Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When do I feel restriction?

I am 12 days postop. Feel great. I am a band revision. Have been able to drink normal since day one. When will I feel restriction and how and where do you feel it?

You won't feel total restriction until you move to firm solids. When you move to soft foods, you will feel better (a greater sense of fullness) but firm Protein sends the signal loud and clear, and you will know, my friend, what restriction feels like. As soon as you sense fullness at this stage, stop eating. If you continue you will quickly move to a VERY uncomfortable feeling. I get a hiccup or two when I am reaching fullness. Eat slowly or this sensation will happen so fast you won't know what hit ya!!

I agree. Once I started more regular foods (4 wks out), I began to feel the "full sensation". It is hard to explain it, not painful, but uncomfortable. As soon as I feel it, I stop eating and I have never had an issue with throwing up. Sometimes I also feel it if I drink too much too fast. I find if I do feel uncomfortable, walking around helps a lot.

Working you way to satiety is different with the sleeve. Not sure how to exactly explain it but when our full stomach is intact and we eat to fullness, those feel good sensations come upon us and provide a kind of "food high". With the sleeve, you get full so fast that you don't get that elongated period to reach that content feeling. You begin to eat for the nutrition and less for "that feeling" but physically you will get full. It takes time to wrap your head around this and then slow down your eating enough to regulate how you will feel.

liquids quickly move through the pyloric valve at the base of the stomach. Solids make the pyloric valve shut so that digestive juices can do their job as stomach contents need to be liquified to move down into the intestines. That is why you don't feel restriction, the liquid or sludge just keeps on moving, but solids shut the valve and pressure begins to build as solids fill the sleeve. I saw a great video on this digestive process that was so educational.

Thank you all for that info I was wondering the same stuff.

Me too, I'm just in the full liquid stage, but I'm afraid of overdoing it!

I had sugery 10 months ago in April 2012. Best thing I ever did for myself.

More info...when you eat solids to fullness stop there. If you add a beverage at this point it opens the valve at your esophagus and your stomach needs pressure for digestion, so it not only thwarts digestion, it sort of bubbles up in your throat, hence the slimes...you try and try to swallow it down (mucus) but it keeps working its way up.

If you just stop at the first feeling of fullness you will be fine and after 30 minutes you can tolerate a beverage.

I almost have it down to an art now, but once in awhile I break the rules and it never fails, sometimes it makes me have to vomit because the pressure is uncomfortable.

I know to stop eating when I start getting hiccups - I guess the stomach gets full very fast and then that stimulates the diaphragm. Now I totally get the term slider foods - stuff that is liquidy goes down so easily, but Protein fills me up almost immediately - like a chicken breast or a piece of beef.

I have always been a fast eater but I've had to learn to slow it down because you've got to give yourself enough time to get the "full" feeling because if you go much past that, you are going to feel like throwing up if you much past that.

You very quickly learn almost by instinct how much food you can handle before you reach that point - the sleeve "trains" you very quickly! I used to get that terrible "overstuffed" feeling with every meal, but now at 5 weeks out, I think I e got it down.

I know to stop eating when I start getting hiccups - I guess the stomach gets full very fast and then that stimulates the diaphragm. Now I totally get the term slider foods - stuff that is liquidy goes down so easily' date=' but Protein fills me up almost immediately - like a chicken breast or a piece of beef.

I have always been a fast eater but I've had to learn to slow it down because you've got to give yourself enough time to get the "full" feeling because if you go much past that, you are going to feel like throwing up if you much past that.

You very quickly learn almost by instinct how much food you can handle before you reach that point - the sleeve "trains" you very quickly! I used to get that terrible "overstuffed" feeling with every meal, but now at 5 weeks out, I think I e got it down.[/quote']

Totally agree! I don't hiccup but if I eat too fast I get the bubble effect & stop immediately. Never any slime though. You learn to chew your food slowly and take breaks between bites. It's automatic training I say!!

Sent from my iPad using VST

I am 5 1/2 wks out from surgery and wondering how much in ounces I should be eating at this point? I am on pretty much regular foods right now such as chicken, fish, baked pork chop, cooked vegetables. I have heard 4 oz but not sure if that is right. I eat 3 meals, 1 snack and a Protein Shake each day.

4 ounces is about right. At 4-6 months you may be able to handle 6 oz then at a year and beyond 8 oz