Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has the lapband changed your life in the way you thought it would?

Hello, everyone...I really need some serious imput on this one...I am due to have surgery one week from tomorrow on 11/20...And I have been extremely emotional to which I am sure is very normal but what keep going through my mind is am I really going to be happy after lapband...I mean my weight effects so many different parts of my life, mainly because I let it, but it still does and I think that if I am successful with the weight loss I will be happy and can do all the things I want and will be healthy and feel better but I just want opinions from others..Did the lapband change your life in the ways you thought it would...Or was it better or worse....Please feel free to get into detail, I know everyone is differnt but I just would like a glimpse of what could possibly be lying ahead for me...Thanks

There are so many different facets of the question you ask. The reason you became fat, why you stayed fat, why you struggled against yourself to lose weight.

These were things I had to consider before deciding on surgery. The lapband does not magically make your relationship with your family better, improve your marriage or advance your career. Whatever niggly little psychological things that have been part of your life will still be there when they wheel you out of the recovery room.

Diets didn't work for me long-term because I sabotaged myself. It worked for me to remain fat, it gave me excuses and it was where my head was most comfortable. food was anesthesia and probably my best friend. It's taken me close to 50 years and a lot of in-depth contemplation to be able to say that.

Why the lapband now? Again, 50 years of being fat and full of excuses was enough. I was tired of how my life was going and ready to make permanent changes. For me, my life started improving the day I decided to persue the lapband, before I lost even one pound. It starts in your head, your attitude, the reawakening or discovering of dreams and goals. The realization that this armour of protection, this fat body, is not needed. I am now living, rather than existing.

Thanks for your reply...Yes, I know the physchological stuff doesnt go away and you have to do that on your own...I have just admitted out loud that I have a problem a year ago and have been in therapy..I am glad I realized it when I am young enough but I just meant like things in general I guess. Like for example I will not do outdoor activites that I would like, I dont socialize, I dont date, I wont go back to school or get a better job due to lack of confidence....I was wondering if anything was easier to do like you thought it would be before surgery....Or not, thanks agaiin

The band changed my life for the better. I always knew I was missing out on things because of my weight. But I never knew how much it would make my life easier and a lot happier. I always said I felt like a prisoner in my own body and now I feel comfortable in my own skin. I no longer hold my head down when I go somewhere. I can move and walk around without getting out of breath or having to take breaks. I could go on and on. But it has changed me for the better and it has made my relationships a lot better because I am happy with myself and that reflects on my marriage and other areas. Lets face it if your not happy with yourself your not going to be very happy in your relationships. This is just my opinion. Good luck to you. Im sure you will love it to.

Life eating wise is better than I thought it would be. I havent had to make really enormous changes, but I ate OK before I was banded, just too much. So I eat a totally normal diet now, just less food.

However, I will say that my weight loss has stalled. I'm no longer obese and I'm only a few kilograms over the top of my healthy weight range, but I'm still 13kg from where I'd really really like to be and its staring me in the face - it is going to be necessary to DIET to get the rest of that weight off.

I never thought I'd be be able to run 10kms again in my life and I know now that in another year or so I'll be doing my first half marathon, at the ripe old age of 40.

Losing weight hasnt changed me life that much though, it was good before and its just as good now, but its nice not to be burdened by the worry of getting fatter and fatter with each passing year.

With the lap band I hoped I could keep the weight off for good the queen of yo yo dieting also I hated the hungry feeling when on a diet it was pure torture never full and thinking what your next meal would be you would literally starve yourself lose weight then gain and back and more it was a viscous cycle that needed to be stopped for good after 29 years of it it grows weary.

Whilst the band has definitely changed my life for the better, it has also made me realize that all my problems don't just derive from being overweight. I was like so many others in thinking that when I lose weight, I'd be able to do this, that and the other... for me, it just didn't happen that way. When I could no longer hide behind the food, it made it really hard to find somewhere to run when things got rough. Its something I've worked with a therapist on, as well as started taking Zoloft for. Both have helped immensely.

All that said, my health is so much better. On the average day, I feel great! And even though I've had my ups and downs on this journey, I'm proud of myself. Its not easy .. you have to work for it and for me, this site is a very instrumental key to success. I need the accountability and the people who aren't afraid to tell me to get my arse back on the wagon lol.

Good luck in your journey. You'll do fine :) Just remember that when you need to talk, we're all here!

The band has definitely changed my life. It also likely lengthened it! I no longer take any prescription drugs, for highblood pressure or diabetes issues. My knees and back don't ache. I play with my grandkids, I take them outside to DO things, rather than hang out on the sofa, and watch TV. I have started going to Curves, and actually working out some, to better myself. I began a Tai Chi class, something I never would have done 70 pounds ago. Not simply from embarassment over my size, but also the energy it takes to physically DO the class, is something I just didn't have.

My marriage was very happy before, but this has enhanced it in many ways. I feel like doing things, that before I would have preferred not to do. I am less self conscious about my weight, so our sex life has improved!! I have energy!!! I don't find simple cleaning and cooking to be as draining as I did before. Now whether all of that is strictly due to the band, and the weightloss, or whether some of it is emotional, just feeling better about me, I don't know...or care...it works!!!

I am more outgoing, I don't feel ashamed to be introduced to my DH's co-workers (my issues, not his). I don't feel like everyone is watching every bite I take wondering why I am eating that. I can shop in Misses clothing stores...not only Plus sized ones. I can sit in chairs,and climb on ladders, both of which I used to exceed the weight limit on.

It has improved my life in multitudes of ways. The not being hungry has been such a wonderful benefit. Not wondering what my next meal will be before I even finish the one I am eating. Not worrying if I will be hungry...there is always something I can take a bite or 2 of, and satisfy myself.

I see the pride mixed with relief in my parents, and my childrens faces. I know they worried about me--now they don't so much...so it has helped their lives too!!

I would do this again in a heartbeat!!!

The other thing it has done...addicted me to these support people!!!

Good Luck in your surgery, I hope it and your recovery go smoothly!

Kat

I just wanted to give a thank you to everyone who has replied to my posting...You guys have exceeded my expectations in what I was going to hear from people....And KAT, thank you for sharing your story, it made me cry, but I am very very emotional these days...I guess that is normal...I am really looking forward to being me, the me that has been trapped for so so long....1 week from tomorrow cannot come fast enough, thanks everyone, you are all wonderful people....

The lapband has changed my life the way I had hoped it would. I am pretty early out of surgery, 3 1/2 months, but so far, for the first time in my life I feel hope. I have lost dread. I dreaded each and every time I began a program, knowing I would fail along with 95% + of others who start a weight loss program only to fail.

So for that reason alone, I can't tell you how thankful I am that this was available to me.

My attitude with regards to weight is finally in a positive and hopeful state.

My life is so much BETTER minus 60 lbs. I haave more energy, my BP is normal, no more edema! I would do this again in a heartbeat. It is beyond words to look and feel "normal" again.

Oh my, has it EVER changed my world. I know I won't get through this without crying because the changes have meant so much to me. Prior to getting my band, I had managed to diet myself up to 360 pounds. My knees had begun hurting, my back was rebelling, and I'd gained a lovely cpap machine to help me breathe at night. I was pretty lucky that those were my only medical issues.

I was taking antidepressants, but they were unable to take the reality out of my existence. I was avoiding outings with my family pretending I didn't want to go or coming up with excuses to keep them from fully knowing how unable to keep up with them I had become. How I wanted to go to a concert or Disneyland or to the beach! After awhile, I began to close those experiences out of my list of possibilities for the future. So, the larger I got, the smaller my world became.

Some of those walls closed in because of my lost ability to haul around my own body, but even more closed in due to my intense protection of my family. I didn't want to embarass them. All it took was a time or two of not fitting into seats, to have to be moved to a handicapped section, and to know my loved ones had done nothing to deserve that embarassment. They never complained. They loved me. They worried. They tried to encourage me, but I had hit a place where I knew I couldn't afford to diet one more time. My body couldn't hold one more extra pound from the regaining phase. I was locked up afraid to go any higher.

Sometimes, I would look at my beautiful children and wonder if they would have been better off without me. It was my love for them that pulled me through when I thought I couldn't go another day carrying that weight.

Three months ago, I got my band and changed my life. I've really worked with the band to be darn successful, and I've lost 74 pounds. I'm not apologetic anymore about that success because I've earned it through putting together every working aspect of all of those diets from the past to make it work.

And how my life has changed.

Last night, I took the first long, hot bubble bath I've had in a couple of years. I used to love a long, hot bath and found them to be so relaxing. All of a sudden, it occurred to me that maybe I could get in and out of the tub again. It was the BEST bubble bath of my life.

I can buy clothes in plus size shops again. I had gotten to the point that all my clothes had to come from catalogs. THAT was a plus.

I can keep up now. I can go with my family now, and I don't need excuses anymore even though I'm still a big girl with a lot of weight to lose. Imagine how much energy I have after losing the equivalent of 7 1/2 ten pound sacks of potatoes!

Mostly, I see me emerging from the heavy face that used to stare back at me from the mirror. I see my hopes and dreams opening up. Possibilities are opening up that I had closed off years ago.

Has the band changed my life?

Yes, it has.

I love it because the band keeps me from eating too much. Finally I won't be going off my diet when I reach my goal. I THINK I will have to make sure that I get enough calories to maintain my goal. Isn't that a WONDERFUL problem!! I'm very aware of what I put in my body now. I don't want the little food space for the day filled up with junk.

Best wishes.

edie

The quality of my life is better. Much better. The problems I had before the band have not changed. If being overweight is your only problem you're in good shape.

I wouldnt change a thing but I have issues tha this cant fix as I'm sure we all have. Peace and happiness to you!