Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone, I am new here, I just wanted to say hi. I have been looking into some type of bariatric surgery for awhile now about 2 years or so, but i have only been looking into the lap band for a few months. I am only 20 years old, but i weigh about 306 im 5'7 and my BMI is 48 i believe. Im not sure where to go, what to do, or what exactly the first step is. I am absolutely terrified to do the surgery, but i think its what i need to do. I think i will feel better and look better. I live in Michigan, so if anyone could recommend someone in michigan i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks all, and Happy Banding!

~hotpink~

Hey hotpink bubbles welcome to LBT. We are kinda in the same boat, i'm 19 and weigh about 250. I have decided to get banded as it is less drastic than the bypass. I figure if this band dosen't work i can always have the bypass later. Start by doing a ton of reserch. Look into what area hospitals do the surgeries and what the requirements are. Some hosp. for example only operate on 21+. many of the hospitals have a seminar requirment before you can see the doctor. Also find out if your insurance will cover the procedure. Check out obesityhelp.com they have a hospital review section that i found really helpful. Goodluck with your journey!!

Welcome Hotpink!!!!!!

You might want to also try the USA regional threads here. I'm sure they have Michigan information.

Hey bubbles - Welcome to LBT. You've made the first step towards a better life for yourself. I'm sure there are some other Michigan folks here that could help you find a good, qualified surgeon.

A few things to consider - do you have insurance, or will you be self pay? Do you have any co-morbidities (other health problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes, etc?) These things can help with approval for insurance.

You'll find plenty of support here. These folks have helped me immensely! Good luck in your journey :)

Hey all, thank you SO much for the replies. I have checked out the Michigan section, not too many post in there. I have recently had a reccommendation for a surgeon. My fathers boss has had the LAP band procedure done, and she highly recommended her surgeon, so i am going to call and check that out. I also do have insurance, and i do have high blood pressure, so i think things look good. Though i am terrified about the risks with the surgery and slippage and eroding, i am extremely excited to talk to someone and get the ball rolling. Thank you again so so so so so much for all your responses. If i am able to get this done, i will be coming to this site A LOT for support, and from the posts ive read i know you all will be great. I look forward to hopefully *crosses fingers* jumping on the bandwagon with all of you! Thanks guys, and anything else you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. Talk to you all later, and happy banding! :)

~hotpink~