Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my 6 month appointment yesterday with an AARN. Basically she said all blood work is good and weight loss is astounding. I actually have way to high levels of B12 so can stop taking it daily.However, my BMI is 29 and my fat % is 22. What gives? I thought my BMI would be lower given my fat % is pretty good at 22%. Any thoughts? The other good outcome from the meeting is we actually talked about some concrete goals for the first time. It looks like I am getting pretty close to where the surgeon wants me to be, about 15 more lbs. Some others have commented I should not lose any more weight as-is, but I would like to at least hit the doctor goal. However, I am afraid the dr goal is going to make me look gaunt and sick looking, bones popping out everywhere in my face shoulders, arms, etc. What do some of you do when faced with this issue. I am still losing, especially when I run every other day during the work week. My vst avatar is about 2 months old so it does not reflect exactly how I look now. Will update it soon.

Good for you and your successes. I don't know about losing more weight. I still have a 27 BMI and have bones sticking out too. It is just a number after all and it is about how you feel really. The BMI is based on height and weight it doesn't factor in bone size etc.

The other thought is to reach the doctors goal, to say that you did and if you feel/look too thin you can always put a little back on. How about building more muscle as it weighs more than fat that might help your overall look.

Congratulations again.

BMI doesn't take into account your larger bone structure from carrying around all the extra weight for so long, nor does it take into account any excessive muscle mass you may have, so don't worry about BMI. Your body fat percentage is getting very good, and that's much more indicative of your overall health. Let it and your weight get to whatever point your comfortable with, don't worry about any one else's opinions. You are the one who has to live in your skin. When you get to that point, if you're still losing, I'm sure your doc or NUT can give you some strategies for maintaining your weight.

BMI doesn't take into account your larger bone structure from carrying around all the extra weight for so long' date=' nor does it take into account any excessive muscle mass you may have, so don't worry about BMI. Your body fat percentage is getting very good, and that's much more indicative of your overall health. Let it and your weight get to whatever point your comfortable with, don't worry about any one else's opinions. You are the one who has to live in your skin. When you get to that point, if you're still losing, I'm sure your doc or NUT can give you some strategies for maintaining your weight.[/quote']

Thanks, that is good to hear body fat % is something more realistic to measure success by. I think my final weight will end up somewhere in between current weight and 175, probably 185 after I lose 5-10 lb and gain a few lbs in lean muscle.

Good for you and your successes. I don't know about losing more weight. I still have a 27 BMI and have bones sticking out too. It is just a number after all and it is about how you feel really. The BMI is based on height and weight it doesn't factor in bone size etc.

The other thought is to reach the doctors goal' date=' to say that you did and if you feel/look too thin you can always put a little back on. How about building more muscle as it weighs more than fat that might help your overall look.

Congratulations again.[/quote']

Thanks, I am working on increasing muscle by doing upper body training on my off running days, plus some full body training like lunges and squats with hand weights.