Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Go into this with your eyes WIDE open

Before my sleeve I would read every post I could, thinking I wanted to be well informed.

There are some ppl who just fly through this surgery perfectly.

Then there are those like me. I knew I was a high risk but ignored it. My surgery was on Jan 22nd, woke up in ICU, had to return cause drain area got infected. I went to a University hospital, had a very good surgeon and medical team, it just happened.

I'm saying all this cause things can go wrong, not everyone soars through with flying colors. I'm 3 weeks out and really not happy with my decision to get this done.

My hubby asked why I did it in the first place. Well, I lost 40lbs pre op, I wanted to use a plan that I could keep the weight off, my diabetes was so bad I was on a 5 times concentrated insulin, and I was the fattest girl in the room. Just for starters.

When you ask about recovery time, some will say 3 days, or longer. Some had super experiences some not so super.

When you ask about pain, some will say, no pain, some a lot of pain.

You can't put us all in a nice tidy folder and say this is how it is for everyone. We're all different and react differently.

So prepare for the worst and be blessed with the best. Have a good relationship with your surgeon and medical team. But don't think it's gonna be pain and complication free, I sure hope it is for you, just be prepared.

And keep your eyes wide open! Best of blessings to you and your journey!

Thank you for this. I think that with all the awesome results you see from people on here it's "easy" to forget that this is in fact a life changing surgery! It's SURGERY! There are hundreds of things that could go wrong at any time for any reason. It's nice to have a reality check every once in a while.

I hope that someday you will not regret your decision and that you continue to lose with no more complications. Good luck!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

-Kendra

Thanks MrsGina for your post. I read lots of posts to get a feeling for what to expect, but I still went in with blinders on. Hoping that I'd be one of those that breezed through surgery and recovery.

I didn't have any complications, but I wasn't prepared for the pain I had for the 7 days post-op. My pain meds didn't do a thing to relieve what I was feeling.

But I'd still do it all over again, as long as I didn't know what kind of pain was coming my way. :P

Very true, there are many different outcomes. For that reason, I'm so thankful I had a resource like this forum to read them all prior to surgery. I felt I was well informed, even about the possible complications. Thank you for sharing, It is a very good reminder not to compare ourselves to others - pre or post surgery. We can follow our plans and hope for the best. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope the worst is behind you.

Thank you for sharing your story. Sorry you had to deal with the not so nice complications of the surgery. On a positive note, hopefully you are free from insulin.

How is your diabetes MrsGina? I'm on the same insulin... I haven't got my date yet, but i do keep wrestling with the decision... I'm doing this for diabetes mainly as my BMI ranges between 34 and 36... If it doesn't improve my diabetes i will certainly be disappointed with my decision...

Jeremy

How is your diabetes MrsGina? I'm on the same insulin... I haven't got my date yet' date=' but i do keep wrestling with the decision... I'm doing this for diabetes mainly as my BMI ranges between 34 and 36... If it doesn't improve my diabetes i will certainly be disappointed with my decision...

Jeremy[/quote']

Hi Jeremy, I was a type 2 Diabetic. I was also injecting myself with 5 Insulin shots a day. My surgery was on January 16th and I haven't had to inject one Insulin shot since that day. Thank God.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope you're doing well now and that one day this becomes a great decision that you made.

Before my sleeve I would read every post I could' date=' thinking I wanted to be well informed.

There are some ppl who just fly through this surgery perfectly.

Then there are those like me. I knew I was a high risk but ignored it. My surgery was on Jan 22nd, woke up in ICU, had to return cause drain area got infected. I went to a University hospital, had a very good surgeon and medical team, it just happened.

I'm saying all this cause things can go wrong, not everyone soars through with flying colors. I'm 3 weeks out and really not happy with my decision to get this done.

My hubby asked why I did it in the first place. Well, I lost 40lbs pre op, I wanted to use a plan that I could keep the weight off, my diabetes was so bad I was on a 5 times concentrated insulin, and I was the fattest girl in the room. Just for starters.

When you ask about recovery time, some will say 3 days, or longer. Some had super experiences some not so super.

When you ask about pain, some will say, no pain, some a lot of pain.

You can't put us all in a nice tidy folder and say this is how it is for everyone. We're all different and react differently.

So prepare for the worst and be blessed with the best. Have a good relationship with your surgeon and medical team. But don't think it's gonna be pain and complication free, I sure hope it is for you, just be prepared.

And keep your eyes wide open! Best of blessings to you and your journey!

[/quote']

I appreciate you sharing your story and I hope you recover well and have success.

You mentioned you were high risk going in. May I ask why?

Amanda Rae

How is your diabetes MrsGina? I'm on the same insulin... I haven't got my date yet, but i do keep wrestling with the decision... I'm doing this for diabetes mainly as my BMI ranges between 34 and 36... If it doesn't improve my diabetes i will certainly be disappointed with my decision...

Jeremy

They started me on Lantus again and humlog u100, have an endo appt Thursday well see.

I appreciate you sharing your story and I hope you recover well and have success.

You mentioned you were high risk going in. May I ask why?

Amanda Rae

I had 80% of my pancreas, all spleen, and gall bladder removed in 1993. Multiple surgeries and major scar tissue.

I had 80% of my pancreas' date=' all spleen, and gall bladder removed in 1993. Multiple surgeries and major scar tissue.[/quote']

Thank you for sharing.

Amanda Rae