Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have a seroma at the port site?

My port is on the right and it was hard to begin with and just kept getting larger (like the size of a small fist). I went back to the surgeon and he aspirated it. He said I was the first one of his patients to have a seroma at the port site. Fortunately it wasn't infected but he gave me antibiotics as a precaution. The rest of the incisions are healing fine.

How long does it take before you know if the seroma is going to come back?

I went to my doctor today, first follow up. I had about 1/4inch opening in my port site that kept draining. My doctor said it was a seroma and packed it. I have to pack it twice a day. I did tonight. It was a bit uncomfortable but it didn't seem to be draining so much. NO antibiotics because it is not infected. So I do dry packing and gauze. Will keep a close eye on it though...

I know this is a little late, but I am new to the group. I had my surgery in July of this year. About a week after the surgery a lump developed near the port site. It was very painful but not infected. As soon as I removed the last steri-strip, a FLOOD of Fluid gushed out and it lasted for days. The pain finally subsided but because of the hole I couldn't get my fill as scheduled. While I was waiting for my appointment, I still had drainage. One morning I woke up and the white tubing was sticking out of the incision! I immediately went to my doctor and she said the port had healed like a bridge over the muscle instead of flat against it. Needless to say, on September 11th I had a second procedure to have the port repositioned and stitched back down. I had no problems with the second surgery until a week or so ago when I noticed a Fluid pocket near the site again. A few days ago the incision site became very thin. I made an appointment to have it checked out just in case, but the next morning I woke up in a puddle! Sometime in the night the incision burst open and drained. When I sat up in bed it actually squirted out (gross, I know...but the info might be helpful to someone!) It drained farily quickly through that day and night. Now the lump is gone but I still have some drainage. Not clear like before, but no smell (I know gross again, sorry) so she says no infection. I am taking Bactim just in case! There is a tiny hole over the port, so I am staying bandaged up and taped down, sure don't want a repeat surgery to replaced the port and tubing! No visible drainage now, just yellowish gook on bandage when I change it. I have not had any fills yet, actually had the small amount that was in the band when it was placed removed a few weeks after the first surgery because I couldn't even swallow watee comfortably. So right now my band is flat and I am really looking forward to my first fill, which was supposed to be October 29th but may be postponed if this little hole doesn't seal up, or an infection occurs. Keeping my fingers crossed! At any rate, I am down over 50 lbs! Just proves what the doctors say, the band is only a tool. I know that I will plateau soon so I am ready to get the first fill so I can stay on course.

Congrats to all of you that have had the procedure and are losing! For those future Banders, good luck! Even with the second surgery, and the overall yuckiness of the drainage, I still feel good about my decision to have the Lap Band.

Do heat packs really help? I have a discharge from the surgical incision which oozes light reddish to clear yellow serum-like Fluid. I have been back and forth with my surgeon who keeps telling me to come back in a few more weeks, then another few more until now I am 6 months post-surgery and still have leakage. Sometimes it stops and doesn't swell, then a few days later it starts leaking again, then it will stop and sometimes it swells like a giant blister and when it is lanced all kinds of reddish non-infected Fluid comes out. I am totally frustrated!!!

I know what you are going through. Several weeks ago I had a blisterlike spot come up on my incision site. It then started draing clear yellowish fluid. Sometimes the fluid will be a light reddish color. I went to the doctor last week and was put on antibiotic. Had a follow up today and the surgeon wants to see me in 2 weeks. He is going to check the area (size of a bebe). He has scheduled me for and EGD to r/o erosion. He told me that he is a hundred percent sure that it is not erosion. The surgeon told me that if it were that that I would have a big reddened area that is infected on my abdomen. What does you surgeon tell you?

I am about 5 1/2 months out from surgery.:wink_smile:

I am 5 1/2 months out from surgery and had a Water filled area come up over where my port is. It started draining yellowish to light reddish Fluid. Went to the surgeon last week and started antibiotics. Had follow up today. He mentioned that if it were an erosion that my abdomen would be red and look infected. I don't have that. He said that he is one hundred percent sure that I don't have this . He has scheduled me for an EGD in 2 weeks to ease my mind. I have had 2 fills and down 38.5lbs. Still a ways to go.

I had my surgey on 12/16/08 i have have pain in that area incisions are all healed i had upper gi to r/o erosion and to make sure it is still in place that came out fine pain not always ther but when i get it is so intense i can't even move

the pa told me it was a seroma has anyone else had intense pain with it

So I went in last week because I was having intense pain after walking for long periods of time. The pain was right where my port was. So I called and they kept telling me it was suppose to be the size of a marble. I said well it's about the size of my palm LOL So they had me come in and the PA is pretty sure it's seroma. She said she won't be sure that my port hasn't flipped until they do the fill on March 5th. She said they never do anything about the seroma until the fill just for fear of causing an infection. Right now it's not red, my incisions aren't red or anything. Everything else is fine, just a nice size bulge on my left side and every now and then excrusiating pain. Like just a few minutes ago, I went to shut a door but it was being resistant..yup caused me to grab my side and for tears to well up in my eyes..granted I had been in pain all day just from walking too much, but still very annoying. I hope everyone starts feeling better soon. I know I'd be great if it wasn't for this stupid bulge LOL

I have recently had surgery again for port displacement. This time, I have developed a seroma. It feels like the port is displaced again-my doctor will not be back in the office until next week-I know this is not an acute problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

I had surgery 8/19/2010, developed a seroma by day 14 post op. was in surg again for port removal, still draining from seroma, has been total of 4 weeks lost 31lbs

I had surgery on Aug 3. 10 days post op I woke up in a pool of Fluid. I had an "uncontrolled pop". They drained it more and put me on antibiotics. It healed. I went in for my first fill on Sept 15 and my port flipped. I had surgery for port revision on Sept. 27. A week later the incision started oozing. Back on antibiotics. Area around port incision is slightly swollen and red. Will see doc again on Wed.

40 lbs down despite everything.

That may be what I have...I'll find out tomorrow. I think I pulled out a stitch on the port. Anyway, I woke up in the middle of the night after turning in my sleep....OUCH! The next morning I had a new bruise, and it has gotten bigger every day. It is now about 3 inches across.

I went to see my doc on Friday - he wasn't in, but his nurse looked at it, called him in surgery, and he said to go home and apply heat. Well - I did that for 2 days, and it only got worse. Called the on-call doc, and he said to apply ice! Anyway, they may have to drain it tomorrow. Hope it goes well, because everything else "seems" to be going okay.:blushing:

Hoping it turns out well, Tess.

I went back to see the doc and he put me on another antibiotic along with the current one. He told me that if it didn't clear up I would have to have the port removed. It is much better but still not completely healed and I finished both antibiotics on Friday. I am hoping it will be healed by the time I see him this Friday.

Thanks. Went to the doc today. Turns out that I have a hematoma...probably from a pull on the port when I coughed or moved in my sleep. Since I had blood thinners during surgery, it caused a hematoma to develop from the pull. The PAssitant said she didn't want to drain it because it would open the area to infections, so she put me on an antibiotics for a week as a precaution, and said to take a pain pill and use heat if I needed it.

Hope this takes care of the problem.:huh2: