Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Milestones & Non-Scale Victories - An Essay by a Bandster

Guest Texasex91

Guest Texasex91

Milestones

By Keith Dlott

I am 10 weeks post-op and have done extremely well. However, I must tell you all that it has been my own hard work that has led to my success. Despite a 1.5cc fill, I remain totally unrestricted. Therefore, it is my change of lifestyle that has led to my success. I am eating healthier than ever and exercising more than ever and I feel wonderful. I am certain that over time, we will find the ‘sweet spot’ with my band and it will function as it is supposed to.

Not wanting to sound like a cliché, but I’m going to use one anyhow. It took us all many years to get to the state that we are in, obese. Taking off the weight is going to be the easiest part, the battle if you will. Maintaining the loss will be the war.

Like many of you, I use fitday.com to track my weight and my progress. I put my goal weight in and the date I would like to achieve it, one-year post op. The numbers are startling. If I average 1.6 pounds per week, I will be at my goal weight!

Ever the optimist and also wanting to be an overachiever, I of course am trying to beat that goal and am working extraordinarily hard to do so. However, as you all know, not all weeks are good weeks and weight loss often fluctuates based on things that we have no idea about. For example, I lost over four pounds on vacation two weeks ago and followed it up with a terrific week, so I thought, but only lost 1.8 pounds. Go figure…

I have come to the conclusion, that in order to be successful, I must measure this adventure in more than just pounds lost. It seems that on a weekly and sometimes even a daily basis, some kind of milestone is achieved.

Sometimes it is of course surpassing a threshold. Every 10 pounds that goes by on the scale is incredibly gratifying.

But if you look at the big picture, there are so many less tangible things you can measure other than the bottom line weight…these are the milestones I think we need to examine:

Ø BMI – passing through categories, out of morbidly obese and down the chain to ‘normal.’

Ø Clothes – try putting on something that you haven’t worn in a long time. Sure, it might not fit perfectly, but I bet it fits better than it did a month ago.

Ø Jewelry – pull something out that you haven’t worn in awhile and see how it fits. I put my wedding band on the other day and for the first time in years, it was comfortable.

Ø Where do you stand versus other weight loss attempts? – I am a couple of pounds away from my Atkins low and probably the lowest I have been in many years, but this time, it’s going to stay off.

Ø Event seating – I went to a concert where the seats had always been very uncomfortable for me and I dropped right in as if the seat were built for me. The same goes for airplanes.

Ø Exercise – get out there and do it! There are simply NO excuses. Walk down the street and back, around the block…once you get going, you will be like Forest Gump and just keep going.

Ø Others noticing – let’s say you had a bad week, but nonetheless, you are still much smaller than the last time a friend saw you. How gratifying is it for them to say, you sure look good?

- And last but certainly not least, let's not forget each and every time you say "NO" to something you used to say "YES" to in your pre-banded days.

There are so many great things going on with your body, your attitude, your energy level and your life. Let’s focus on winning the war by winning the small battles we face every day. Even if the scale doesn’t say what you want it to, there are so many other ways to measure your success.

I wish you all the best.

Keith Dlott

Banded 4/30/04

323/280/???

Bless you, Keith!

I hope you continue to share all your peaks and valleys with us here! You are a great writer!

Guest Texasex91

Thanks Debra. I'd love to hear about your journey. Are you at your goal weight? When were you banded?

Keith

Thanks so much for sharing Keith! I connected with so many things that you said and have plotted what I will do if I suddenly find that I have no restriction. I have only been banded since June 30th but have every intention of making my banded life a healthy and active one... restriction or not! I love that I don't have a choice about portions right now but I have my mind prepared for a day that I may have to say stop instead of my band saying it for me.

I've lost 13 lbs so far... walk a minimum of a mile and a half a day and already feel less aches and pains... more energy... and much more positive about the future! I worked hard to get this darned band into my body... couldn't live with myself if I didn't work just as hard with it as I did to get it.

It sounds like you are going to achieve each and every goal you set Keith... wishing you much success with your band and your positive outlook!

Darcy

Guest Texasex91

Thanks Darcy. I find it very rewarding that I have done this all on my own. However, I do want my moneys worth out of the band!

Keith

Hi Keith,

Congratulations on your banding and remarkable success even without restriction!

Your essay certainly hits some points familiar to me personally. Just the other day I was shopping and realizing in a million tiny ways that I just move through the world differently than I used to. Not caring if I have to park a league away from the store, not balking at turnstile entrances, having the energy to add stops and do errands I didn't think of earlier, fitting in a bathroom stall WITH my bags...all of these are major changes to my life, and all due to banding.

I've lost weight before, but never with the sense of permanence I have this time. I'm not fighting for every pound--I'm just living my life in a whole new way, one that doesn't involve mass quantities of food followed by guilt and self-hatred. Fighting for every pound and setting goals I may not hit would not work well for me: I'm more of a realist than an optimist and have never been an overachiever.

But the band is helping me achieve a dream that's never been fathomable before. It's an ally in my lifelong struggle against obesity and it's wonderful to have it in my corner. I'm sure you'll feel the same way when you get to a point where you feel restriction.

I feel like I'm getting to the point that I need my first fill, due to lack of restriction. But I do have to give my Band credit. Preband, I was not as conscientous of what I eat, when I eat, or how much I eat. I didn't drink enough Water. I certainly didn't get any exercise. Now, I'm learning how to live healthier. I'm taking half of the prescription meds. My blood pressure, arthritis, asthma, and hiatal hernia are almost none existent. I want to get out and enjoy life now. Before, I just wanted to stay hidden away. I had zero self esteem. I'm also thankful for this website. I've picked up so many helpful pointers along the way. And it's a great place to vent (with others who truly understand). So far, this has been an incredible journey!

What a great thread!

Keith: I am one week away from my surgery! I started my pre-surgury low-carb diet last week and have lost 4 1/2# that I know are gone forever! This is a new way of thinking, and a thought process I have never had before! I love it!

Alex: You brought tears to my eyes, as you frequently do! You always manage to bring home the realization of what this is all about! Living, breathing, moving with a sense of ease, not total discomfort!

Marie: How amazing!

I'm taking half of the prescription meds. My blood pressure, arthritis, asthma, and hiatal hernia are almost none existent.

This with a 25# loss of weight! Phenomenol! Great job!

Darcy: My older band-twin! (ha! brown-noser!) 13 pounds! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!