Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The closer to my date, the scareder I am.

I think the reason we are all so nervous is partly because this is a voluntary surgery. We chose to have this surgery done. It's not as though the doctor has said your appendix has to come out and suddenly we are in the hospital. I am looking at this surgery as a medical necessity and not a voluntary surgery because if I don't have it, I will end up with diabetes, heart disease, stroke, or other co-morbidilty. There's no more risk in this surgery than there is in a laproscopic choly (gall bladder) but it's such a life changing surgery, requiring months of recovery (learning to eat again) that we think of it being a more difficult surgery for the surgeon but it's actually very routine. The death rate is less than 1/10 th of 1%. I like the odds, especially compared to the risks involved with remaining obese. But I'm admit, I am getting nervous too!

Exactly, it is voluntary. It is not like you are sick (other then overweight) You are voluntary giving up part of your stomach and changing your life, in the hopes you can be healthier. We would be crazy not to be nervous.

Thank you everyone for talking me down. I woke up at 2am to tinkle and could not get back to sleep for the fear and racing thoughts. I was online for 3 hours in the wee hrs researching everything. I was even tearful. I have had other more dangerous invasive surgeries where I was under for 5 hours at a time but That was a hip surgery and I was at the height of my painkiller addiction so I knew the payoff was that I would have more pills. ( I did not have surgery just to get pain pills lol although maybe someone in this world may have, I was born with congenital hip displaysia and HAD to have it done) This time is different because I am clean 7 yrs and I have said no to the Opiates. And being free and clear of mind altering meds makes me hyper Anxious. I keep telling myself I will be fine and its all in my head but I did have to break down and ask my doc for a minor Tranq. just so I can sleep and trust me I HATED doing it but I have to sleep cuz I have one more day at work and Wed is my big day.

Thanks for letting me vent and be so open about all of this and thanks to all who replied and made me feel better. I will sigh a huge sigh of relief on Wed evening when all is said and done and hopefully ( toes crossed) no complications!

Thanks Dolls,

Jan

Congrats for over comming addiction... Everything will be great although i have til March 20th for my surgery I've been on the scared coaster as well i will say a prayer for you!

Jan, awesome job at recovering from your addiction, I have faith in you that you will do great with your surgery and remember that this site is here for you and all of us so we can talk about our feeling and whatever we are thinking with no judgement and knowing that many of us have the same fears about surgery it should not be something that anyone goes into lightly surgery is a major step on helping us all become healthier.

Hey! I have severe anxiety also. I know how you feel..its always worry...think...worry...think. i have read up on the complications eeekkkk bad idea for me! Lol. But what ever my mind is on is where it stays ...so just focus your attention on something you love a hobby..something your kids are into at the moment. Finding good deals on supplements is what im stuck on for the next couple of days.

I'm having second thoughts to . My surgery is in the morning at 6 . I'm so scared I had breast cancer 7 yrs ago did a masectomy and wasn't scared . I don't know what is going on with me . I keep thinking of the worse . My daughter told me mom you been through alot your breast was by your heart this is just a stomache . I wanted to say Just . Lol but ill leave it to God .. It's here and I'm excited and nervous .

Stacie

I'm having second thoughts to . My surgery is in the morning at 6 . I'm so scared I had breast cancer 7 yrs ago did a masectomy and wasn't scared . I don't know what is going on with me . I keep thinking of the worse . My daughter told me mom you been through alot your breast was by your heart this is just a stomache . I wanted to say Just . Lol but ill leave it to God .. It's here and I'm excited and nervous .

Stacie

Good luck prayers :)

Well i'm a full blown mess. I start my liquid diet tomorrow. Bit off someone's head at home because they dared order papa johns pizza for dinner and I went out and got food from a great italian place instead. I was going on and on about my last meal. Everyone else will be going back to solids within 4-6 weeks. I will be on liquids for 8 solid weeks and then another month of transition back to solids. Believe me....the liquid diet I start tomorrow....is already making me crazy.

Add to that the general feeling like if something goes wrong it'll be all my fault, yada yada. I really just need to be on the other side of this... I did my pre admission testing tonight...then i ate my gniocci and last bit of cake.... sigh. this is so hard and I haven't even had the surgery yet.

What a freaking pity party i am.

Well i'm a full blown mess. I start my liquid diet tomorrow. Bit off someone's head at home because they dared order papa johns pizza for dinner and I went out and got food from a great italian place instead. I was going on and on about my last meal. Everyone else will be going back to solids within 4-6 weeks. I will be on liquids for 8 solid weeks and then another month of transition back to solids. Believe me....the liquid diet I start tomorrow....is already making me crazy.

Add to that the general feeling like if something goes wrong it'll be all my fault' date=' yada yada. I really just need to be on the other side of this... I did my pre admission testing tonight...then i ate my gniocci and last bit of cake.... sigh. this is so hard and I haven't even had the surgery yet.

What a freaking pity party i am.[/quote']

When is your surgery?

Don't worry you will do great ! Your in the surgery room get anesthesia and you wake up all done ! Seems like you closed your eyes for a min.

Ugh you poor thing I also suffer from anxiety an im sure the closer I to my surgery (feb 20th) the worse it will get. Just keep telling yourself it'll be fine an all be worth it...literally jus keep repeating it over an over try not to think negative I know it's easier said then done but these procedures are so common now a days an the anesthesiologist gets paid a TON of money to keep us safe. I promise ill keep u in my prayers... Best of luck I know it'll all turn out great!!

When is your surgery?

It's the 5th, today was a better day. Feels like I've got permanent Water belly though. This liquid thing is already old.

My surgery is 1/29 and I'm getting more and more nervous. I was so confident in my choice and now I'm just scared I'm making the wrong decision.

I'm so happy you finally had your surgery! I was following your insurance appeals and was almost as excited as you were to se that you were approved!! How are things going post-op??