is the post-op diet comming? You have done so great so far! Every day just gets better doesn't it? One more week and you will be to mushies! Even though I am a slow loser I love stepping on the scale knowing I will never see that number I had the first time I weighed in. My blood pressure is getting better too. I am hoping to shed my meds for that this year. I have already shed one med I was taking. WOOHOO! Take care, talk to you later.

Now that I'm getting enough Protein I feel great. Still a little sore on my port. My Mom is coming down from VA this Friday to help out for a while and I'm really looking forward to it. My hubby me today he could really tell my stomach has gone down a lot which made me feel good this morning. I'm kind of scared of the mushies, that something might get hung. My doc's appointment is next Thursday so I guess I'll wait until then to try anything. Did you guys just jump right in with mushies 2-3 times a day or did you gradually add them, like a little each day? What should I buy at the store tomorrow to get ready? I'm looking forward to cottage cheese if that counts as a mushie?

How's the fill?

I think the fill is going to be okay. When you get a fill you have to have liquids the rest of that day, and mushies the next. I would have to look on my list, but I don't know if cottage cheese was on there on not. Thicker Soups, yogurts, potato Soup, applesauce, hot cereals, creamed potatoes. Just be sure it can be chewed to a mush, whatever it is. Take small bites and chew well. I have found that about anything goes down well if it is chewed well. The only thing I had trouble with was some grapefruit and it was my fault, didn't chew it well and was in a hurry. One other time I took a BIG bite of something didn't chew well and it was slow to go down. I have never had anything to lodge in my stoma. I told Dr. heiker that and he said that is what they want their patients to be able to do. Some are not honest and get a fill and get too tight. They have trouble with things not going down well. I can eat just about anything as long as I chew it well. He said that was good. I was leary at first too. It's certainly okay to be cautious. This may change at a later time when and if I get tighter but for now I can eat anything. Small amounts at a time is better. I think it tells us that on the sheet we got after surgery. I believe Amy gave me mine at the hospital. I made up thin mashed potatoes and kept them in the fridge. Just scooped out a little at a time. I also ate a lot of soups to start with. I love soup anyway. Check your list it may have some other hints. If you can't find yours I'll dig mine out and send it to you before your week is up. Take care.

lo2us, glad u r doing so well. no, i didn't make the meeting. i had my son. my husband goes to work at 7:30 pm so it is really hard for me to go any where at night without taking my son.

i had my 1st fill a little over a week ago and i can eat about 4 bites of meat at a time and thats all. so i would say it is working. hope it stays like that.

have a great day everyone.

I am having my surgery done ay Texerkana by Dr. Keilin june 20th. I am nervous, scared, happy, excited and hungry. The 2 week diet is no fun! I am counting down the day now and cant wait to count the hours. Glad to see some people on here that use my dr. I go for pre-op stuff tomorrow. I live in south west arkansas, a one hour drive to texerkana.

Priss and Sugarbear,

If all y'all can eat at a time is 4 or 5 bites of meat, do you still have to take in slimfast to get all your Protein? I'm hoping to put that nasty stuff behind me!

Welcome Sunlight, don't worry, it'll all be over with before you know it!

Hi everyone!

Welcome TX Hogwild. What pain? Other than a little pain from the gas that is used in the surgery and a little port discomfort, this surgery is nearly painless. Another site you can visit (if you already haven't) is lapband.com. I think it is the "offical" site for the makers of the band. You can get some information there, but there is nothing like going to a seminar where you can actually see the band and be able to ask any questions. Of course, you can ask us. Don't be shy. We are just one big ole family and support each other anyway we can.

Yes, you can feel the port. After you have lost some weight, it is a little more pronounced, but it's not bad. Or mine isn't. There are "low profile" ports, but I think the docs won't "install" (lol) them until you get to goal. But that's another story.

Are you going to be self pay? If not, be sure to call your insurance company and ask THEIR criteria for approval for this surgery. Some insurance companies require several things. Some require 6 months of doctor supervised diet. Some 12 months. Just be prepared when you go to see the docs. It saves time and frustration.

I get to get a fill Tuesday. I hope this one does the trick. Whoopppie!

Welcome Sunlight. Didn't see your post. I think everyone on this thread uses the same Docs. I think that's why we can support each other like we do. We all have the same "box" rules. YALL STAY IN THE BOX!!! lol If you have questions, ask. Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted, ok.

Welcome Sunlight. Everyone on this thread uses Dr. Heiker and or Keilin. Of course someone might move in from out of town and come to the support meetings and need to join us too. That is how this thread got started. Thought it would be good to have one where everyone was under the same band rules, by the same docs. All your emotions are perfectly normal. I think all banded here would say the same. I'm a little more than 3 months post op. Lo2us is one week post op. Some longer. We are a pretty good mix. Feel free to ask away any questions. I must have ask hundreds of them. Just about wore my group out! haha. Hang ib there with the pre op diet. It is for your saftey and to help the drs. If we can't answer your questions, just call Precision Surgery (PS), Ms. Betty can answer about anything. Take care, have to go now.

Well I guess I'm going to go to the meeting tongiht at 7 to see about all this and try and get an initial appt.

Thank you all for welcome! Betty gave me the diet for after surgery and it look like it will be a while until i eat solid food. She confirmed that i had lost 10 pounds so far. All pre-op test was ok. Boy do they try to scare you with all the bad stuff that can happen. When i was at wadley, in day surgery, it was sureal. I thought this is really going to happen and my life as i know it is about to change for ever. I still have people around me asking if i am sure. And i say yes this is for me and most important for my health. I have 3 kids and 9 grandkids and been married to the same man for 34 years, i still have a lot to live for. Thank you all again very much and i am sure i will have tons of questions.

Hello and welcome to you TX and Sunlight...

I am assuming from one of your posts that you are a man????...my husband had the band surgery April 18th...he began working in December on losing weight when I had my surgery done...since then he has lost about 55 lbs...he really only has about 20 more lbs to go...but he has done great...It has been the best thing he has ever done for himself...(he has been overweight ALL of his life)...Research, ask questions, get information...that is one thing you can do at first...get as much information as you can about what you are going to have done...so that you are comfortable about the procedure...and, us women on here like to talk and answer questions and share experiences, so feel free to ask away...LOL

Sunlight...glad to see you on the road to a NEW YOU!!!!...Don't let anyone discourage you into NOT going through with this...It will be worth every bit...

Lo2us...I am very proud to see you doing so well...Hooray for the weight loss too...don't worry too much about the mushies...they will go down fine and you will learn really quickly what your limits are going to be...just remember to eat SLOWLY and small bites....I DID eat cottage cheese during my mushies stage, 1% Milkfat, small curd...I made sure I mushed it up really good, though...

Lisa and Sugarbear...I see you guys have added more loss to your tickers...HOORAY!!!:rolleyes: SOOOO proud of you guys...I am sorta on a stand still and starting to get a little discouraged...actually I am eating less than I ever have, walking, and all, but just not moving on the scales...maybe it will hit all of a sudden and I will just disappear...LOL

Anyway, no worries, I can be patient...:cry

vylnn, I hope you don't disappear....maybe just blow to the next state. If you start to float, put a rock in your pocket. Hang on to Billy, he might start floating any day now. lol

Sharon, next time we see each other, give me a spanking. I forgot to tell everyone. My little boy has ask Jesus into his heart!!!! He will be baptized on the 24th. Now, I just have to get some of this off. I have to have a new dress. lol Very important occasion, have to have something new. You know how it is.lol So.... I have a short time to do all this. I have been praying for lots of will power and time to exercise more. lol

TX Hogwild, did you go to the seminar last nite? Did you get all your questions answered? Remember, we are just a post away, if you have any more, k?

Sunlight, just a few more days and you will be starting that new life. You can do it. Be determined and it will happen.

Shannon, you get a " you go girl" this morning. Doing great. It will get better when you can have mushies. I was scared too, but they will go down ok. Just remember the box rules and what Dr. H told you.

Yall have a good day!

Lisa, When did you start cutting those pills up and swallowing them instead of crushing? I'm getting sick of crushing my bp pill. Hooray for you and you little one!

Thank you everyone for the kudos! I think I felt my first twinge of hunger last night, but drank some Water and it went away. I'm not sure how I will walk today, I guess I'll do laps in the house.

Don't worry Sunlight, there are people who are a lot weaker than you and me who've had this surgery and done fine. Dr. H. told us at my seminar they had done this on someone with a BMI of 84! I imagine that person wasn't in too good of shape. The nerves and this dang liquid diet are the worst part. Just know that when you get out of surgery, you'll be free of hunger pains for a little while! That's a plus! Aslo, pat yourself on the back for being brave and taking control. I know I've suprised myself by doing this!

My Mom and her buddies from VA will be here tomorrow so I might be out entertaining the next few days if y'all don't see me on. You all hang in there and keep working hard!

lo2us, I think I crushed mine the first week, then started breaking them in half or cutting them smaller. My meds have changed since then and they are so small that I don't even bother cutting them anymore. I do have one capsule that is kinda big, but it hasn't bothered me yet. (knock on wood) And if I really needed to, I could quit taking it. It's only Biotin. I went for a check up today and my PCP told me that if I REALLY tried and exercised every day, lost some more weight, and used my CPAP every nite that I might get to stop taking my blood pressure meds all together. Man, that's something to shoot for. My meds are very low dose anyway from the way he talks. So, I have another goal to work for. Plus, If I lose enough, I will probably get to stop using the "the monster beside my bed" machine. lol Before I gained all this blubber, I didn't snore at all, so that is another goal to shoot for. Goals, goals, goals. We all need goals. That's 3 for me today. How many do yall have???