Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Embedding the port in your abdominal wall

Hi all,

I have been banded since the end of April. I am getting very close to goal and my port is really getting noticeable. I went in and saw that doc today and asked about a low profile port. He told me that a low profile port isn't really a whole bunch smaller than the port I have now and suggested that I think about having my port put into the abdominal muscles.

Has anyone else had this done? Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks and have a great day.

Where is your port now? Mine was originally attached to my abdominal muscles (some people have it between their breasts or underneath a the breast bone though)... when it started to show it got moved during Tummy Tuck and it kind of under my ribcage a bit stil attached to abdominal muscles though. Worth it in my opinon - I kept knocking it when it stuck out and it hurt - it's much less obvious now.

Currently it is on my left side between my breast and my hip. He wants to cut into my abdominal muscle to make it a lot lower.

I understand about wanting it moved, mine stuck out and looked like some kind of cancerous skin growth, it wasn't a small bulge - with the skin on top it kind of looked like I had a ping pong ball slipped under my skin :) It's like a slight bulge now but not noticeable to others unless i'm wearing a bikini or they are copping a feel :rolleyes

They didn't need to cut into the muscle for me, you must be super skinny!

I was just reading on a website today that when you go into the lapband surgery, ask for a low profile port. (I'm wanting to do the lap band surgery in January), so I will be asking for it. I hear they do make a difference, but I'm not an expert.

Since I'm not telling anyone about my surgery, it is very important to me that the port not show. How tall are you Irish girl? Just curious, my beginning weight now is 235 and I want to get down to around 150 (135 would be da bomb!).

I hope it all works out for you! You have done so great - your numbers are fantastic!

I am 5'4". The doc is sure that when I get to goal of 135ish, that I will have a really noticeable lump. He said it is completely my choice as to whether or not I will have it placed lower. I guess I will have to see how it looks when I get there. My birthday is in March. Wouldn't hitting goal by then be the best birthday present ever?

Irish Girl, I'm so impressed with your progress. You give me some hope! Yes, hitting your goal in March would be the best present ever! I'm interested in what you eat? Can you give me a sample menu of what you eat in a days time?

Or if you have a blog that keeps track of all that, can you share with me? If you want you can PM me. Man, your my inspiration! You need to show some before & after pics!

Irish Girl, I went to my seminar today and I asked about the port showing with the doctor. One thing he does when people get close to their goal and they do not think they will need any more fills is he removes the port and ties off the other part. He said no need for a port if you won't needs fills. I personally question this because what if you need immediate unfill?

He also said in the beginning you can request a Low-profile port which is much smaller than the normal port. Some people switch to the low profile port later on when it starts to show. Me personally, I am requesting the low profile port up front - its sometimes called the Designers port. Anyhow, thought I would share that information with you. They do have to special order the low profile port, but I think I am going to wait on it before I get the surgery.

Irish Girl, I went to my seminar today and I asked about the port showing with the doctor. One thing he does when people get close to their goal and they do not think they will need any more fills is he removes the port and ties off the other part. He said no need for a port if you won't needs fills.
I have never, ever in my long banded life have heard of this. The whole thing is contrary to what the band is about. The band is meant to be adjusted over a life time. What your doctor (I really hope this man is not your doctor, I'd run away) is suggesting is almost criminal. And Inamed definitely doesn't condone any kind of "tying off" of the band tubing. A doctor doing this could damage the band tubing.

And not to mention - that whatever level of restriction you have eases up over time - whether due to absorption, osmosis or sweating.

And what if you simply find yourself gaining 5-10# in a few years. Then you're thinking "Gee, I should have kept my port..."

I personally question this because what if you need immediate unfill?

Exactly! How could they possibly adjust the band, down the road.

This is awful. Simply awful. :)

In the doctors defense, I "could" have misunderstood his explanation, but that is what I swear I heard him say? I too thought, that is weird??? I think I am going to email the office and ask that question again.

No, he is not my doctor, I just went to a seminar, I am searching for the right doctor now. I have some names of doctors abut 60 miles away that I probably will use.

I do want to use the low profile port though.