Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depressed BEFORE surgery

My surgery is in about 2 weeks and while I was excited when I got my date (2/26), today I've been depressed and am already mourning the way I've been living with regards to food. I can't stop thinking about all of the foods that will soon be on the Do Not Eat list. I'm still going through with it but today has just been tough.

Honey, it's going to be ok! Going without those foods is only for a little while...

And besides what have those foods done for you?

I found that before I had surgery that the one time I ate something I would miss (ice cream)

Was.... Well I don't know how to say it. I bought the ice cream came home and ate it, and afterwards nothing...

It was just gone and gave me nothing no lasting love no magic...nothing.

I know how tough it is, but you need to be strong for the surgery...there is always a story popping up on here after surgery where someone ate something post-op too soon and were afraid they caused a leak. I can honestly say that my tastebuds have changed....you just dont even think about the food you once loved after awhile. And if you do taste it...ie: ice cream, it is good, but for me, it tastes SOOOO rich. Like, I could eat a few tsps and it seems like I just ate a HUGE bowl! I am so sorry you are having a hard day, I had a few of those myself. Experience it , then move forward and surround yourself with tons of support to get you through the next few months :) All the best to you

My surgery is in about 2 weeks and while I was excited when I got my date (2/26)' date=' today I've been depressed and am already mourning the way I've been living with regards to food. I can't stop thinking about all of the foods that will soon be on the Do Not Eat list. I'm still going through with it but today has just been tough.[/quote']

Don't be so hard on yourself. You've made a decision that a lot of people can't afford let alone get themselves together to do. Congratulations for choosing a better way of life. Thinking about what foods not to eat is better than thinking of the different medical conditions you would continue to have if you didn't do this. The best of luck to you and to the loved ones that support you.

Thank you SO much for all of your posts. I'm feeling a little more "together" this morning. Laura, you are right! What have those foods done for me except for a SHORT pick me up at times. I really do like changing things in my life but how I eat is how I've always eaten. It's the one thing that's been a constant in my life. It's time to change even that now.

I feel a little bad about whining when there are others who are going through much more difficult situations. So, with all your help, I'm out of that "funk". I really appreciate you all!!!!

Reading this helped me. I'm on day 6 of my liquid diet & I'm finding it so hard. I'm so down because I don't want to be around anyone eating or even see food. & then I start to think about some of the foods I love that I won't be able to touch post op. These two weeks feel like forever & I'm glad I found this website. It helps somewhat to know that I'm not alone having these feelings before surgery.

I think we are of the few very lucky people that are able to do this for ourselves!

Think of all the people out there that are obese and do not for whatever reason have the chance to do this...

You can do it!!

Thanks Laura-ven : )

Thanks again, Laura. I'm feeling a bit better today. I have some great friends that I usually go to Breakfast or lunch with. They are now finding things for us to do together that doesn't center around food. That made me feel loved. Your support means the world to me too. You eating pizza also gave me hope that I'm not saying goodbye to my favorite foods, just "see yo later" and not that much :)

That's so good to hear about your friends! So great of them to get it! And yes that damn pizza went down fine:p

I am here fur you! but I also know you are going to do great!!