Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is losing 5% of your weight on surgery every month normal or less !

I was 375 lbs on the day of surgery. I have lost 57 lbs in 3 months. That amounts to 19 lbs per month i.e. 5% of my starting weight every month. Don't you think it is quite less than the average weight lost as reported on this site by fellow members ?

What could I be doing wrong ?

I don't know if you are doing anything wrong or not as you didn't say anything about your diet, exercise, Water intake - daily grams of Protein, carbs or fat. However, your weight loss is quite good. It's hard to know if you are losing faster than you should be, honestly. It would be more helpful to know lbs lost in each month rather than an overall average. The first month is usually a high number, it ought to slow down after that. 10 lbs per month is usually considered quite good after the first month.

You may be a fast loser. Are you male or female? . Men are more likely to lose fast. But essentially, you are losing quite quickly. Your worry is probably unwarranted. But only you know about your eating and exercise habits! Good luck. I have heard a saying about this being a marathon and not a race - its true.

You're not doing anything wrong and making poor nutritional decisions to speed weight loss is a bad idea. We're already losing a LOT of weight compared to a traditional diet, even though it might not seem that way. You can't judge your weight loss by what others do.

Personally, I only lose about 4-5 pounds a week. Sure, I want to be done already, I'm as impatient as the next person :) However, it adds up. I've lost almost 100 pounds total now, and you will too :) You and I had similar start weights.

Thanks ladies. I am worried that post surgery I am losing quite slower than other people here. But thanks for your kind words. The Gamer and I seem to be in the same boat. But her achievement seems to be greater. I salute you !

Shouldn't people whose starting weight is in 300s be more than those whose starting weight was in 200s ?

Well I had a couple things that impacted my weight loss. I had a period of time post-op where I was unable to eat because of a stricture. I spent several weeks after being cleared for solids on a liquid diet because I couldn't swallow otherwise. Eating, drinking, and even sleeping were all very painful. I also just got over a nasty bout of sickness where I lost about 15+ pounds because I couldn't eat for 3 days at all. I'm expecting that I'll regain some weight now that I am eating again, probably at least 5-8 pounds because I need to rehydrate.

When I started my pre-op diet I was 383, and lost about 30 on that - it was a very strict diet, but I loved the fast weight loss. I'm down to about 286, but that's not going to last once I get rehydrated.

Those of us with higher starting weights generally do initially lose weight faster. After all, we're eating the same calories as our lower weight counterparts, but we require more calories to function than they do. Many factors go in to weight loss though, including what we eat, our body composition, how much we exercise, and our metabolism.