Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea H-E-double hockey sticks

I have such severe nausea that even Water, ice, or G2 makes me sick to my stomach. It's horrible because I get about 4-8 oz of liquids a day and zero Protein. I just cannot stomach any Protein shakes. I've been to the ER twice for dehydration/nausea, and will surely go again soon. I am 23 days post-op. I could give a rats patootie about the weight loss at this point. Of course I'm losing weight because I'm literally starving myself!

The doctors say that the nausea could last up to 2 months post-op and are almost flippant about the fact that I just may need to go to the ER for my fluids. That's a $100 copay each visit when I've already paid up the wazoo for this surgery (self-pay). To say I regret the procedure is an understatement.

My NUT keeps trying to give me different ideas, like carnation instant Breakfast, or any liquid that taste good just to get liquids. But, all make me want to up-chuck. Even if I go to the ER again for IV fluids, how can a person survive without Protein? ? I'm taking my Prilosec twice a day and 8mg of Zofran for nausea every 8 hours. Doctor told me to hold off on Vitamins since they make me sick & fill me up too much. Which is another point, the doctor said my stomach is more swollen than most that have this surgery. So, that doesn't help, either.

Did anyone have this severe of nausea and how long did it last? Any liquid or protein that worked? I've tried powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury & nectar... I cannot have milk-based because they make me feel worse. Like the carnation instant Breakfast, which tasted like an ash tray. I even did a Lactoid prior to drinking it, to no avail.

Everyone keeps saying it will get better. But, I'm having trouble picturing it. I need some BTDT (been there done that) folks. I know I should feel lucky of all the complications to have, nausea doesn't seem bad to most. But it feels like I'm living in a Medieval torture chamber designed to starve me more and more each day. No amount of weight loss seems worth this! :((. Suggestions are much appreciated!

~Jenn

Hi Jenn,

I'm just about 2 months out of surgery. My nausea was to pretty bad as well! My surgeon prescribed regulan, ativan, and zofran. I hated zofran because it didn't feel like it did anything, however the regulan and ativan works wonders. The other tip that really worked for me was decaffeinated green tea. The tea did wonders for me, it took away my nausea for awhile, so I could get some Protein down. Since surgery I have also been to the ER twice now and both times I was dehydrated. After I was a month out my nausea went away completely. It didn't bug me and the bloating from the surgery was pretty much gone as well. It's all a matter of time...once the staple line heals hopefully your swelling will go down!

I have such severe nausea that even water' date=' ice, or G2 makes me sick to my stomach. It's horrible because I get about 4-8 oz of liquids a day and zero Protein. I just cannot stomach any Protein shakes. I've been to the ER twice for dehydration/nausea, and will surely go again soon. I am 23 days post-op. I could give a rats patootie about the weight loss at this point. Of course I'm losing weight because I'm literally starving myself!

The doctors say that the nausea could last up to 2 months post-op and are almost flippant about the fact that I just may need to go to the ER for my fluids. That's a 100 copay each visit when I've already paid up the wazoo for this surgery (self-pay). To say I regret the procedure is an understatement.

My NUT keeps trying to give me different ideas, like carnation instant Breakfast, or any liquid that taste good just to get liquids. But, all make me want to up-chuck. Even if I go to the ER again for IV fluids, how can a person survive without protein?? I'm taking my Prilosec twice a day and 8mg of Zofran for nausea every 8 hours. Doctor told me to hold off on Vitamins since they make me sick & fill me up too much. Which is another point, the doctor said my stomach is more swollen than most that have this surgery. So, that doesn't help, either.

Did anyone have this severe of nausea and how long did it last? Any liquid or protein that worked? I've tried unjury & nectar... I cannot have milk-based because they make me feel worse. Like the carnation instant breakfast, which tasted like an ash tray. I even did a Lactoid prior to drinking it, to no avail.

Everyone keeps saying it will get better. But, I'm having trouble picturing it. I need some BTDT (been there done that) folks. I know I should feel lucky of all the complications to have, nausea doesn't seem bad to most. But it feels like I'm living in a Medieval torture chamber designed to starve me more and more each day. No amount of weight loss seems worth this! :((. Suggestions are much appreciated!

~Jenn[/quote']

I had my surgery 10 dec and I am still very nauseous, usually so much that I cant take the nausea medicine without throwing it up..I totally understnd what you are going through.

Have u tried a cup of chicken broth, not the bullion cubes either but a really good one by knor or similar? This was a godsend for me the first few weeks.

Hope u feel better.

I haven't tried any broth yet because honestly everything sounds revolting. I will get the knor brand a try, though. I tried a poached egg last night and it did not go down well. One bite, and I wanted to puke.

Sounds like others are just suffering through the nausea like me until it's over. That's pretty unnerving. Surely there is something doctors could do when we aren't getting any nutrients in? IV fluids aren't enough.

~Jenn

I haven't tried any broth yet because honestly everything sounds revolting. I will get the knor brand a try' date=' though. I tried a poached egg last night and it did not go down well. One bite, and I wanted to puke.

Sounds like others are just suffering through the nausea like me until it's over. That's pretty unnerving. Surely there is something doctors could do when we aren't getting any nutrients in? IV fluids aren't enough.

~Jenn[/quote']

Yes I was just reading about a block because I can't continue with this I'm going to call the surgeon in the morning this is miserable

Probably not too related, but I had severe morning sickness with my last son. I was prescribed reglan and zofran but it did nothing. Then they gave me a zofran injection which was awesome! It just sucked because I had to go get the shot once a day which was a hassle, but worth it! Maybe ask about that

I was like this until today!! I was able to drink a whole cup very slowly of Decaf green tea!! I was also afraid since I was getting barely any fluids and no Protein. I've tried every Protein Drink, and it makes me want to puke. Vitamins are out of the question right now! Made my stomach bubble, I wanted to die. Like you, Im dropping 1-2 pounds a day, but at what price?? I'm only 13 days post op, but I can't wait for this to all go away. The cup of tea I had today was very encouraging, give it a try :)

I am 5 weeks post op and I have been dry heaving and throwing up too especially Water, ice, & gatorade. They come up instantly. Im at the point where ill throw up and drink more. Im tired of it. I havent been able to start school this semester. And I feel the same as you.. Its really just not worth it at this point. Hot black tea went down well. That was the first thing I discovered to go down well. Also crackers and Cereal go down fine. I was discouraged from eating and drinking. But im tired of being so weak feeling like a prisoner or like im laying on my death bed. My dr. doesnt have answers he told me to take an enama but i havent seen any difference and also have been to er 2 times.. I also have acid reflux. It sucks that the medical pros will not really find whats wrong

I hate that others are going through this misery, too. But, it is comforting to know I'm not alone. I don't have any green tea in the house, but I am currently sipping peppermint caffeine-free hot tea (it's all I had). I hope this will help. I do have saltine crackers, but haven't gotten the courage to try them yet.

Through all this, every night I dream I'm eating. From chips and dip to steak tips. I usually get jolted awake when I realize that I can't eat in real life so I must be dreaming! Hmmm... Freud would have a field day! :-)

~Jenn

I may be wrong but I think pepermint is not good for acid reflux just a heads up...

When u throw up. Are u vomiting or dry heaving? I believe I may be sliming in my throat. Its like really thick spit clear mucus

Maybe you should try to rub salt off the crackers mine are unsalted and I was afraid to so I just eat one..

Six weeks out and I am just now getting nausea. EVERYTHING makes me want to hurl. It blows. Last night I actually got some gingerale and let some ice melt in it.....and some crackers.....AHHHHHHHHHH. Relief. Happened to one of my friends as well and the only thing that settled her stomach was crackers and coke.

I have such severe nausea that even water' date=' ice, or G2 makes me sick to my stomach. It's horrible because I get about 4-8 oz of liquids a day and zero Protein. I just cannot stomach any Protein shakes. I've been to the ER twice for dehydration/nausea, and will surely go again soon. I am 23 days post-op. I could give a rats patootie about the weight loss at this point. Of course I'm losing weight because I'm literally starving myself!

The doctors say that the nausea could last up to 2 months post-op and are almost flippant about the fact that I just may need to go to the ER for my fluids. That's a 100 copay each visit when I've already paid up the wazoo for this surgery (self-pay). To say I regret the procedure is an understatement.

My NUT keeps trying to give me different ideas, like carnation instant Breakfast, or any liquid that taste good just to get liquids. But, all make me want to up-chuck. Even if I go to the ER again for IV fluids, how can a person survive without Protein? ? I'm taking my Prilosec twice a day and 8mg of Zofran for nausea every 8 hours. Doctor told me to hold off on Vitamins since they make me sick & fill me up too much. Which is another point, the doctor said my stomach is more swollen than most that have this surgery. So, that doesn't help, either.

Did anyone have this severe of nausea and how long did it last? Any liquid or protein that worked? I've tried unjury & nectar... I cannot have milk-based because they make me feel worse. Like the carnation instant breakfast, which tasted like an ash tray. I even did a Lactoid prior to drinking it, to no avail.

~Jenn[/quote']

oh goodness where to begin....I guess with BTDT....I recently got out of hospital six day trip with dehydration etc. One thing they did was shot of decadron (I am not a nurse so Im sure I spelled it wrong). They also gave me.prescrip for same steroid for three days. This would reduce swelling and help nausea. You see I am still only getting few protein down ans liquid. I will be 8 weeks this Wesnesday. I spent first 6 weeks in bed basically....couldnt eat drink etc. I am SO HAPPY to say I have had 6 awesome days so far. Each day a new.day...each day is a day I wake up now not with nausea....I.can eat an entire egg now and I am so thrilled...I even ate 1/4 cup mashed potatoes and you would have thought I won a million dollars. Anyways...please know I have experienced all you have.....I hated listening to the it will get better...I thought when why how....please please listen....it.does get better!! Some people just recover much slower than others. I am still only getting about 32 oz Water.and maybe 25 g protein a day but it beats what I was!!! GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS