Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters

Howdy, Y'all! I am hoping to have my surgery within the next 3 weeks and would like to join this group! I am so excited that I could bust! I really feel like this surgery is going to jumpstart a new beginning for me. I am 34 years old and need to lose around 65 pounds, maybe a little more, my BMI is 36.8. I am paying for the surgery myself and am praying that I don't have any complications because I sure won't be able to afford them! I started my 2 week liquid pre-op diet last Friday and am finding it difficult to follow! I am including creamed Soups though, so that has helped some but am open to any suggestions! Congrats to everyone and good luck as we begin this fabulous journey!

Mary

Sweet -hot , I don't understand your signature here - did you start at 240 and you are now 180? It looks as if you've lost 60lbs and only need to lose 40 more.

December 4th, 2006:nervous

Frankfurt, Germany

Dr. Weiner

240/180/140...hopefully

I'm sorry to hear about your postponed date - that stinks.

I started my pre-op diet today - 2 weeks of it! Ugh! My dr has me on a 300 calorie meal a day with 2 - 200 cal. Protein drinks. Thats 700 calories a day - for 2 weeks!!! Which is better then the liquid only - and worse then the one week to 10 days like I thought I'd be doing.

So today I went to work and drank coffee until noon - ran home and had a slimfast shake and shopped all afternoon - at 4:30 I was starved and needed food so I ate my 300 cal. frozen dinner and by 6:00 I was ready to eat again ... but I only had another shake left on the menu. So I whipped that up - since then I've eaten about 5 dorito's and a rice cake. I need prayer - this is really hard for me to do. I have no will power.

I have devised this shake - I took slimfast and poured it into an ice tray, froze it all day - then I took half of the cubes and 1 cup skim milk and a scoop of Protein powder and blended it - it was really good, like a milk shake. I froze some strawberry tonight so I'll try that tomorrow. Its not the flavor that I'm having a problem with its the not eating FOOD!

I don't have it on my signature but I'm 5'2" and 226. My first goal is 150 - my ultimate goal is 120 but I'm not sure if its realistic.

StephC - you better rely on your driver to get you through the liquid phase. ;) I hear the first 3 days are the most difficult. I start mine officially on Friday, and I'm grateful. I'll do my hardest days at home. I'm going to keep drinking Water and Water and water in hopes of making it. Even when I'd do my fruit fasts or my juice fasts, the hardest part (not eating) wasn't so hard after 3 or 4 days. Hang tough girlie girl!

I love the idea of freezing some of that slim fast shake and using it to blend into another Protein shake. I tried mixing a scoop of Protein Powder in my oatmeal and it was so so so so so so nasty I couldn't do it. I had to dump a bunch of sugar free Syrup on it to make it palatable.

Today I ate under 1000 calories. I failed to exercise though. I'll be up and at 'em again tomorrow. My plan is to get up at 5am to work out. I'm also going to call on Jesus for strength. It's easy to say "I'll get up at 5" but at 5 it ain't so hard to roll my carcas out of bed!

My surgery is 12/14, 2 days after you. Stay strong and keep your eyes on the prize, StephC!

Nathalie

KayDotRN i see that you are getting banded at BIMDC. I am getting banded at brigham and womens. Are you from MA? I'm from Boston. Goodluck with your surgery and i'm sure you pre op dieting will pay off.

Hi Ariel,

yes, I am from Boston too. I have not told anyone about the surgery except my husband, sister, mom and 1 of my kids. I would love to chat privately. Send me a message if you would like!

~kay

I am amazed at all of you doing liquid diets. I enderstand the Doctor's orders of course..it just seems so tough without having the notion that there is a band in there that needs healing. I am prepared to do liquids after surgery and I know in my head I need to for healing reasons, but I wonder how well I would do at liquids before. It seems so tortuous. I guess we should be able to do anything for a couple of weeks. My doctor is thinking about implementing liquids pre-surgery but as of yet, he has not. I have been on WW for about a month, since one of my consultations and have lost the required 10 pounds and am hoping to lose another 8 to 10 before surgery. I am following his 30 minutes of exercise a day rule and 5 of the days I am doing at least 45 to 60 minutes of cardio. But the liquids thing I think would push me over the edge. Maybe I just have the wrong attitude. I wish you all the best of luck and success. Hang in there! I am sure you will do great.

~Kay

stephC

Oh how I wish that my signature was my current stat! No, that is my dream stat. I am now at 240 and after surgery hope to be at 180 in the middle and by the end of 1 -1 1/2 years hope to be 140. So i guess that signature is my goal signature, lol. Last year at this time I was 185!! I wish I could go back in time and stop the weight gain.

Just an FYI for you, maybe try another type of shake slim fast is very very unhealthy. Last week i bought two cases without reading the ingredients and it is full of sugar and hydrogenated oil, and high fructose corn Syrup. Maybe try a healthfood store for something that will work with your body.

Keep up the hard work on the liquid diet, I keep starting one, even though the dr. hasn't said to do one, but after reading on here how many people do it, I figure it will give me a jump start. I can't even make it through an entire day!! I'm starving!

good morning my fellow December Bandsters!

You're all so sweet and encouraging! ;)

This pre-op diet is the worst but I'm hanging in there and I'm relying on my Driver ;) - actually the last diet I did was the Weigh Down - and I feel that it makes the most sense - eat only when hungry and stop when satisfied - not stuffed - God made all these delicious foods not for our torture but for our enjoyment and we just need to use moderation - which is where HE steps in. All of which I believe totally but Lord knows when it comes to food its my downfall. I think the band is the tool that I need for moderation and I also believe that He gave man the wisdom to develop this tool.

Enough preaching this beautiful morning - so its 10:30 and I haven't had a shake yet - I'm trying to wait until I really feel hunger. Lets face it 2 shakes and 1 meal isn't a whole lota satisfaction! :hungry: My dr gave me a list of shakes.

Optifast

Resourse Optisouce

Atkins

Carb Solutions

Resourse shake

Boost high Protein

Ensure

Glucerna

SlimFast

or I can make my own with whey Protein - all are better if mixed 3oz with 1 oz skim milk - less cal. He also gave me a list of sample meals all should be in the 300 -350 cal. range. So even tho I strayed a little last night with the rice cake and doritos I think I was still good. After re-reading my paper he gave me I'm thinking maybe its more like 900 cal/day if thats the case and I may be able to squeeze in a couple rice cakes a day. I think I'll call the dr.

Welcome Phyllis & Mary! :welcome:

Sweethot - thats too cute! Its good to set goals.

welcome to the december bandsters gonnalose. I think we all are feeling the same thing, excited/scared/nervous, all those emotions as well as STARVING if you are on the liquid diet. I am on day 9 of the pre diet and doing okay, ive had a few "emergencies" as my dietician puts it that required some chicken or maybe a cookie but otherwise okay. I have also quite smoking....today is day 22. I guess I am gluton for punishment, or maybe just stupid. Quiting all addictions at the same time has been difficult but if I can do this I can do anything and this time next year I will be healthy for the first time in my adult life (thank god we cant drink during the preop stage or I may be alcoholic by now, lol) Everyone in my family is excited for me except for the one (my mother) she is scared but optimistic at the same time. I wish you good luck and keep us all posted on your progress.

I have seen on other threads where the members keep a running tally of the participants wl thus far, this would be cool, like a cumm. total. not sure how that is accomplished if anyone has any suggestions/ideas let me know . i think we need to have a moderator to do it but dont know how to get one.

Sweethot....that is such a drag!!!! I hope you get a date soon....let us know! Hope everybody had a good thanksgiving...I think I am having a bit of the I have got to get it all in before I start my pre op diet on Dec 8th! I am trying to just remind myself that in the future I can have anything I want just in small amounts....well....except for bread and pasta.....my mom gave me this really sad look and said; "you can never have bread again? really?"

I had my surgery on November 15, 2006, however, I had lost 6 lbs two weeks before eating from the book "Body for Life" that my doctor gave me. It was alot of food and tasted great and really wasn't any different than I had been cooking before just used different substitutions. It has grocery list, meals. It is great.

I don't need to do a post op diet, they didn't tell me to. But, I guess it would be a good idea, get used to not eating as much. Mel, who wrote the book Body for Life. I need something to go by. My age is bothering me, but the Dr. didn't seem concerned.

Sorry, the name of the book is Eating for Life, by Bill Phillips.

www.eatingforlife.com

It is a wonderful book and has been so great. I encourage everyone to get it and read it and use the receipes in the back. I have tried most all of the receipes and they are all great. My eating plan is based on this book which was given to me by my doctor. My doctor encourages 120grams of Protein a day. I eat 3 meals a day. 7:30am Breakfast, 10am Protein shake, 12:30 lunch, 2:30 pure Protein Bar - Sams' Club, 6pm dinner and 8:30 snack. All from the book.

Good Luck

I haven't had too bad of a day today - I've been busy and that kept my mind off of food. I devised another shake - I took half of a strawberry slimfast and 1/4 cup of skim milk, tsp of splenda and a handful of frozen berries. I blended it all together and it was good, kinda like a sorbet. I have one more to drink yet tonight and I was thinking about using some frozen berries, diet lemon lime soda, a scoop of vanilla whey Protein - LOL I feel like a mad scientist - sounds kinda mad too - oh my ... I'm only on day 2 of the pre-op diet! yikes! My blender hasn't seen this much use since my neice was here making margaritas!