Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introduction to the Forum

Hi,

I am Living in Alaska ,Originally from Louisiana and made the final decision to have the Sleeve two days ago. I met a person here that just had it done a few months agao and he looks so good and healthy

. I am so happy to have found this forum

I am an LPN and have been over weight my whole life ,since 16 and I'm just so tired of fighting . I have lost and gained the same 60 and 70 lbs over and over . I thought had it licked until I blew out my knee 8 years ago and here we go again... now a hundred pounds later I need to do something.

Anyhow , I don't post a whole lot but you can bet I'll be misspelling words so please be kind :)

I have not figured out money or made a choice in surgeons yet but I figure 4 to 6 months out I will be getting it done. I can't go the insurance route because My Doctors all say I'm too 'healthy" what ? I weigh 263 and am 5'3" , How can I be too healthy ?

I work away from home so I haven't spoken to my husand yet.

Now telling my Mom and sister that will either be a week/day before the actual surgery takes place hahaha. Since i'm from Louisiana ,you know they will have some strong opinions. I brought up WLS a couple of years ago and they were not very supportive .

Anyhow just getting in my intro.

I misspell a lot of words so please be kind

Amy

Welcome!!! Congratulations on your decision to have surgery. Keep us posted on your progress!!

WVbuslover,

Welcome!!

Louisiana to Alaska, what a switch! :D

I lived in Lafayette, La. for a couple years, in Florida now. Never been to Alaska but have friends there.

Make yourself at home!

Hi and welcome. I think you're making the right decision to not say anything until close to surgery. You don't need others swaying your decison. I don't plan on tell anyone until after the surgery. I don't want to hear there opinions/criticism. My husband is supportive and my kids understand my decision. Those are the real opinions that count to me.

Good luck with your journey!

Hi!

I am just waiting now on insurance approval. I am so nervous because this all hinges on getting approved. Good luck in your journey. I am not telling anyone in my family until the day I find out when surgery is scheduled. Drama for me in Tennessee too! Hang in there! :ph34r:

My name is Doreen and I just had the sleeve done 2/5/13 (3 days ago) I found this website a few days before my surgery. I am 47 and have been battling my weight for so long. I also am an operating room nurse so I was watching this procedure being done and then a couple friends had surgery and they look wonderful. I met with the surgeon January 2012 and started learning about the options I had and meetings with dietician and counseling. It took me a year to get ready for this mostly because I work 2 jobs and put everyone else first. I work a lot of call and finally I stopped and said enough. I am going to do this for me! Well it has been 3 days since my surgery and that first night after I was scared. Worried about what I had done, each day gets better than the last. I feel good about this. I am nervous but I know with proper planning I can have great success. I look forward to this new journey.

Hi Doreen, you sound just like me. I too am a nurse and of course your entire family expects you to take care of them too so you never have time to care for yourself. I'm 5 days post op and on day 2 post op as I was taking my 2 am stroll of the hospital halls I broke down in tears wondering what the heck did I just do? I couldn't believe I let someone take out most of my perfectly healthy stomach!!!! That lasted all of 10 minutes and then I was fine! Since then I have been excited, motivated, and POSITIVE I did the right thing. Even my husband told me last night how incredibly proud he is of me and how courageous I am and that meant everything in the world to me. We are going to be some super hot and healthy nurses rockin those hospitals now!!! Congrats and stay in touch. I'm addicted to this website. ❤❤❤❤

Thanks, I am excited too!! I really like this website, I am learning a lot!