Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters

thanks Karen It does do u think what I am eating is alot just kind of wondering

BK I don't know. Do you have an eating plan? I couldn't function without mine to guide me. I think it's not so much what you list is how much of that you are eating.

I mentioned a website earlier...one of the two given to me by my surgeon. I went to look it up. It's brilliant and covers everything you need to know. I printed it out and put it in my surgery pack with my other stuff. It gives you a diet from banding onwards. It tells you how much to eat and what not to eat, as well as what portions and consistency. It tells you foods to avoid because the band cannot cope with them. It tells you what to do when or if you get food stuck in the stoma. It's brilliant. With the stuff my surgeon gave me and that I feel completely supported and not out on a limb. More importantly I don't feel hungry or deprived or faint. My energy levels and recovery are 100%.

The link to the site for you and anyone else that wants it [for those of you who seem to have been told to do liquids and then mushies without any guide as to what and when] this is going to save you from worrying:

http://www.bospa.org/Information.aspx?Page=20

Hugs....

You're all terrific people...

Karen

BK I don't know. Do you have an eating plan? I couldn't function without mine to guide me. I think it's not so much what you list is how much of that you are eating.

I mentioned a website earlier...one of the two given to me by my surgeon. I went to look it up. It's brilliant and covers everything you need to know. I printed it out and put it in my surgery pack with my other stuff. It gives you a diet from banding onwards. It tells you how much to eat and what not to eat, as well as what portions and consistency. It tells you foods to avoid because the band cannot cope with them. It tells you what to do when or if you get food stuck in the stoma. It's brilliant. With the stuff my surgeon gave me and that I feel completely supported and not out on a limb. More importantly I don't feel hungry or deprived or faint. My energy levels and recovery are 100%.

The link to the site for you and anyone else that wants it [for those of you who seem to have been told to do liquids and then mushies without any guide as to what and when] this is going to save you from worrying:

http://www.bospa.org/Information.aspx?Page=20

Hugs....

You're all terrific people...

Karen

Hi Karen!

I had a question about something I read in the article. I am going to copy the section below:

Stuck in your stomach

If you have not followed your eating plan rules, you may get a piece of food stuck in your stoma which can be quite uncomfortable. The first advice is not to panic about it, as most times it will eventually dislodge again on its own accord. To help move the food item on, try taking tiny sips of a hot drink over a period of an hour. Some people recommend that this is the one occasion that coke is good to drink as the bubbles encourage your stomach to distend and dislodge the blockage. If 24hrs has gone by and you still have something stuck and nothing else is going down (or its coming straight back up) you need to attend your hospital for a temporary de-fill of your band to ease the problem.

What does anyone think of the advice? It sounds like it would be a good thing to do, but I haven't heard anyone else on this board say anything about sipping Hot drinks or drinking soda during a time when food is stuck. Do they mean during a time you fell like PBing? I did notice it is a British board. Would British and American/Mexican doctors differ so much in advice?

Thanks, I am just really curious if anyone has used this advice or if they just let the food come out on its own.

Audree

Hi Karen!

I had a question about something I read in the article. I am going to copy the section below:

Stuck in your stomach

If you have not followed your eating plan rules, you may get a piece of food stuck in your stoma which can be quite uncomfortable. The first advice is not to panic about it, as most times it will eventually dislodge again on its own accord. To help move the food item on, try taking tiny sips of a hot drink over a period of an hour. Some people recommend that this is the one occasion that coke is good to drink as the bubbles encourage your stomach to distend and dislodge the blockage. If 24hrs has gone by and you still have something stuck and nothing else is going down (or its coming straight back up) you need to attend your hospital for a temporary de-fill of your band to ease the problem.

What does anyone think of the advice? It sounds like it would be a good thing to do, but I haven't heard anyone else on this board say anything about sipping hot drinks or drinking soda during a time when food is stuck. Do they mean during a time you fell like PBing? I did notice it is a British board. Would British and American/Mexican doctors differ so much in advice?

Thanks, I am just really curious if anyone has used this advice or if they just let the food come out on its own.

Audree

Audree..

Surgeons are surgeons..lapbands are lapbands..humans are humans..doesn't matter where we live. The only thing I will add is that in the USA surgeons are paranoid about being sued by their patients so they may be more cautious.

However I saw US site and I am going to include that here..but I wanted to share this because it suggests that the US prescribed after band diet is very much the same as the UK one..

"Let us go back to the beginning. Immediately after surgery you will feel restriction. The surgeon usually doesn’t put any Fluid in your band during the surgery. The restriction you feel is the swelling of your stomach and it’s adjustment to the band that has suddenly been wrapped around it. You won’t get your first fill until 4-6 weeks after surgery.

You will be on Clear Liquids and they will fill you up quickly for the first few days. Then they will stop filling you up you will begin to feel hungry. About this time you will be allowed to eat mushy foods like mashed potatoes, creamy Soups, etc. You will find that you eat just a few bites and you are full. This is great! Who knew a ¼ can of Soup would be enough? This is going to be a piece of cake.

It isn’t going to last. Shortly this won’t satisfy and you will be moving on to solid food. That feeling of restriction comes back. A slice of turkey and you are stuffed!

This doesn’t last either. At about 4 weeks, sometimes earlier, you will start to feel hunger again. You feel like you are eating everything. Your weight loss has slowed or stopped. You start to freak out. “Where is my restriction?!” you cry."

OK so that is the exact eating programme I am on...so UK or USA doesn't make any difference.

By the way, I'm a journalist so one of the things I do is a massive amount of research on anything..and medical research is a particular interest of mine. I read and read and then make up my mind..but you start to see consistencies and that guides you.

Before I left hospital I was given an implant registration document...an implant card to carry around in case anything happens to me to inform doctors what I have had..what I can eat etc...and I was given a needle to carry around in case I need an emergency unfill. Did you all get that?

At least with the guides we know what to do when things go wrong and not to panic and in particular I think our families need to know. I've given a copy of the information to my daughter because otherwise they wont know we might have problems and if so what to do when that occurs. I think it's so remote frankly but they do need to know. I chew and chew my food and I read at least 10 chews up to 24 with meat...so I do that.

The site for you to also look at is:

http://www.lapbandlifestyle.com/Pages/LapBandLifestyleRulesroad.shtml

The other thing I do is go down the boards and look at those who had their bandings in June/July to see how they went..what problems they had etc etc. Interesting reading.

Karen

I almost fell off the liquid diet wagon today. I wanted to move to mushies so badly. However, I've been able to hang in there.

I do worry I am eating too much though. 1 cup of Soup at each meal isn't doing it for me, but then what I'm eating is too much probably because I feel that old full feeling.

Any advice, suggestions, or words of encouragement?

KarenAR - excuse me but you are really getting on my nerves - your bragging of how wonderful your diet is, how easy its been for you, and how stupid our doctors in the states are, is really irritating. Before I left hospital I was given an implant registration document...an implant card to carry around in case anything happens to me to inform doctors what I have had..what I can eat etc...and I was given a needle to carry around in case I need an emergency unfill. Did you all get that?

No, I didn't get all that but I trust my doctor to not over fill me too! I have no intentions of carrying a needle around in case I need an unfill - good griet that sounds absurb to me! The banded card is good and many doctors do give those out but I would think that any ER could do an emergency unfill and I wouldn't have to carry my own needle with me.

My point is with the "did you get all that?" was like a child saying my doctors better then your doctor!

Do you honestly expect the newly banded members to stop listening to their doctors and start following your advice. Come on - please don't post like that, its very condenscending in tone. We've been on here trying to encourage each other and every time I read your posts it makes me want to shut my computer off. I for one will continue to follow my doctors orders and diet and I will encourage everyone else to do so also. I'm sorry if I came off as rude but I'm just telling it like it is.

To everyone else I apologize for my bluntness and I may be the only one here who was offended so I don't presume to speak for anyone else.

BK - you are doing fine with what you are eating. I feel like its just a matter of healing. Sweethot - you and B-man too - the restriction is great while it lasts but now that the swelling has gone down the food is going on down too. I had a hard time with the liquids that last week, I felt like I was drinking something every hour and only felt "full" for a few minutes then it would pass on down. I've been eating almost exactly the same as all of you and I really don't think its too much. I had my doubts but then when I started comparing my plate this year to what it was like last MONTH - big difference. I'm sure we may all stall until we get our first fill but then we'll start losing again. I for one can't wait to get a fill! I liked the restriction that I had and will welcome it back - sad thing is I won't get a fill for about 3 weeks.

Mypov - you go girl! I know how wonderful it feels to get a nsv! I have put on 2 shirts that had been too tight and now fit - its great! I've lost about 16 lbs and I really didn't think it would show but suprise! it does! I kept saying I'll probably have to lose 40 lbs before anyone notices but I've had several people comment that I look like I've lost. Keep up the good work and you'll be wearing an 8 before you know it!

Hello fellow bandsters hope all had a wonderful Christmas. Tonight I got the best present ever. My daughter bought me a new out fit and I have went from a tight 24 to a loose 20. I never thought I would be excited about a size 20 but it sure feels good to say it. It has only been 22 days since I was banded. I am also feeling hungry and think it maybe time for a fill. I have an appt on the 9th of Jan so we will see. Can anyone feel there port. I can feel mine and thought it was interesting. I guess its the nurse in me that would think of that. My scars are healing great but they are still a litle sensitive but not enough to take pain meds for. Well I just wanted to share my news with everyone.

WTG Carol! thats a NSV if I ever heard one!! And what a sweet daughter too!

I can feel my port if I press down on my stomach - I just did it and it felt a little sore - I guess I won't press down on it again. :)

Good evening everyone.

I swore I was going to bed early tonight, yet here I am... :)

Is everyone getting hungry? I am doing okay. I sure am counting down until my surgeon lets me transition to mushies(16 days). BTW, my surgeon is highly regarded and his fellows are Harvard Medical Grads so I plan to follow the advice he has set forth to a "t" regardless of how quickly others are transitioning. Right or wrong, I trust that he has reasons for setting my plan up the way he has. I have the utmost faith in him. I ama nursing student and not even slightly afraid of needles, but I cannot imagine toting my own syringe around for emergency unfills. That seems really strange to me.

Anywhoo...weighed in @ WW today and I am down 28 pounds (10 since surgery). Yay. I feel great. My appetite is definitely increasing but still controllable with my liquids and creamy Soups. I made a really yummy potato corn chowder that was low enough in fat and I blended it in my blender. It was very savory and I cooked up 2 slices of bacon to add to the Soup prior to blending which gave a nice flavor. With the3/4 cup serving, it wasvery reasonable in calories and I felt like I had a treat. I am thinking of trying black bean Soup next. I will be the mext soup nazi.."no soup for you!".

Was Nathalie going away for the holidays? I am getting concerned.

B-man..you still kicking @ss and taking names? You really sound like youa re doing great!

Steph-love you girl..enough said!

BKwalling-you are doing great. Keep doing whatyou are doing girl.

Carol-so glad to hear from you and glad to see you are doing well.

Big hugs to all the DecemberBandsters.

My weightloss has slowed down, but I am going to give it time... i guess that is all that I can do... I am not eating anything... so i dont know how I couldn't be losing. 1 lb since surgery :-) oh well...

I just want the holidays to pass. They are not a good time for me this year. If I wasnt so focused on this, I just dont know what I'd do.

I still feel great. My bruises are starting to fade to a funky color and go away.

I wish I could work out.

KarenAR - excuse me but you are really getting on my nerves - your bragging of how wonderful your diet is, how easy its been for you, and how stupid our doctors in the states are, is really irritating. Before I left hospital I was given an implant registration document...an implant card to carry around in case anything happens to me to inform doctors what I have had..what I can eat etc...and I was given a needle to carry around in case I need an emergency unfill. Did you all get that?

No, I didn't get all that but I trust my doctor to not over fill me too! I have no intentions of carrying a needle around in case I need an unfill - good griet that sounds absurb to me! The banded card is good and many doctors do give those out but I would think that any ER could do an emergency unfill and I wouldn't have to carry my own needle with me.

My point is with the "did you get all that?" was like a child saying my doctors better then your doctor!

Do you honestly expect the newly banded members to stop listening to their doctors and start following your advice. Come on - please don't post like that, its very condenscending in tone. We've been on here trying to encourage each other and every time I read your posts it makes me want to shut my computer off. I for one will continue to follow my doctors orders and diet and I will encourage everyone else to do so also. I'm sorry if I came off as rude but I'm just telling it like it is.

To everyone else I apologize for my bluntness and I may be the only one here who was offended so I don't presume to speak for anyone else.

Actually Steph....

Sorry I'm getting on your nerves. I didn't say american surgeons are stupid, I know quite a few and respect them but my comment was based on what they say to me rather than my opinion of them. it related to some not giving full details of what to eat rather than anything to do with their expertise as surgeons. As to the comments I made other than that. Sorry if my feeling well and enjoying my post banding diet annoys you somehow. I am expressing how happy I am to be doing so well and others need to see that some of us are. I had a dread of what it might be like before. I read similar comments on many of the other threads by people. I am only responding to those who are asking about the mushies stage...which since I am one of the only ones here who is on that stage I am trying to give help about..ok? I also gave websites and suggested someone talk to their surgeon. People have to do what they think best but if they ask a question they are clearly unsure.

This isn't a competition...it's support and advice. If you think it's condescending to be open and to share, that is your interpretation and not my intention. If someone asks a question if I can help I shall while I am around. Some seem to have been given far less advice and help than others. If they weren't in need of information from others they wouldn't ask. You are clearly doing well on the advice your surgeon gave to you.

My comment about what I was given when people left hospital was followed by a question not a judgement and I can't see how you interpretted it that way. If you read what you wrote you just said the UK surgeons I had were idiots for giving me a needle in case I got into problems ..presumably these needles are special ones and EMTs or similar may not have them to hand. Did it occur to you that I might be surprised to have been given one and wanted to know if others had been too? I have seen other postings asking whether the lapbands set off metal detectors at airports etc etc. This is a forum where we share what we know and have been told..isn't it? I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I can't help that but I will continue to help others. Feel free to ignore me but why ask others to agree with you? I still wish you very well and hope you do well.

I was banded on 12/21...I am 5'0 and 207 pounds with high blood pressure. I am looking forward to losing the weight and being a healthier and happier person..my goal is 130 and i'm looking forward to share my journey with my fellow bandsters

Hi All! It sounds like everyone is doing fine!

KarenAR - I will say ok, I may have interpted your posts wrong - and drop it at that. I go in to my ddr tomorrow and will ask him about the needle thing, just to hear his opinion.

B-man - we all went up about 5 lbs that first week of surgery - You'll go weigh youself one day and go OMGoodness I'm down 5 lbs. You are doing great!

Kay - the Soup sounded great! My fav while on the liquid was homemade potato soup and I blended it so it was thick and good. I wouldn't worry much about the calories if you added it up throughout the day I'm sure its still under 1000. I didn't think of the bean soup until a couple days before mushies and wish I had earlier. Beans are full of Protein and mushed up in soup makes it thicker, it stayed with me longer then the brothy type Soups. The LF yogurt smoothies also stuck with me a little longer. The Protein shakes gagged me by then. I still have a drawer in my fridge full and I don't even want to look at it, those and sf Jello - the last couple days the only way I could eat the sf Jello was with Free Cool whip - it has 15 calories per serving - so that "dessert" was only 25 calories - and do you know there is FF half & half? It makes the creamy soups good. BTW - 28 pounds - woohoo - gold star for Kay! thats wonderful! No wonder b-i-l was commenting on your good looks. :)

Jannmack - welcome! How are you doing since the band? Feeling good?

Is everyone back to work since the holidays? I wonder if Nat got sent out of town. She had said about spending Christmas with her baby boy, I don't know if she had other family coming in or if she was going somewhere. But she does travel with her job - right?

NAT - shout out for NAT!!!