Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cleared for weight lifting

OK guys and gals...I got the go ahead yesterday for strength training. Prior, I loved to lift and powerlifted years ago. I'm not dreaming about deadlifting a few hundred pounds right now, but would like some input from sleevers who weight lifted prior to surgery and where they started at when they were able to resume post op. High reps with light weights.....heavier weights low reps....little bit of both? I'm more concerned about maintaining (or dare I dream gaining) muscle mass than losing the fat right now....the latter will come in time as a pleasant side effect of the sleeve and weight training (yes, some cardio/yoga too ;)). Maintaining a positive nitrogen balance after being sleeved will be tough, but I'm hopeful. Thanks all.

I was in the weight room twice a week, but was forced to quit with issues I had with L4/L5 in my spine. Had 2 surgeries and am 4 weeks out from my last one, so I will be started physical therapy soon.

Buuuut ... when I was in there, it was to mitigate the muscle mass loss due the the whole weight loss thing. I was losing muscle quickly as my weight dropped. I was exercising like crazy running up to 30 miles a week and doing HIIT classes, so I was fast approaching goal, but at the expense of some muscle. It is one of my goals, though, as soon as I get through PT to get back in the weight room and get some muscle back.

Buuuut ... when I was doing it, I focused on increasing my weight to build muscle, since I was losing it.

Do a search for member AroundhKY content. He is a lifter and a great member here.

Hey thanks for the props "PdxMan"! "Matthew"....what you've heard about me is true....I do lift. Lifting has pretty much always been an addiction for me. But do I lift sensibly? Probably not. I have two huge scars on my arms (torn biceps) and some scars on my left shoulder (impingement/bone spurs) to prove my lack of sensibility. :huh: Since sleeve surgery however, I've been a LITTLE more wise about the lifting, especially in the few months immediately following my VSG.

With all that's going on in your lower torso from your surgery, you really want to make sure to ease back into it and err on the side of caution. You'll want those abs to heal back and with almost all compound lifts, you'll use those abs, at least for support. As far as starting out, I went for the very low weight, low reps option the first two weeks back in the gym. Then I stuck with the low weight and increased my reps for another 2-3 weeks or so. At that point, I gradually increased the weight with low reps, then added in higher reps a few weeks later going to failure for the first time. I'll tell you that I was VERY weak and going to failure at that point was what I used to warm up with. It can be very humbling, but just progress slowly, be patient and make sure you get your technique/form back down. Like you'll hear on this board a lot in regards to weight loss...."It's not a sprint, it's a marathon"...or something to that affect. It's better to get to your former strength late, than not make it at all due to injury. I was deadlifting around 450 pounds about a month before my sleeve surgery. Around 5+ months after surgery, I was back to that same deadlift and have since then passed my old max. So it can be done, but with our limited calories, it takes some well-timed meals (complex carbs w/high protein), and being ever-mindful of our eating and training. I also do cardio 1-2 times a week. A lot of it depends on your lifting goals I guess, but I'll be glad to give you more details on my experience if you wish. I'd also like some feedback and tips as you progress through getting your strength back. I'd be interested in hearing what works for you or what doesn't. Take care and look forward to hearing back from you!

Thanks for the input. I use free weights at home....I'm going to stay away from the plates and bar to be on the side and stick to dumb bells...hopefully, engage a bit of my core to stabilize. I am concerned too about my abs....and not in the narcissistic sense. I've got a roman chair/dip/chin station I may attempt...we'll see how it goes. At first I'm contemplating basically upper/lower body super sets with dumbbells 3 days a week and yoga the other 3 days to maintain flexibility. Perhaps ab/lowback/balance work on lift days too. I'm like you....tend to hit things a bit too hard at times. I'll post my routine and let you all know how I do (strengths and weaknesses...lol) I appreciate the help. Thanks again.

No problem and wish you the best!