Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill questions

Hi all,

I'm due for my first fill on Nov. 19th and was wondering if you can tell me what to expect.

What did you feel like immediately afterwards. How do they determine how much of a fill to give you. Do you feel immediate restriction and will it help you get that wonderful feeling of fullness you first feel when you get the band?

I started out doing great but haven't lost any weight this past week. I haven't gained any weight either, but was disappointed in not losing more than the 13 pounds I've lost since being banded on Oct. 18th. Am I expecting too much too soon, or can I look forward to getting back on the weight loss track with the fill?

Thanks for answering my questions.

Well, what to expect depends on whether or not your doc uses flouro. Mine does not, so...he presses on my belly to feel for the port and when he finds it he gives me a shot to numb the area. Then he inserts the needle to withdraw all Fluid from my band and then refills it with fresh saline to the same amount he withdrew plus whatever the new amount is. It honestly does not hurt me one bit. I think getting blood work done is more painful.

As far as how much you'll get...my doc discusses my eating and determines how long it's taking between meals for me to feel hungry. Then he basically makes a judgement call based on our conversation. Everyone's bodies are different so comparing the amount of fill really isn't a good idea. (Just because one person gets a 2cc fill does not mean that's the right amount for someone else.)

Immediately after my fill I feel perfectly fine. It doesn't feel like I even had a "procedure" done. As far as restriction...yes, I feel a little tighter for the first day or two then when your band swelling goes down (usually by day 3 for me) you'll get a clear idea of your new level of restriction.

You'll want to be careful during those first two days at least (follow your doc's instructions). Day one is usually liquids only for most of us and if that goes well then mushies for day two, moving on to regular food when you feel ready.

As far as weight loss...basically you've lost 13 pounds in a month which is an incredible amount. You should feel great about that. My first month was not that big of a number. But, after your fill you will most likely see an increase in your weight loss. So, I don't think you were ever not "on track" but you're questions/concerns are perfectly normal for this stage of the game! Good luck and your fill will be great!

Thanks so much for the information and encouragement. This site has been SO helpful to me. I don't know what I would have done without being able to get in here and see everyone's progress and hear all the positive input and attitudes.

It's reassuring to know that I'm on track.

Katylady: I'm from Katy and I've had two fills from PSC Houston. If you'll confirm that is where you're going to have yours, I'll let you know my experiences there. BTW, we're trying to assemble a support group in Katy and are looking for a meeting location.

Whlarimer,

My doc is Dr. Spivak. Can't wait until my first fill. I'm having a difficult time with the mushie stage of the diet and find myself sometimes eating things I know I shouldn't! I'm doing better this week because I've gone back lo eating Soups again, but the temptation for solid foods is difficult to get past. Thank goodness I only have another week to go!

Let me know if we get a Katy group formed. I would be interested in attending. I can't think of a meeting place offhand, but maybe to begin with we could meet at Starbucks or take turns hosting at our homes.

I think it depends on the doctor, as well as the patient. Everybody has a different level of 'fullness'. My doctor doesn't do fills under flouro, which is fine by me - he's never missed the mark.

My first fill was 1.0ml. I didn't feel restriction from that .. it took a few gos to get it right. You just have to patient and know that you will find that sweet spot eventually.

Good luck :)

I had my first fill at 1cc and it really made no difference. It was fast and totally painless. The doc did a tiny shot of numbing stuff and did the fill in less than 5 minutes. My second fill was up to 1.5 and then I felt some difference in appetite and satiety. The third fill to 1.7 is when I finally started losing weight steadily. Dont expect too much from the first fill, it happens for some people that they NEVER need a fill, for most of us it takes several.