Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my surgery Date - December bandster

I will be having my surgery on Friday, December 22nd! :)

Now I just have to tell my family. They won't be nearly as happy to hear this as all of you will be. I'm excited, but nervous too. So much for Christmas dinner... hehe. Turkey broth it is!! :hungry:

Congrats!!! I'm a few days after you, Dec 27th. Just think by next christmas you will be feeling better and looking good!

I think it should be! We all need to encourage and support each other until the big day arrives. :-)

I know I broke it to my family a few hours ago, and needless to say... they did not look happy about it. They begruggingly wrote down the date and said no more about it.

So, I definitley would like to see what all my December guys and girls are doing to keep their focus and keep their spirits up.

Congrats! December 18th here....My family is all very concerned how its going to affect their Christmas plans. I think its perfect timing since I'll have plenty of family around to hlep out with my very active kidlings!!!:biggrin1:

I broke it to my family last night. They seemed none to happy to hear that my plans acutally had a DATE. They asked two questions. "Are you sure?" and "Can you change your mind?"

Everyone looked down and avoided eye contact and hoped that I would change my mind between now and then.

The date was begrudgingly recorded on the calendar and nothing more was said.

They all think it is a bad time for me to do this, but I know its right.

When is the "right" time? I don't think there is such a thing. For me waiting for the "right" time is just putting it off.

What better Christmas gift to give myself?

A new beginning.

beversman, you are absolutely right!! Great attitude. i'm not understanding how our families don't get it! i know they love us and are worried, but come on, being FAT has so many risks as well, maybe even more. this is going to change our lives. I want it done yesterday!

Hi everyone! I'm scheduled for Dec. 11th I'm soooooo excited! I'm not telling "everyone" but my family is happy for me, my daughters are real excited about me having it done. I've got 3 kids, a son - 21, 2 daughters 16 & 20 and the girls and I love to shop BUT I hardly ever buy anything for myself because I hate being fat, and I keep saying when I lose the weight.... you all know what I'm talking about? Now when we shop my girls say mom, you are going to look so hot when you lose weight, I think they will keep me stylish. LOL anyway, my birthday is in Feb. and I always get the end of winter sales - so I'm hoping by Feb. I'll be needing some new clothes.

Congrats to all of you getting your date for surgery. Mine is December 12th. I am excited and nervous and very lucky to have family support. I know they worry but want me to be healthy. I go today for my last meeting with the nutritionist to tell me what to eat prior to surgery and postoperatively. I have a stress test on the 20th and meet with the Nurse Practitioner and then Surgeon on 11/27. :)

Lets keep this thread going and help each other along the road to health and success.

Ok guys i have a dilemma, should i tell my dad about the surgery now or wait until it gets closer. My date is dec. 27th. I'm 19 and i live at home. Lately my dad has really been getting on me about my weight so i want to shoot back at him that i am having the surgery, but i don't because i don't want it to be a defencsive response. My mom, brother and sister know about the surgery and support me. I am holding off telling my dad because he is such a big mouth. i am afraid that if i tell him the whole world will find out. So should i tell him now to get him off by back about my weight or should i tell him closer to the date in a hopes that he will not talk so much?

Here was my rationale

Will it be any easier to tell him a month from now?

Or will it just be MORE uncomfortable because he will know you've been evading the issue for the last month?<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

In my case, I figured the longer I waited to tell the family... The more hurt and unsupportive they would be. They would think it was an irrational choice that I was rushing into... instead of seeing it was something I was set on and determined to do.<O:p</O:p

I told them yesterday (the day I found out my surgery date) because I think they will respect me more for being honest and hopefully, it would make them more confident to see that I was 100% dedicated to this.<O:p</O:p

If I wasn’t afraid to tell, then (to me) that shows my confidence that I know I’ve made the right decision.<O:p</O:p

People are going to figure it out sooner or later. If you KNOW this is what you’re going to do, I think it is easier to just tell them. If they aren't happy about it now, I guarantee they won't be happy to find out in a month (when you having surgery in a week).<O:p</O:p

You might as well just let him know so he can get used to the idea.<O:p</O:p

I’ve found waiting to tell people something (especially parents) usually back-fires.<O:p</O:p

But, ultimately, the decision is up to you. J<O:p</O:p

beversman you brought up some good points. I'm not afraid to tell because i think its a bad decison, but because i do not want him to tell the whole world. I know it is the right decison but i also think it is the right decison not to let the whole world know about it. To me there are some things that people do not need to know about, and i believe the band is one of them. But i think i will tell him sooner than later because i do not want him to feel hurt. i just hopes he takes it ok, he is very against the bypass but i don't think he has ever heard of this. ok now i'm rambling, thanks for giving me a new persepctive. I'll let you guys know how he responds.