Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

letter from the minister of health about the lab band

Good Luck with your fight. I find it unimaginable that the minister would suggest that you should pursue a much more invasive and dangerous surgery!!! The gall!!!!

Anything to help people get off the list for diabetes, heart disease, asthma, depression, high blood pressure, etc......in the remaining years of there lives, therefore being less taxing on the health care system, SHOULD BE COVERED!!!!! It's sucks, it's stupid, and I'm sure it's a bunch of skinny people making the rules!!!!!!!! That's what I think.:)

It shows overall ignorance of the procedure and what it involves. I applaud New Brunswick!

Alberta is cover right??? im going to try to do as much home work as i can on the surgery and the bypass and bring him all i get, im sure its not going to do anything but i need to try.

Yeah... tell the people in Alberta who got it for free, that!

Andree, IS there anyone in the Yukon doing the bypass? Or would you have to go somewhere such as Alberta?

If there's no one in the Yukon, you'd be looking at a 5-7 yr wait for the bypass... if there is a dr. in the Yukon, his wait is probably almost as long!

I'm not saying that you should get a bypass, but once you find out if there is a bypass Dr. in the Yukon (or anywhere up that north), you can then reply to the health minister, telling him that you don't want to drain their health system for 5-7 (or whatever) many more years, while you gain more and more weight, and develop more and more health problems.

If I were you I would submit a letter of appeal to Yukon. In it I would stress that New Brunswick does recognize and cover this procedure. But first I would get in touch with Dr Joffe at the TLBC about your problem. It seems that he is working hard to get the Province of Ontario to recognize the lapband. It would likely be in his interests to help you with your fight with the Yukon for if you are successful in getting the Yukon to recognize the validity of this surgery then that improves his chances with Ontario. He could provide you with all the medical data proving that this procedure is healthier and less invasive and yet just as effective as a weight loss method. You will need his technical data in order to back up your appeal.

I would write him a letter that goes something like this:

Dear Dr. Joffe,

I am writing to you in the hope of receiving your assistance. I have heard that you are currently engaged in discussions to have the Ontario Health Insurance Plan recognise the validity of Lapband surgery. It is my understanding that as of this time only the Province of New Brunswick will cover the surgery. I live in the Yukon and I have been refused coverage but I am currently appealing this decision.

It occurs to me that you might be able to provide me with medical data that would back up my claim that Lapband surgery is as effective as other weight loss surgery methods and yet less invasive and thus a healthier option for the patient. Of course, if my appeal is successful, you will be able to advise the Province of Ontario that another Canadian jurisdiction now recognises the validity of this procedure.

Thank you for any assistance that you may be able to provide.

Yours truly,

Anyhow, that's just my suggestion.

I'm wondering if the increasing interest in the band has now taken it off of coverage in Alberta. Less than a month ago I asked Dr. Mitchell about it and at that time it was covered though there is a waiting list....but maybe that has changed now. Good luck in your fight.....:clap2:

thanks guys, well i didn't really like the way tlbc wouldn't help with a letter so my husband could withdraw his rsp they told me no, but Dr. Cobourn was so nice he even call me him self and email me wow what a great guy sorry but i would like to get him some business.

Andree

Just to clear up some things about whether the procedure is covered in Alberta. It is if you are one of the lucky people who gets in. In 2006, the Calgary Health Region was limited to 25 people. If you did not live in that region or were not one of those 25, you were out of luck. So yes, it is covered if you are in Alberta, but only for those 25 people, and if you had it done out of province, you only get about $1000 back of the total amount that you pay.

There are other doctors doing lap banding in the province, and they are not limited, but the wait list is about 2-3 years. My surgeon has said they are working on getting more people done in 2007, but they have to have approval for funding. The 25 people that were done are part of a study to see if the cost of getting the band improves people's health and in the long run will be less of a cost on health care than if the procedure was not done.

Having been self-pay in Mexico, I am trying to figure out how to get back into the health care system and have some of my on-going fills and visits covered by AB now.

Julie C

Nov 6/06

Dr. Ortiz, Mexico

Andree - could you give me an update on your 'fight' with the system? I live in Whitehorse and phoned the Health Dept. a few weeks ago to inquire re funding etc and altho the answer was still no, she did say that she was getting alot of inquiries. Maybe if we all banded together (what a pun!!), we could get something happening!! For now, I'm waiting for my passport and then will go to Mexico to get it done.

Lynn

hi there Yukon do we know eachother??? i work at extra foods

anyways im still waiting for a letter from the health minister my doctor sent this letter to the health care i will type it out

I am writing on behalf of Mr. andree Richards who suffers significant health issues because of her morbid obesity. I have therefore recommended bariatric lap band surgery to treat this condition as it is causing her to suffer from chronic back pain and painful knees, and she is at high risk of eventually developing osteoarthritis, hypertension and heart disease. the surgery certainly will improve her quality of life and reduce her risk of future medical complications as a result of her morbid obesity. I have seen several patients who have benefitted from this surgery. It presently not covered by private or public health care in canada and the cost is approximately $16000.00. i believe there is coverage for other types of bariatric surgery and i therefore believe that this procedure which might be one of the preferred types of bariatric surgery should be covered.

from my doctor

anyways so im hoping the health care sistem is going to help me out

if you want to talk i can send u my number

andree

oh I forgot to say i am waiting for the answer from health care and if the answer is no then i will be taking all my paper work to the obisman i have already call them but they need the answer to my doctors letter.

I did think about going to Mexico but i cant do that Im going to go to Mississauga with Dr colourn. http://www.obesitysurgery.ca/

do u know who is going to do your fills for you???

andree

got this today from health care the answer to my doctors letter

You have recently written requesting approval fro bariatric lap band surgery to treat morbid obesity in the above noted patient. Your letter also indicates that this type of bariatric surgery which in your view might be one of the preferred types, is not covered by private or public health care in Canada and has an approximate cost of $16,000.

I have taken the opportunity to review this matter with Yukon;s medical advisor Dr Tom orr who in turn has consulted with his provincial Canadian colleagues. Alberta is insuring both the surgery and the band which is provided by the health authorities. Quebec is insuring the service however it is less certain whether the provincial facilities approve the device British Columbia does not insure this procedure, in part as hospitals are not providing the adjustable band. In short the Canadian approach to this procedure is varied at the moment. Dr Orr has also noted that he is unaware of any large studies wherein bariatric lap band surgery has been compared with other bariatric surgery.

There are publicly funded alternatives available for the treatment of morbid obesity in Canada Dr. orr has recommended should you still feel surgery is recommended for this patient that conventional surgery at a publicly funded facility be examined. Your request to cover bariatric lap band surgery for this patient has respectfully been declined.