Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

C-Pap .... how do you know when to stop using?

Who was on a C-pap machine prior to surgery, and how long did it take to be rid of it? How did you know you no longer needed it? I am 3 months post op, and I was just wondering how to tell. Did you have to have another sleep study done?

I just called yesterday and they said when your close to goal but I'm only three weeks out and 20 lbs down and my machine was blowing air in my stomach and making me burp over and over! They said to turn it down from 12 to 10 so I did and it is much better.

weight.png

I'm having the stomach air issues as well, along with horrible dry mouth that I never had pre-op. One night my gums got a cut because they got stuck to my teeth. I've noticed my AHI and leak scores are all worse post-op. I've turned down my pressure range on my s8 autoset, but it seems to be adjusting up anyway during the night and my AHI is slightly worse at the lower start pressure. I'm loving this surgery but my cpap which I've used successfully since 1993 is now making me crazy. I also feel slightly worse in the mornings now. I can't wait to break up with the little monster.

Also I've heard (anecdotally) that at a pressure in the 5-6 range cpap isn't doing much and can be discontinued once you get that low. But please check with your pulmonologist.

I had lost a bunch of weight on weight watchers in the past and when i got to a point i would feel sore in my lungs when i would wake up so i scheduled a sleep study and they reduced the levels on the cpap, i then gained the weight back and had to have it turned back up.

I can't wait to throw 'the little monster' out the flipping window. Alas, I fear that I will have to go back to my sleep doc for official permission to stop use, which I presume will only come with yet more appointments, money and other sleep study. I'm at a 9 right now, and don't think I can adjust it myself. I hate every moment with the damn thing.

I used one pre-op. I'd say around 9 months after, I started waking up choking at night... so I ditched it and I'm fine.

Having said that, I had an APAP, not CPAP (same thing only instead of constant pressure, it was automatic pressure and adjusted itself with every breath).

Not that I advocate self adjustment but I've yet to see a model where the clinician menu can't be easily accessed to adjust your own settings. On mine you hold down a certain 2 buttons while plugging it in.

I do find I'm choking/coughing a bit just this last week on it. This surgery has really thrown my cpap therapy for a loop. So worth it though.

About three weeks post-op and down significant weight, I decided to take the thing back after sleeping like a baby for several days in row. To this day, I sleep better than I have in years. You'll eventually hit a point when you no longer need it but until then, try and use it as much as you can.

Not that I advocate self adjustment but I've yet to see a model where the clinician menu can't be easily accessed to adjust your own settings. On mine you hold down a certain 2 buttons while plugging it in.

Huh. Thanks!!!!

I was told I had sleep apnea also,I tried really hard to use the machine,it freaked me out to have I on my face.but I did you it a few times. When it lost it suction and started blowing in my face,that made me crazy,so I quit using it. Took it to the hospital with as per instructed,they never even put it on me. After I was home,I tried to use a couple more times,but I just quit using it,I returned it,because my INS company,paid rent on it month to month.I did have to sign a paper I was returning it against drs orders. But im happier with out it.

I am 5 months out and 70 lbs down. We were displaced for 6 weeks because of hurricane Sandy so I didn't have my machine. Family said I snored. Also, I had eye surgery last week and while under, the doctor said he could tell II had sleep apnea because my O2 levels were down. So. I will keep the stupid machine until I reach goal, about another 40-59 pounda, then go for another sleep study.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I stopped using mine because of the horrible dry mouth even with the humidifier all the way up. I never really snored but made weird noises when I would have apnea. My husband hasn't complained about it at all.

I just switched to a mouthpiece for snoring , and obstructed sleep apnea called pure sleep. I have a c pap ... Hate it !

So I did some experimentation last night with some good but unexpected results. The background: I'm 6 weeks post op with a total pre/post loss of 63 pounds, current weight 333. I've always been a 12cm pressure on my cpap and the pre-op study confirmed that. I use an auto cpap and I knew post-op that 12 was too much so I changed it to range starting at 10 and going up higher as I needed it during the night. I've had worsening stats in the morning ever since surgery though and horrible dry mouth and plenty of air in my sleeve. I've even tried mouth taping to keep me from blowing out my mouth. My leaks were .6-.7 range with AHI in the 6-10 range. Pre-op my leaks were around .3 and AHI was 4-5 range.

I had tried lowering starting pressure to 9 but the auto titration was still increasing me overnight to over 10, with bad mouth leaks and waking up with a moonscape on my tongue and gums stuck to teeth.

Last night I threw caution to the wind and set my min pressure to 7.4 and my max to 9.8. Results: no dry mouth this morning, max pressure reached 8.2 overnight, leak was a paltry .16 and AHI was an unheard of 2.0!

So my theory is that the old start pressure was too high causing high mouth leaks which the machine compensated for by increasing the pressure and just compounding the problem because it cannot tell mouth leaks from mask leaks. I expected my leaks to go down but to see my AHI go down too was a pleasant surprise that may indicate my bad stats since surgery were central hypopneas and apneas cause d by more pressure than I needed. At this rate I could be off my cpap in a few months, and I've been on that thing since 1993!