Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Me Thinks The World Just became a little safer

This mistake will ultimately cost them the White House in 2008 because the REAL message from the voter was this, "You guys, Democrates and Republicans, put your heads together, work together, make Iraq better, and stop the gridlock....we're sick of it".

And you would know this how????

What exactly does "make Iraq better" mean???

You have a good point, Laurend. There will be home grown terrorists (nutbars) who will have no connection with the events in foreign countries. There will be folks like Tim McVey. There will also be alienated/whacked out crazy people who decide to become mass or serial killers. Most Americans are more likely to be affected by these individuals than by Muslim terrorists. This is just the way the odds work.

I don't think that we should forget the odds. People who live in Manhattan, Washington and possibly Chicago, L.A, San Francisco and Seattle may live in attractive cities to terrorists.

As for myself, a Canadian, I live in Toronto which is probably the most attractive Canadian city. Folks who live in Ottawa, our capital, and in Montreal, Calgary, and Vancouver might also be considered to be at risk. This means that most of Canada and the United States are irrelevant to the terrorists, and even in those areas that are vulnerable most of the population would be unaffected.

The events of 9/11 were truly horrible. I was emotionally frozen by these events as were we all. This was not just an American tragedy, it was a North American tragedy. In fact many Canadians were working in the twin towers and died that day. And it was Canada who received the international flights when the States became a no-fly zone.

It is, however, of paramount importance that a large and powerful country not sink into fear and paranoia as a result of this terrible time. North America will not be invaded by Muslims. Post 9/11 there has been no further successful terrorist activities on North American soil. Should, god forbid! a further tragedy happen, most of you will not be affected and the perpetrators will be found and punished.

I am puzzled by the climate of fear in which so many of you have chosen to live. Realistically speaking most of us have as much chance of being killed by terrorists or psycho-killers as we do of winning the lottery. In fact we probably have more chance of winning the lottery. I do not think that it is healthy for anyone to choose to operate under a climate of fear. I say this as a woman who has travelled alone in Europe, who has lived alone in the heart of a major north American city, and as a woman who is, on her father's side, part of an often disliked minority.

The way I see it, you who have chosen to embrace this climate of fear have permitted the passage of the Patriotic Acts, and these are serious attacks on your civil liberties....

And if Iraq becomes a "better place," won't that be an American success? And, by the way, the donkey is spelled Democrat!

Predictions:

1.The next 2 years will be nothing but Congressional Hearings with no agenda other than to make the Democrates look better for 2008. How do you do this? Make Republicans look bad.

Do they really need help?

2. During this time virtually NOTHING will be accomplished.

As opposed to how THIS congress has helped the average American family?

3. Democrates will mistake their "razor thin" victory as a mandate to pull troops out of Iraq and other strategic locations with no regard to the damage that this action will cause for decades. This mistake will ultimately cost them the White House in 2008 because the REAL message from the voter was this, "You guys, Democrates and Republicans, put your heads together, work together, make Iraq better, and stop the gridlock....we're sick of it". But guess what? The Democrates are so "joyous" after their perceived mandate they'll do nothing for two years but obstruct and nothing will change too much in Iraq.

"I earned capital in this campaign, political capital," President Bush said two days after winning re-election with 51% of the vote, "and now I intend to spend it." We don't want to get THESE results mixed up with the big Dubya victory.

4. The American voter, being a little smarter than those in Washington give us credit for, will elect a "moderate" like John McCain or someone like him, and the Democrates will yet again fail to get the message. This moderate may be a Democrate in title, but will govern with common sense and will make decisions based on what's best for this country and not his particular party.....this is what the American voter wants.

If you're a pro-choice woman, McCaine isn't moderate...if you are NOT pro-choice, you still might have noticed that he has been posturing and positioning himself to try to attain your vote...in other words, he's selling out in the HOPE that you'll think he's moderate. But he's really very far right.

5. John Kerry's little joke that went bad is a true indicator of how the Democrates, most anyway, feel about our military. I don't care if he was in Vietnam, he thinks our military is a bunch of "knuckle draggers" and has no use for them. This opinion of the military will be shown under the bright light of Congressional hearings that are coming like a freight train with no brakes. These hearing will be lead by Democrates.

]If jokes are a true indicator of anything, then what does THIS say?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1U7qgudyww&mode=related&search=]YouTube - Bush Missing WMD's Joke[/ame]

For those of us who tend to favor the Republican party, be patient, sit back and let the Democrates hang themselves, given enough time and media attention they'll succeed.

You are right in that I think MOST voters want them to stop acting like whores, but I don't see how your approach is giving the Democrats even a chance to prove themselves wrong...it seems like you've already convicted them.

So far, the Republicans own Abramoff and Ney and DeLay and Menendez and Foley and Hastert and Pombo and had the close ties to energy scandals and Enron and the donut-hole in Medicare Prescriptions for your parents or grandparents. All the democrats had recently was a horny president. speaking of horny...we have a Republican governor-elect (Nevada) who may have himself in a bit of a bind, except when the Congressional Republicans get horny they tend to bring assault into the picture.

Give then a CHANCE to disgrace themselves...or at least to shoot themselves in the foot....before you condemn them.

Predictions:

1.The next 2 years will be nothing but Congressional Hearings with no agenda other than to make the Democrates look better for 2008. How do you do this? Make Republicans look bad.

Tempting though it is to picture Bush going throught what Clinton did, I thing we Dems need to be very careful about this one. I think it's fair to do some investigations, I think that is what the whole checks and balances thing is about.

3. Democrates will mistake their "razor thin" victory as a mandate to pull troops out of Iraq and other strategic locations with no regard to the damage that this action will cause for decades. This mistake will ultimately cost them the White House in 2008 because the REAL message from the voter was this, "You guys, Democrates and Republicans, put your heads together, work together, make Iraq better, and stop the gridlock....we're sick of it". But guess what? The Democrates are so "joyous" after their perceived mandate they'll do nothing for two years but obstruct and nothing will change too much in Iraq.

Hum, I haven't heard a lot more about a mandate after this election then others, and I don't agree with your "razor thin" characteraztion. I've actually heard at least one quote from a Dem specifically saying he didn't take it as a mandate.

5. John Kerry's little joke that went bad is a true indicator of how the Democrates, most anyway, feel about our military. I don't care if he was in Vietnam, he thinks our military is a bunch of "knuckle draggers" and has no use for them. This opinion of the military will be shown under the bright light of Congressional hearings that are coming like a freight train with no brakes. These hearing will be lead by Democrates.

I don't agree with this either. I think he was truely trying to slam Bush.

For those of us who tend to favor the Republican party, be patient, sit back and let the Democrates hang themselves, given enough time and media attention they'll succeed.

I think we Dems have a opportunity here, and I hope we use it. I agree though, we could blow it just as the Reps did.

Another 9/11, for one. Here's a Liberal, "Oh please Mr. Terrorist, don't bomb us, let's talk about this. I'm sure that you are feeling so disenfranchised these days, what with all of the terrible things going on in Mecca and that evil Israel that shouldn't even be a country, but if you and I could just have a converstion, I'm sure we could work this out..." KaBoooom.

THAT'S scary.

I haven't heard such crap since I left the Army...9/11 e.g., the airplanes being flown into buildings in NY and Washington was presaged by the attack in '93 and the foiling of the pacific airliner plot of '91 - remember those? ALL the work by our law enforcement and judicial organizations was done prior to 9/11 and foiled many more attacks than the one that succeeded...or do those not count? I have never seen/heard of 100% prevention of anything...and whether or not democrats or republicans are in charge really has nothing to do with those hardworking men and women who go to work everyday and whose missions include keeping us safe.

As for what's happening in Mecca - do tell - what exactly do you think IS happening in Mecca? As far as I can tell, the Saudis have just completed Ramadan and the Eid al Fitr holiday - there's not much going on there right now that we can quibble with - their crackdown on internal extremists has been nothing short of miraculous when you consider that Wahabi Islam (the predominant brand of Islam in Saudi Arabia) is pretty puritanical and seen as extremist to many Muslims to begin with...AND the government there had tried to buy them off for years (I lived there from 76-91 so can tell you changes firsthand) before finally crqacking down militarily and socially....

US support for the "evil" Israel doesn't make us more prone to talking to 'terrorists', so I'm not sure what your point was there....maybe you're referring to Iran? I don't hear any democrats calling for t alking to Tehran, in fact, I see many on both sides of the aisle, and the UN, Arab League, and many more world organizations calling on Iran to give up plans for enriching Uranium....did you miss these? I guess your imagined 'lliberal' speaking to a terrorist really couldn't happen the way you imagine it to - no educated person would say these things to anyone, especially not an enemy of the US/West/Judeo-Christian world...

Sue

BA Middle East Studies - U of MIchigan

MA National Security Studies - Middle East focus National Military U

US Army 1991-2005 Arabic Translator/MI Iraq 2003-04 (OIF I)

"Aramco Brat" grew up in Saudi Arabi 1976-1991

Wondering about that - I think you can get the basic alphabet on-line - its the written word (letters change shape when written) that's a little confusing - but - a good text is elementary modern standard arabic I by rammuny (big orange book) - shows how everything sort of comes together word wise...

beginning conversation things - ahlan wa sahlan - welcome

shukran - thank you; min fadlak - please; saba al khair - good morning / masa al khair - good evening...

few phrases - khaif halik - how are you; bismillah a'rahman illah raheem - In the name of god the compassionate, the merciful; inshal'lah - if god wills it (it'll get done); ah'hamdullilah - in god's time (it will or won't get done)

Most dangerous man in the world, Bush? Hmm.. Guess Osama, Sadam, and those suicide bombers can't come close to Bush?

Being a proud military wife, it will be interesting to see what happens to our forces now. In the past, democrats have cut down our forces and were stingy on pay. Now that sounds a little dangerous to me.

Most dangerous man in the world, Bush? Hmm.. Guess Osama, Sadam, and those suicide bombers can't come close to Bush?

Being a proud military wife, it will be interesting to see what happens to our forces now. In the past, democrats have cut down our forces and were stingy on pay. Now that sounds a little dangerous to me.

First, the only thing that links Osama, Sadam and the suicide bombers is Bush.

Then, I was a proud service member AND a military wife and nothing I've said is intended to detract from the jobs our troops are doing. But Bush is binLaden's most valuable asset. He--bin Laden--would not have been able to unite almost all the Muslims on the planet without the staggering incompetence of the Moron-in-Chief. I don't think that in binLaden's very wettest dreams he ever imagined that we'd go into Iraq because of 9/11. (Well...no RATIONAL person would have done it or expected it. That would be like our attacking Canada because we're tired of the illegal immigration coming through Mexico.) But Dubya did it, and now, even the Muslims who WERE friendly now hate us...and for GOOD reason.

And...if establishing a democracy in the middle east is so important, why didn't we start with Saudi Arabia...that's a kingdom...not a democracy. Or, if threats to our security were important, why didn't we start with the kooks in Korea or Iran? No, Bush--through his monumental incompetence--is the most dangerous guy on two feet AND he's binLaden's secret weapon.

And...here's some Republican double talk in action:

•They "support" our troops, right? Been to a stateside VA Hospital lately? Have you noticed who is getting thrown OUT of those facilities? It's an eye-opener.

*And, Bush spends TRILLIONS of dollars and then says the Dems are going to raise the taxes? If one of your family members went ape shit on one of your credit cards, wouldn't you have to bite the bullet and start writing checks to pay for the party? Yeah...eventually our taxes will be going up, but not because the Dems spent our money...Dubya and his pussies in Congress did that.

(I didn't serve in Germany, but I lived there when DH did...3rd ID, in Kitzingen. We just visited a short while back. It sure has changed.)

Sue