Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss and Shaving - Who'd have thought?

Funny thing has happened since I've been losing weight, and It's not surprising really. Everything seems to get better. Life just tastes better, and a symptom of that is looking after yourselves in lots of small ways.

I've recently discovered shaving with a double edge (DE) razor. I'm loving it. My skin is a lot better because I don't have a multi blade cartridge shaver ripping my hair out and cutting it at the root.

It's also turned a chore into something that I enjoy doing. I look like a man again (ie not a sack of potatoes) and I start the day the way men are supposed to, shaving with a blade.

It's the way your Dad might have shaved, but probably how your Grandfather did. Give it a try.

I've posted a youtube vid below.

PS - And this is without getting into hair removal in other area's, that's probably another thread!! :P :ph34r: B)

nice :) i've been shaving with a merkur for a while now myself. i love it.

what kind of blades do you use? i like feather brand. took me a while to find some that i really liked. they're cheapest on Amazon.< /p>

I use a Feather SS razor. At the moment I'm using Astra blades. I've been through merkur, derby and persona. Haven't tried the feathers yet but I have a pack there. I'm going to give them a go next. I've heard they're pretty aggressive.

Deano

I don't know, I'd ask about the soap, wouldn't care to with out the right soap. My Gramps used the same with a disc or worn down hand soap, the disc was scented as I recall but not so much more years ago, I still get allot out of creams in a can. That must be weighted nicely giving a different feel in a shave I guess, whats the cost for one ?

I always thought it was bad to go against the grain when shaving.

I don't know, I'd ask about the soap, wouldn't care to with out the right soap. My Gramps used the same with a disc or worn down hand soap, the disc was scented as I recall but not so much more years ago, I still get allot out of creams in a can. That must be weighted nicely giving a different feel in a shave I guess, whats the cost for one ?

Yeah, I wouldn't use a can of cream to shave with a DE. I don't think it would be dense or slippery enough.

Google 'Proraso' it's made in Italy and pretty economical. Or 'Taylor of Old Bond St' from the UK. They need to be used with a shaving brush.

I always thought it was bad to go against the grain when shaving.

I think that's true if you're using a cartridge blade shaver that pulls on the hair. Because DE blades cut off with no pulling it's not an issue. I shave with the grain on the first pass and then on the second a combination with against and across.

Deano

I will look them up Deano, it's interesting, I learned watching this exact type razor + brush shaving yet never used one more than a few times. If the soap seems that good to me, I may end up wanting to give it all a whirl in the future.

thanks

I've mentioned this before here in the Man Room, but the product is so good, it's worth repeating: if you shave with a razor, I highly recommend trying Billy Jealousy's Hydroplane Super Slick Shave Cream:

http://www.amazon.com/Billy-Jealousy-Hydroplane-8-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B000A5CPJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360008459&sr=8-1&keywords=billy+jealousy

I shave my head now too, and it works so much better than anything I ever used in a can. I regularly shave against the grain without any irritation, and I'm using a cheap Schick Extreme 3 disposable razor (for the contour of my head), and still get great results because of the cream. Do yourself a favor and try it. You probably won't go back!

the feather blades are a little bit aggressive.. i admit i nicked myself a bit when i started with them, but now it's fine.

i use a combination of things for the soap / oil..

every man jack unscented shave cream is awesome.

i use a tweezerman brush with your basic soap in a cup you get at CVS - does a great job.

i also have some sandalwood shaving soap, unknown brand, that my parents gave me that works well.

if you've never tried a pre-shave oil, then you're missing out! it's awesome and i use it once or twice a week to keep the skin nice. the Art of Shaving brand lemon oil is killer.

I've been getting more and more in to the art of shaving, instead of just going through the steps like I used to.

C.O. Bigelow shave cream is pretty fantastic for my head, for the face I still use soap in a cup, always have and probably always will. I've yet to try a safety razor yet, but after checking some out on Amazon and other places, I'm going to order one soon for a trial run. Right now I use a Gillette fusion ProGlide razor, against the grain 2nd pass on head, with the grain on the face (I like the scruffy look beard since I can't have an actual beard for my occupation) don't touch the 'stache unless just a trim.

I've been getting more and more in to the art of shaving, instead of just going through the steps like I used to.

C.O. Bigelow shave cream is pretty fantastic for my head, for the face I still use soap in a cup, always have and probably always will. I've yet to try a safety razor yet, but after checking some out on Amazon and other places, I'm going to order one soon for a trial run. Right now I use a Gillette fusion ProGlide razor, against the grain 2nd pass on head, with the grain on the face (I like the scruffy look beard since I can't have an actual beard for my occupation) don't touch the 'stache unless just a trim.

Mark if you're thinking of getting you're first double edged / safety razor have a look at a Merkur Heavy Duty (HD 34C). Great all round razor. Fantastic reviews on line.

Deano

In my arsenal at the moment is -

a Feather all stainless razor

Mitchell's Wool Fat shave soap. I'm addicted to this stuff. The best soap / cream I've ever used. It has icon status amongst wet shavers. It comes in a ceramic bowl with a loose cake of soap. I grate mine and then press it back into shape so it forms to the bowl.

I have always used an alum block. I don't use it anymore, since starting to use Wool Fat.

I have a pot of Trumper Coconut Oil cream that I use instead of Wool Fat sometimes. But I always got back to the Fat.

Post shave I slap on some Trumper Sandalwood Skin food. It's a great as a soothing aftershave. I'm anti aftershaves containing alcohol.