Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi i did my surgery 5 days ago!

i had my surgery monday - today is friday and i still cant walk as good as i used to (i will be bending my self while walking) im still having burning when ever i walk and when ever i drink something my stomach keeps hurting me in weird way for a minute then it all go back to normal .. when i sip again iwould have the same problem.

now is this normal? or not?

also, i am starting to feel that i wanna eat a big meal junks or what ever i used to like pre op.

is that normal???

I am on 9 days post op for my surgery it does take time when you're taking steps your stomach will stop hurting just give yourself a little bit of time I'm at the stage now I'm ready to eat everything just hang in there and be strong

All normal. I went through all the same things.. except wanting to eat a big meal. I guess mentally I might have wanted to, but physically I didn't want it and knew I couldn't do it. I guess that is head hunger. I had a little of it right after surgery but it went away pretty quickly. But, all the other things you mentioned, yes. At 5 days after surgery, that is all normal.

Good news is.. I am a little over 2 weeks out and now I feel back to normal. My incisions are only a tiny bit sore. I can walk normally and my stomach doesn't feel weird when I swallow anymore.

I had my surgery Monday, too. I am not having any trouble walking, but I am having some spasms. I understand that the esophagus will do that. It is not unbearably painful, but I am hoping it will stop soon. I cannot say that I am hungry, but I am already totally bored with the Protein Shake. I want to chew something and have been thinking fondly of crackers. Since I still have 10 days to go on limited liquids, I just tell myself to suck it up and think about how much weight I am losing.

I had my gastric sleeve done on Tuesday! Each day gets better. I still have a drain in and they are removing that on Tuesday. I also had a hiatal hernia repair. Looking forward to communicating on here and learning from people that have had this done. I am so looking forward to the new me, I want to do everything possible to have the most success!!

new me how was the pain. I have a huge hiatal hernia and my surgeon warned me the pain will be bad in the shoulders. Is that true for you?

I feel the pain in the shoulders is due to the co2 gas that is used to inflate your abdomen during the surgery. At the end of the procedure if they do not let enough of it out, it is trapped in your belly. Your body will get rid of it but when you sit up the gas travels upward and thus you have pain in your shoulders. I had shoulder pain for 2 days. I have only a moment of it now. The shoulder pain has pretty much gone away. I did have pain in my lower sternum, the area where your chest meets your abdomen, I think that pain is from the hiatal hernia repair. I have been managing that with a liquid pain med and it is resolving also. So far each day is getting easier.

Today Today is day 4 and the pain from both are much much less. So glad I had both done.

i have to say the first few days are roughest, and it will get better with time. It took me a few weeks, but by about week 6 I started to feel closer to normal. For me, my brain somehow knew my body couldn't handle any food and very little liquid, so I didn't want it, but that's not the case for everyone. It will get better, hang in there!

I had my gastric sleeve done on Tuesday! Each day gets better. I still have a drain in and they are removing that on Tuesday. I also had a hiatal hernia repair. Looking forward to communicating on here and learning from people that have had this done. I am so looking forward to the new me' date=' I want to do everything possible to have the most success!![/quote']

I'm scheduled for surgery Wednesday and am also having a hietal hernia repair. Am curious how the double procedure recovery is different. Will be glad to be done with the daily heartburn!!

I am 10 days out. I used no pain killers once leaving hospital after 1.5 days and was sleeping on my side on night 4. I did not even know i had a hiatal hernia or that my doc had fixed it ubtil i went back for my first preop on day 5!

@deannagail- I think it is better to have both procedures done at the same time. Rather than go thru that type of surgery twice. I am sure everyone is different but the recovery should be almost the same for both procedures with just pain possibly at the lower chest from the hernia repair. I do believe they want to know if you are having hiccups during recovery, because those are not good and they want to know right away(recurrent hiccups). I recommend having both done together.